ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #76
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 938
Hope every one made it home safe. The thunder started as soon as I got into Senoia. Great trip.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #77
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Here's my synopsis of the 2 days of the ride.

What, can I say, this ride definitely turned out to be an adventure. I definitely had my hands full with such a large group and pretty diverse set of skill levels. I think we started with 21 people and 9 people completed the full two days in the main group. Well, Drz Z, his FIL & Sanjoh I think followed the route on Sunday, but did in their own smaller group and Bobby Ginger hung with us up until Buena Vista on Sunday.

Dave and I have done this route a few times now and this by far was the driest its been which meant roads we've been on before that were no issue with traction were now sandy and dusty and roads which had been some sand were even worse. Like I mentioned earlier, a quick rain shower would have made things so much nicer. Even dealing with some mud wouldn't have been bad.

Good thing I can definitely say is I'm become very comfy in the sand. Its hard to sink in your head, but when you start feeling the bike getting sucked in to the deep sand, you just pin it and hold on. Those little gerbil's in the WRR go into over drive. I was amazed when I had to back track on a sand road to find people, I'd see tracks that went from one side of the road to the other and squiggly tracks that went everywhere. :crackup: I'm sure that's what makes it tougher on the newbies is they already have to attend with sand they aren't comfortable with, but when other's go through and leave tracks, especially crooked tracks, it makes it even tougher.

Saturday was a long day with the couple crashes and getting Tom picked up, but thankfully it was a shorter mileage day and most of us were able to do the entire route. Some chose to head into Cuthbert early, and that was fine. Once you start getting tired, you start making mistakes and getting hurt.

We had 2 crashes on Saturday pretty close to each other before lunch. We had just started to get into the deep sand roads and Cheryl on the Sherpa went down twice in close succession in the sand and the 2nd time hurt her shoulder bad enough she just wanted to ride on the street and take a break from the sand. The back of the group had fallen way back because of this, so I ended back tracking trying to find them. My wife called to tell me what happened and that she was there with them and everyone was fine, but they needed an alternate route into town. I finally found them and after talking to my wife Sarah who was on the XT225, she wasn't having any fun on the sand either, so she volunteered to lead Bob & Cheryl & Allen into Lumpkin where we were supposed to have lunch. The group had got pretty split there with most everyone else way up ahead waiting on me, so I had called Dave ahead to say everything was good, just keep everyone there and I'd be back. Well for some reason, Tom on the TE610 decided to jump on his bike and head back towards me, but he didn't even make it past the first curve where they had stopped and hit a tree pretty good. I was on my way back to the front of the group and pick up any stragglers I had passed on the way back when I had got the call from Eddie that Tom had crashed and was hurt. I get up to Tom and realize he's done a number on his chest and isn't going to be riding out of there. I look on the map and see we are only 10 miles from Buena Vista and call my wife back (thank goodness for BT headsets) and tell her to hold tight in Buena Vista and that I had to figure something out. In the mean time, I get on the phone to my Dad and get him headed south and then have figure out how to get Tom and his bike to Buena Vista so we can get him out of the sun and cooled down. I know my wife can ride my WRR in a pinch so I get her to double up with Allen on the KLR and come back to us. We eventually get Tom on the KLR with me riding him into town, my wife on my WRR, and Allen on Tom's Husky. It took awhile, but it all worked out and we had Tom headed home with my Dad.

Overall minus the crashes, it was still a great day on Sat and I think things went fairly well considering the size of the group. With Saturday being such a workout, I knew a few people probably weren't going to want to participate on Sunday and I really hope they all had a good ride home. I hate to see anyone leave and not get to enjoy the ride, but then again everyone knows their own limits and when it stops being fun for them. Cheryl & Bob decided they were just going to trek back on the street. I knew with things being so dry and no rain over night, the sand was going to be worse on Sunday and it was, so my wife Sarah opted to head back with Gary on Elsinore and Allen on the KLR. I really hated that Sarah wasn't going to be joining us Sunday, but this was her first time back in some serious sand since her bad crash in 2010, so she just wasn't feeling it and probably the best to just work her way back into the sand a little here and there. Garry's 70's era Elsinore had taken a beating on Saturday and he wasn't sure she was up to another full day of torture so he opted for a street ride back also. Allen had fun on Sat, but he's pretty new to the off road world and said he was going to enjoy a nice relaxing ride back too. Dustin really wanted to join us, but he had promised his wife, he'd be home early, so he was doing a street ride back solo. We had a bunch of the ADV crew still on Sunday plus Dave, Eddie, Kith, SpeedyR, & myself for about a total off 11 riders for Sunday's ride home. Dr Z, his FIL, & Sanjoh had stayed at someone's house Sat night, so they didn't join us Sunday, but I heard they followed the route and had a good ride on Sunday themselves. We did pick up Tooly from down in Cuthbert for the morning part of the ride, so for a little while we had 12 riders on the way back. I really hate to see anyone miss the ride, but it sounds like everyone that headed home still enjoyed themselves. With the smaller group, we also made better time on the way back.

I was bummed to see we didn't get any rain over night as that meant things were still going to be dry and dusty and they were. The 2 bridge crossings went fairly well without incident. The rutted out road turned out to be an adventure though. The small ledge to squeeze by the big ravine has gotten smaller and Bobby Ginger on the Husky 450 took a tumble into the ravine! I think it took 6 of us to get his bike out. Steve on the KTM 450 and Derrick on the black DRZ400 jumped the ravine which was pretty dang impressive! Both of them actually made it look pretty easy. We had a couple people make the run around the deep ravine only to crash into one of the other small holes up a bit further. haha. We have lots of video and pics of that I'm sure we'll get posted.

By the time we got to the half bridge creek crossing, Kith had decided to break off and head home and Dave's sprockets had had it, so he went a different way to later meet back up with us. He knew that creek crossing was going to be hard with a worn sprocket and good thing because that turned out to be a challenging bit too. That left about a group of 9 of us. The creek crossing was looking a bit more difficult than last time, but still very doable. We had a couple guys take a dirt nap as they went across the far bank, but were fine. Bobby Ginger on the TE450 ended up burrying his bike up to the axles in the soft silty bottom of the creek bed, so it was 3 of us getting him unstuck, but he got it. LOL.

We met bike up with Dave and continued on so we were back up to 10. We did manage to find food in Buene Vista on Sunday, so it was actually nice to grab a bite to eat. Bobby broke off from there while the rest of us continued on. We started to find some moisture and even mud around the Dixon trail area and even decided to go back by Tire Iron guy and even found some mud around there. Thankfully he stayed on his porch this time. After the covered bridge which is about 20 miles out from Senoia, we suited up for the rain, but it honestly never came down more than just a light drizzle. Those last few roads were a blast. Dave tightened his chain about a half dozen times and managed to keep the DR650 going all day. Derrick on the DRZ400 got to watch me launch off a rock over a rise in the hill going about 60mph and land in the small ditch. The bike tried to swap ends a few times and then I rode it right out and kept going! haha

Overall, Sunday turned out to be a great day we somehow avoided the monsoon that was over Atlanta although I think we would have appreciated some rain for how dry it was.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 10:11 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #78
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Derrick's jump over the ravine on a DRZ400

For those that missed the rutted road on Sunday, let me tell you, its intimidating and every time we get there, its more rutted and less room to get around the big ravine that has formed. The path most of us take is in the background right up against the wall. Its pretty safe as long as you just keep your speed up. You basically bank off the wall and then head up the hill trying to stay to the right. By this point, Steve on the KTM 450 had already jumped the ravine which was pretty impressive, and Bobby Ginger had fallen in the ravine with his TE450 as he tried to scoot along the way, but I wasn't expecting anyone else to jump it. I'm standing in the ravine with Steve, and you can see Jeff up on top also recording video and we are just getting people as they come by on the leged. It's over 6 foot deep in places, so definitely not something you want to fall in to. All of a sudden, we hear Derrick DRZDIVER's son coming up fast on the DRZ400 and he jumps right over the ravine with 2 of us standing down in it!

We didn't realize that he was about to do this, so catching it all on video was actually just a fluke and glad I had the camera going.

The Launch

Up goes the front!

Just about to lift off!

We have lift off

Not much to launch up from, so he's actually going down

Looking good though

Right over the ravine

Body position is up and ready for impact!

Touch down!

Suspension is starting to compress

Full rear suspension compression!

Taking the full force of the hit now!

Still looking good!

Front wheel makes contact

And he's landed it!

Not done yet though, one more decent hole to get over!

and he launches off that one!

I'll get the actual video up shortly! :
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #79
DirtNazi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
great ride

what an epic ride... This was our first overnight adventure ride and it couldn't have been better..bluelightning did a great job organizing the routes and keeping everyone together. The riding was top notch and everyone was great. This was the first ride ive done since i pepped up the DRZ with jetting and a pipe and i couldnt be happier with the performance. Can't wait to do it again..
DirtNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #80
DirtNazi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
thanks

Thanks for posting Bluelightning that looked way more impressive than it felt
DirtNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #81
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtNazi View Post
what an epic ride... This was our first overnight adventure ride and it couldn't have been better..bluelightning did a great job organizing the routes and keeping everyone together. The riding was top notch and everyone was great. This was the first ride ive done since i pepped up the DRZ with jetting and a pipe and i couldnt be happier with the performance. Can't wait to do it again..
Is that you Derrick?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #82
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtNazi View Post
Thanks for posting Bluelightning that looked way more impressive than it felt
It was good riding with you Derrick and I think our skill levels were pretty close between, you me and Dave, so that was fun. We had a lot of fun mixing it up out there on the ride.

Dan
Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #83
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
DRZDIVER, I have a good video following you in the rut. You tried to get out but it pulled you back in . I will post as soon as it's done uploading.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #84
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
DRZDIVER, I have a good video following you in the rut. You tried to get out but it pulled you back in . I will post as soon as it's done uploading.
If you are talking about the TE450 going into the ravine, that's actually Bobby Ginger. DRZDIVER was on a yellow DRZ400.

I have video of Bobby also, I'll be posting in a bit when it finishes uploading.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #85
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
If you are talking about the TE450 going into the ravine, that's actually Bobby Ginger. DRZDIVER was on a yellow DRZ400.

I have video of Bobby also, I'll be posting in a bit when it finishes uploading.
it's DRZDIVER, the dad. I also have the vide of his son jumping the crevasse
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #86
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

If the video of me in the ravine "disappears" my heart would not be broken . It was good riding with you guys picked up some skills following a few of you. I commented in the CADS forum on how well I felt I rode in the sand and how poorly I rode on the rutted fire roads. Looks like i need some experience in those conditions. Thanks to all of those who help me dig my bike out of some tough spots .
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #87
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ginger View Post
If the video of me in the ravine "disappears" my heart would not be broken . It was good riding with you guys picked up some skills following a few of you. I commented in the CADS forum on how well I felt I rode in the sand and how poorly I rode on the rutted fire roads. Looks like i need some experience in those conditions. Thanks to all of those who help me dig my bike out of some tough spots .
Hey, we can't let you get away that easy now! You did appear to be very comfortable in the sand and I followed you for a good bit down that road with the water breaks and all. That was a lot of fun. I was getting pretty tired there, so I was glad to hang back and relax a bit.

Tooly who was on the Husky 449 and joined for a little bit Sunday Morning posted these pictures of your TE450 going in the hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolguy1
This was kinda scary..................luckily he was OK.

There's only about 12 inches still remaining on the very edge to pass on. If you miss it, it's 4 feet straight down. This section is eroding very quickly now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolguy1
Here's another shot of it...........

A couple of the guys actually jumped it!! About 5 feet straight up the middle to a rutted landing area.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #88
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

So here's my two vids of the Ravine crossing.

1st video
- Sean on the Husaberg FE390 (Clean Run)
- Steve on the KTM 450 jumps the ravine (Makes it look easy, but I missed getting the ravine in the frame)
- Eddie on the WR250R (Clean Run, but tries to take out Tooly at the top)
- Kith on the DR650 (Makes it past the ravine, but falls into the wall)
- Bobby on the TE450 (Goes in the ravine. Extraction on video)
- I climb down in the ravine
- Jeff (SpeedyR) comes by on the KTM 950SE (A little difficulty climbing the hill)

This is the 2nd video.

Chris_D on the Blue DR650 makes it by the ravine only to stop short in a smaller hole further up. Its hard to tell, but his feet come totally off the pegs. Thankfully he had some help to get his bike out of there. You can kind of tell from my vantage point, but its a pretty steep climb up there too.

Next up is Dave who isn't quite sure he wants the audience now. Dave's chain was slipping bad here on the worn out sprocket, so all that clankity clap you hear is his chain.

Following Dave is Derrick on the DRZ400. Steve and I were switching places down in the ravine and you can tell I didn't realize he was coming. I'm glad I got the shot though!

Last up is DRZDIVER (Derrick's Dad) on a yellow DRZ400.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #89
DRZDIVER
MidGA

Oddometer: 12
Eddie and Bobby down at the same time

Eddie, the rut you are talking about was a downhill slimy mud section that I slid into, and made deeper as I rode it out. It probably looks funny with my legs sticking out for balance. I had the camera running when Bobby uprooted some more vines and fell over. Bobby collested several varities of flora during the trip. He did tell me he was a horoculturist or something. When you tried to stop for him, I got you falling down. 2 down at the same time....
DRZDIVER
DRZDIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #90
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Dave's front sprocket at the hotel Sat night when he finally figured out he had a problem!

When Dave got home Sunday! haha