ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Deviant666 OP
Present

Oddometer: 531
Power commander & autotune...question...

Have the PC V & autotune bundle. Autotune comes with a single sensor...how can I make sure that both cylinders are optimally tuned? Do I have to make two holes on the manifold? If not where should it be the one that I have to make? P.S.Mousitsas, don't bother...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
The standard PC5 will only create 1 offset map as far as i know, active for both fuel maps. So the sensor could be best off in the 2 in 1 header at the 1 pipe, if you have a 2 in one. otherwise i'd take the front pipe as that one is running the leanest.

Get the harley kit:
For Harley Davidson models we ever monitor and adjust each cylinder individually for increased precision as on these models required fueling can vary significantly between the front and rear cylinder.

I see there is a universal dual channel kit as well that you can use. The AT-300. what kit did you buy? Probably the AT-100 that can do one sensor only.

StevenD screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 07:54 AM
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Let us know how you like the bundle after you've played with it for a bit!

I've always wondered what one of those autotune thing was like and how well it would work on the 990.

Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Deviant666 OP
Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
The standard PC5 will only create 1 offset map as far as i know, active for both fuel maps. So the sensor could be best off in the 2 in 1 header at the 1 pipe, if you have a 2 in one. otherwise i'd take the front pipe as that one is running the leanest.

Get the harley kit:
For Harley Davidson models we ever monitor and adjust each cylinder individually for increased precision as on these models required fueling can vary significantly between the front and rear cylinder.

I see there is a universal dual channel kit as well that you can use. The AT-300. what kit did you buy? Probably the AT-100 that can do one sensor only.
Thanks, it's the AT-200, still one sensor...I run dual Akras not a 2 in 1...I'm also going to install an ITG air Filter with a custom base plate (it's exactly like the CPR but a lot cheaper).

So from what I understand you recommend to place the sensor nearest to the front cylinder (the pdf installation file recommends about 6" away) because the back cylinder runs a bit richer (due to maybe less cooling?).

Is there a way (besides opening a second hole at the manifold) to approach optimal settings for both cylinders? Can I use the points at which the O2 sensors are getting their readings?

Deviant666 screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 08:55 AM
Deviant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Deviant666 OP
Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Let us know how you like the bundle after you've played with it for a bit!

I've always wondered what one of those autotune thing was like and how well it would work on the 990.

Will do, but from other threads around here the results for the 2009+ bikes are encouraging to say the least (that's why I bought it). They've reported an increase in hp and smoothing of how the bike runs...you can also have two maps at the flick of a switch (one for performance and one for improved consumption)...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Dynodusty
n00b

Oddometer: 8
If you wanted to use the Autotune to map each cylinder technically you could. Install the Autotune sensor in one of the downpipes, let Autotune build a map for that cylinder. Once you are satisfied with that map save the map. Then repeat for the other cylinder. Once you have both maps go into the software and ADVANCE the map. Paste the individual map tables into this new map and SEND it. If you continue to run Autotune in either cylinder then it will make the same adjustment for both.
Dynodusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Deviant666 OP
Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynodusty View Post
If you wanted to use the Autotune to map each cylinder technically you could. Install the Autotune sensor in one of the downpipes, let Autotune build a map for that cylinder. Once you are satisfied with that map save the map. Then repeat for the other cylinder. Once you have both maps go into the software and ADVANCE the map. Paste the individual map tables into this new map and SEND it. If you continue to run Autotune in either cylinder then it will make the same adjustment for both.
Thanks a lot for the above info. Nevertheless, it's still not very clear as to whether I'm supposed to install the sensor sequentially at different downpipe locations for both cylinders. In simple words: do I have to make two different holes, one near each cylinder? If that's the case any ideas about how to close both when the kit comes only with 1 plug?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Dynodusty
n00b

With the PCV you will disable the stock O2 sensors. The Autotune O2 sensor can go directly into the stock O2 location which makes things very easy.

If you want to take an average of both cylinders you will have to weld on your own bung somewhere at the cross over.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #9
Deviant666 OP
Present

Quote:
With the PCV you will disable the stock O2 sensors. The Autotune O2 sensor can go directly into the stock O2 location which makes things very easy.

If you want to take an average of both cylinders you will have to weld on your own bung somewhere at the cross over.
Thanks Dynodusty...I ll post the results as soon as I tune things up....
Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
P.S.Mousitsas, don't bother...
I cannot not bother!

DynoDusty, could you please clear out whether you can feel the autotune correcting while you ride, or not?
Or do the changes become apparent from the seat point of view, only once you connect the laptop and accept the trims?

mousitsas screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 06:52 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Deviant666 OP
Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I cannot not bother!

DynoDusty, could you please clear out whether you can feel the autotune correcting while you ride, or not?
Or do the changes become apparent from the seat point of view, only once you connect the laptop and accept the trims?
Will you bump it or should I?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Dynodusty
n00b

The Autotune from Dynojet makes changes WHILE you ride. In the config menu it defaults to +/- 20. this means that during a ride the autotune has the ability to makes changes up to 20% on top of your base map. Lets says your map is WAY off, during a ride it can alter the map 20% and then it will stop. For it to make any further changes you need to ACCEPT the trim tables and it will take those values and add then to your base map and clear out the trim table. Now the system can go another +/- 20 on your next ride. Once the map is close to optimum I change the +/- to 8.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The Autotune from Dynojet makes changes WHILE you ride. In the config menu it defaults to +/- 20. this means that during a ride the autotune has the ability to makes changes up to 20% on top of your base map. Lets says your map is WAY off, during a ride it can alter the map 20% and then it will stop. For it to make any further changes you need to ACCEPT the trim tables and it will take those values and add then to your base map and clear out the trim table. Now the system can go another +/- 20 on your next ride. Once the map is close to optimum I change the +/- to 8.
So the answer is no.
Can you accept the trims while you ride, via a switch or something, or do you have to stop and plug a laptop ?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Dynodusty
n00b

The changes are happening while you are riding, so you can feel the difference if there is one to be felt while riding. To accept the changes you must use a laptop.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #15
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The changes are happening while you are riding, so you can feel the difference if there is one to be felt while riding. To accept the changes you must use a laptop.
This clear things up, thanks! I didn't understand your previous post (#12).