ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,786
Thinking about joining in with the wifey.

Any hotels/motels close to the starting point?

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #17
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Thinking about joining in with the wifey.

Any hotels/motels close to the starting point?
Your best bet for a hotel near the starting point is in Peachtree City. I don't think there are any hotels in Senoia. Might be a B&B in Senoia? There is a cluster of hotels near Hwy 54 & 74 in PTC and plenty of places to eat right there. Lots of stuff right there at that intersection.

Or if you want to be just a little closer, there is a Best Western on Crosstown Dr near Hwy 74. There are a few eating places near there too, although mostly fast food, but might be 1 or 2 that aren't.

Since its PTC, those hotels might be a bit pricier, not really sure, never looked into it. If those don't work for you, your next bet is staying in Newnan near Exit 41 (Hwy 29 & I-85). This is one exit south of the main Newnan exit 47 at Bullsboro Dr. There are about 4 hotels right there at Exit 41 in that area although again mostly just fast food and Waffle/Huddle house. The good restaurants are all in Newnan off of Bullsboro.

Its about a 15 mile ride from that location to the starting point in Senoia along Hwy 16. I live just north of there so I'll be riding in that same hwy Sat morning.

I didn't post up on here, but my parent's live in south PTC near Robinson & Peachtree Pky about 6 miles from the starting point and they have a spare bedroom. My mom will actually be out of town, so it will just be my Dad there, but he's a rider. If you aren't shy, I can set up for you to stay there.

Let me know if I can help you out at all with where to stay.

Edit. Just noticed you are coming from FL. Newnan is a bit further south than PTC, but then again its further West over by I-85 which isn't exactly on the way from FL. If you are coming up I-75 from FL, you might be better staying over in Griffin off 19/41. It's probably about the same distance from Senoia as Newnan, but from the East instead and closer for you coming up from FL.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 07:35 AM
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Thanks bud!

Looks like PTC will work since it's also where I would need to park the car/trailer at Dave's place.

Thanks for the offer on the room but we'll probably be arriving late Friday night.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZDIVER View Post
BlueLightning,
How much of this route is paved above Hwy 96? My friend lives in Crawford county, and we could join in at Hwy 96, unless there is a lot of dirt above 96. We could go to the start if need be.
Our first fuel stop is in Talbotton, GA just north of Hwy 96 which would be a point for you to meet us, however there is some kick butt dirt for about 20-30 minutes before that that I think is well worth hitting. One of the places we hit just before there I named the "Dixon Trail" and is quite fun. It's a pretty good "goat trail" that is a bit challenging. We cross Hwy 41 about right in the middle between Manchester and Woodland and that is where the really fun section of dirt starts. There is more dirt before then, but its spread out a bit. We do cross a pretty cool "covered bridge" in Gay, GA.

Other than Talbotton, we don't really go through any towns that I can think of between there. I could provide you tracks that you could run backwards until you run into us.

Let me study the map some more and look at this.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #20
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Thanks bud!

Looks like PTC will work since it's also where I would need to park the car/trailer at Dave's place.

Thanks for the offer on the room but we'll probably be arriving late Friday night.
Okay, cool. Yeah Dave's place isn't too far from Hwy 54/74 or even Crosstown Dr for that matter.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
nice!

Damn Dan, this looks like some fun riding. Would it be any fun on a 950? I have sold my thumper, and miss it bunches.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Damn Dan, this looks like some fun riding. Would it be any fun on a 950? I have sold my thumper, and miss it bunches.
Mike, you of all people I'm sure will be fine on a 950, even if its muddy. You'll probably show up half the thumpers on that beast! Flux plans on coming on his 950 and you are a better rider than him, right!

There are actually plenty of places that big motor will be awesome to wind out and other places you'll be working it a bit, but nothing you can't handle. So far we have a couple aggressive guys I'll be sending up front to play and then those that wish to hang back and travel at a slower pace is no problem either. It will be a lot of fun!

SpeedyR also plans on coming on his 950SE.

I still have nightmares of that time you came up behind me at Ralph's on that 640(?) with bald tires and came around me on my GasGas300 like I was stopped.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 11:03 AM
Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #23
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Thanks bud!

So should I add you and your wife to the list? What will she be riding?

Are you on a DRZ400?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
So should I add you and your wife to the list? What will she be riding?

Are you on a DRZ400?

Not sure if the wife's coming or not. If she does, she'll be on her DRZ. We'll see as the week progresses. If she doesn't come along, my FIL will most likely take her place.

I'll be there on my XRR.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Not sure if the wife's coming or not. If she does, she'll be on her DRZ. We'll see as the week progresses. If she doesn't come along, my FIL will most likely take her place.

I'll be there on my XRR.
Okay cool. Well we'll look forward to either you and your wife or you and your FIL.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #26
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #27
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 873
If I do not go out of town for work I am in! I'll be on the TE450. I need to talk to this Dave guy about parking.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #28
KTMexcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Wicked

Damn, not sure if I want to ride the 990 or the 525
Count me in.
KTMexcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #29
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
If I get my leave approved today I will be working hard all day tomorrow on the DR to get it ready for next weekend. To be honest this will be my first DS ride since breaking my foot over a year ago.. It will also be my first DS ride on this DR since selling my 990 and 690. Boy its been a long long haul getting this foot to heal up and feeling confident enough to ride off road again. I just hope I can still wear my Sidi boots.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #30
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

For those of you that are needing to park your vehicles, Dave (Davenjai) is a member here on ADV and you can PM him, or you can e-mail him at the same username @gmail.

I just sent him a text this morning giving him a heads up that a few people would need to be contacting him.

Just give him a heads up that you are coming for the dual sport ride to Cuthbert at the end of the month so he knows who you are.