User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
daviduk OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Crf London to Mongolia

Hi, I'm in the final prep for departure on the 3rd May 2015.
The servicing of my 2014 CRF250L and a 1001 other things need to be done. I have fitted Mefo heavy duty tubes and Mitas E07 tyres. Got the slightly larger fuel tank and a few other goodies from Adventure Spec Uk. I have spent much of the winter playing with the seat. I've flattened it out and have a Airhawk Seat, on a practice trip to the Stella Rally last Summer. I rode 400 miles a day on the rain soaked back roads of France, covering the 800 miles in 2 days. The Crf250l proved to be excellent for solo long haul riding. For those not familiar with the Stella, it's a Motorbike meet, 2nd weekend in July each year. The aim is to ride as far as you can up a Italian Mountain towards a Glacier at 12000ft, strangely I managed it once. 2 up on a Suzuki GSX750 in the early 90's. The late summer snow has beaten me ever since.
Over the next few days I hope to post the beginnings of my Adventure Ride Report. I'd be flattered with any interest shown and hope I can entertain you or help insomniacs combat insomnia.
Attached Images

daviduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Enjoy man and have fun in Eastern Europe love be out there myself. How is your Russian?

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
daviduk OP
n00b

Question

I know 2 words so far, hello and good bye. It's a start.
Attached Images

daviduk screwed with this post 04-15-2015 at 03:57 PM
Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope for your safety you know the formal words, It's a big insult to say hi or goodbye in a way you would to friends to someone you have just met, the further east you go the less English speakers there will be but in general it is women who remember the English they learn't at school.

If you need to find a English speaker this phrase is good "Izvinite, Vy gavarite pa-angliski?" I've written it phonetically as the Cyrillic alphabet is a pain even after I've spent a lot of time working in Russia. The first time I went I only knew couple of words. I would say the life saver was BBC's Russian pocket Phrase book and Dictionary.

Can I ask about the Stella Rally my friend told me about riding his Aprilia Tuona fitted with dirt tyres up an Italian mountain back in 2013.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
daviduk OP
n00b

Your absolutely rite about saying hello formally. I drove a Truck to Belarus in the 90's, I will be re learning some Russian. I get different reports on how I will be received, particularly in Western Russia. I plan to keep a low profile on the leg from Ukraine to Kazakhstan, it's around 800 miles on the E38. Hope to cover it swiftly, dam politics.
The Stella Rally I think is amazingly friendly, it's a open invitation by the local Trail Riders Club to ride up a unpaved road that is off limits to Vehicles for most of the year. You can stay in the town or camp at the half way point, known as the refuge. It's always the 2nd Weekend in July and celebrates European unity after WW11.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:01 AM   #6
davey1212
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Subscribed. You are a year early !! I am planning a ride similar to yours for next year as need to save after spending plenty on a long ride two years ago. how long are you "planning" your trip to be ??
Have sent you a PM. Have a GREAT trip.
Dave
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't worry about western Russia plenty of biker guys and girls who look after each other and really happy to meet a non Russian rider I was there not to long ago, had a few odd stares from people not be of European blood but most people are fine a three years ago when I was 19 it was a little more rascist in Moscow but in the smaller towns and cities loved to come talk to me with some people never meeting a foreigner. you will get some odd looks from military border guards in Ukraine I was I've been twice in the past year and will be going again in June they are rather suspicious of my Russian Visa's and mostly because my Passport picture no longer looks like me I have to resort to showing my UK drivers license to prove my identity. Western Ukraine is perfectly safe but not reported is in easterly cities daily bombs going off being planted in cars it's never reported I only know from my friends what is truly happening.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Dashbaw
Fat Old Guy

Oddometer: 34
Subscribed. Really interested in how the Honda does on this type of a trip. Have fun and take care!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Great choice for a solo travel bike. Enjoy your journey and keep us in the loop. Subscribed.

Here's mine

wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote