User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Sport bikes losing ground to Dual Sport

At least that's the case here in Finland. The 600 Sport Bike sales have nearly stopped and the 1000 cc bikes are not doing much better, this has been the trend here for the past couple of years. The touring and dual sport bikes as well as the cruisers, are selling, but nowhere near the numbers that hit the roads few years back. The dealers reckon it's partly due to the sluggish economy, but they are also saying that motorcycling is not seen as 'glamorous' as it once was. Maybe the folks are too busy playing with their smart phones, instead of going for a bit of a burn.
What is scene in U.S and in other parts of the globe?
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,366
We're old now, and need an upright riding position.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

And that's a fact
Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,733
Seems to be the case just about everywhere.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Traffic laws are a PITA for sporty riding, that and terrible road maintance made me go dualsport riding. I don't have issue with the potholes and if i want to twist the throttle i go offroad.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Insurance rates have a part to play.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
We're old now, and need an upright riding position.

I think it's just a reflection of the fact that the public streets and trails do not resemble the race track, and it's finally dawning on the greater public to select machines that are more suitable for the former.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Robert^
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Yep, a dualsport w sticky tires is awesome in the city. I call it adventure riding and it comes complete with wet railroad tracks, wet bridge grates, wet manhole covers, potholes, pedestrians, and Prius drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I think it's just a reflection of the fact that the public streets and trails do not resemble the race track, and it's finally dawning on the greater public to select machines that are more suitable for the former.
Robert^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
I think motorcycle performance has advanced so far beyond what mere mortals can do with it that it's starting to make sport bikes kinda moot - might was well be more comfortable and practical. Anyways, it more fun riding a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,797
Owned a few Supersports, could never "legally" approach what their capabillities on the street, or I would go out for a ride and end up doing at least one jackass move, ala 100mph wheelies on the R1.

Not saying that I ride my KTM or Buell to their max abilities offroad but, no traffic and yet to get a speeding ticket.........and getting dirty is so much more fun.

But make no mistake......the cruiser crowd is alive and well in the states.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
I don't really like the term "dual-sport" as sport is not really what these practical, multi purpose machines are all about. Maybe more people are realising that super-sports, cruisers or whatever are more about chasing dreams. There is more to life than looking cool on the tar-mac.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
Aussijussi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
I don't really like the term "dual-sport" as sport is not really what these practical, multi purpose machines are all about. Maybe more people are realising that super-sports, cruisers or whatever are more about chasing dreams. There is more to life than looking cool on the tar-mac.
We call them ' touring or tour enduro' here, perhaps a more apt name for a versatile motorcycle that they are. As you said, these 'tour enduro's might not look so cool, some down right ugly, like the 990 adv, that i ride, but to me at least, it doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it does the job.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Adventure bikes in the UK, and imo they`re more fun more of the time than a sports bike. Gone are the days of trying to find a road thats suitable to stretch the legs of a big sports bike when you can be tonking down a bumpy backroad with the odd little wheelie off crests with a smile on your face instead
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #14
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476
I final assemble new bikes of various brands at a dealer, from crate to sending the customer down the road with his or her new purchase. I have grown to dislike the cruisers and crotch rockets, they don't push or roll around as easy or turn as sharp when moving them in shop. Typically quite heavy and awkward and like someone else said, as an old dude I have to have the upright riding posistion.

In the coming warmer months, the boss let's us take pretty much any bike we want for as long as we want (weeks), until someone wants to buy the "demo" you might be riding. For me, I am looking forward to trying one of the newish Husqvarna single cylinders of different sizes and config's.

It's more about doing more with less, and like someone else indicated, insurance more affordable with less cc's.

If it's a (adventure) trend, I like it.

Some of it is about education and exposure. Have had Harley types stop in the side of the shop I work in and look over a customer's dirty, used but well equipped adventure bike. When the features are explained to them, and what the bike is intended for, the lower cost, the fun, the JB Weld instead of chrome polish, it slowly starts to sink in with them. It's fun to see the transformation from "uhh, whut?" to..... "ahhhh, now I gets it" .

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
Insurance rates have a part to play.

Sean
My insurance us $380 a year full coverage on my Daytona 675, I think its like 65 for the Speed Triple lol
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote