Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #61
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
Have any of you guys ever worked on an old Honda? Parts are cheap and readily available.

I converted my old oil filter to a BMW spin on, now that is pricey. My old filters were $5, BMW I think I paid $30 for?!?

If she wants a Dream, she's got great taste. I'd be pissed if my GF tried to steer me in the direction of something I didn't want.

And if you can't figure out how to do the maintenance on a Dream you have no business riding a bike in the first place.
four years ago i was unable to find carb parts for a 1976 cb750 supersport .needed needle and seat so used wouldn't do . also a tank petcock and ignition switch. this was a huge seller for honda and parts are difficult and expensive. if you have a source for these kinds of parts i would be thankful for the info.

farmerstu screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 02:56 PM Reason: missed a few letters
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #62
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
I have to say that while a 305 sure would be a cool bike to have, as a learner-bike, machinery has improved and the performance boost is nice - not just for racers. The easy reliability of a modern bike can make riding better and more confident for a beginner.

Recently I test rode customer's a 2011 Honda CBR 250 R after righting some crash damage at a buddy's shop and I was quite impressed with the bike. Small without being cramped, light but sure-footed, very easy clutch and much more grunt than you'd ever expect from a 250cc single - they really geared it right. I'd certainly have her 'try one on'.

Even at the top end of your budget it's worth it if her first experiences are good ones.

RedShark screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 04:41 PM
RedShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #63
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 925
Pics from todays shoping

No purchase yet.

Riding the CB550 FTW.

She also rode to the dream again. I think her heart is set.

I also rode both. On the dream the brakes not great and the gear box is clunky, but it is pretty nimble.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #64
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
That's a really clean cb550 - if you are up to that level of bike care, get what you want ! The older stuff you see out here is just shot and would be hard to put into daily use
RedShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #65
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,750
Nice! Very Very Nice!

Is that a "Stich" flannel she's wearing???
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #66
Bobby Ginger OP
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Nice! Very Very Nice!

Is that a "Stich" flannel she's wearing???

Thats stitch's lumberjack flaming red. 369.99 new for last winter!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #67
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ginger View Post
Thats stitch's lumberjack flaming red. 369.99 new for last winter!
Nice! Growing up in the great state O Maine.......I understand that.
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #68
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Don't be put off by the "crotch rocket" looks of the 250 Ninja. The seating position is upright and more standard than sport. The older models were pretty comfortable and made pretty good touring bikes. One guy on this forum went two up to South America on one. While a small dual sport would make a better learner bike, they aren't very comfortable on longer rides.

Many people are suggesting 650s. That might work out if your GF is fairly large, athletic, or just extremely well coordinated and confident. If not, you are taking a big chance on souring her on the whole experience if the bike ends up too much for her. I can't tell you how many women ( and some men) that I have seen on bikes that were just too large and intimidating for them. It's painful to watch as the try to park their bikes on gravel or a slight slope and then drop them.

250 is a good size to start on. The TU250 is a good alternative to the 250 Ninja but has much less performance.
Got my wife her first bike a 1999 GZ250 , same thing as the TU250 but in the crusier style Suzuki doesn't make anymore.

It was for her to learn to ride around town but we just got back from an Atlanta to Destin and back trip to the beach.
It's light, not fast and not expensive, She's still happy but out growing it fast.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #69
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ginger View Post
No purchase yet.

Riding the CB550 FTW.

She also rode to the dream again. I think her heart is set.

I also rode both. On the dream the brakes not great and the gear box is clunky, but it is pretty nimble.
That would have been the alternative bike I would suggest to the 305. Darn good bikes, those CBs.

I have to say, I would love to have the 305. I have always had good luck with old Hondas. You may have to hunt for a part to get it roadworthy, but you'll likely never have to repair it again.

Besides, it was ahead of it's time, since the drum brakes act just like ABS.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote