Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
trekkar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
whats this worth? 1984 100RT

Hello,

Came across this in a barn. 2 miles on it. The owner brought 2 over from Germany and only drove the grey one, figured he would drive this when that one died. This pearl white one has some dust on it and maybe some oxidation but that's it. Any idea what this is worth? I would like to buy it to ride though not sure if that would make sense though. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
You will have to treat it like any other barn find. Check to see if the engine turns over by hand. Any and all rubber parts will need replacing. Probably carbs will need rebuilding. Change all fluids. I would do the obvious, and if it turns over then put in a new battery and fresh gas and see if it will run.

If you are lucky and it was put away properly, you just might be lucky. I have picked up some bikes that were put away properly and kept in warm storage for 30-40 years. I was lucky on some and was able to get them running with minimal work. Others have needed total tear downs. It really is a crap shoot.

As to what it is worth? Well, I just sold a 1981 R100RT 2 months ago here for $4500. It had what some call a "patina" or battle scars. Lots of miles. Runs really well, but cosmetically it was challenged. But, where I am, there are not that many airheads around.

I would suggest you offer something around $1500 to $2000 maximum. And be prepared to invest a minimum of $1500 in parts plus labour.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,592
How much is he asking?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 677
Cool2

I bet the ASKING price is almost $4,000.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkar View Post
The owner brought 2 over from Germany and only drove the grey one, figured he would drive this when that one died.
Is it titled in the US? I'm guessing it's a military or foreign service bring-back? As far as I know that's the only back door left for titling foreign market vehicles in the US anymore. Make sure it's got a title or you could be up shit creek after you spend all the time and money getting it road worthy, but can't get plates for it.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
trekkar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
He really hasn't said a price yet. I wanted to get an idea of what it would be worth before offering a price. Came over with him back from his service days, he only has the shipping papers so that may be an issue. Maybe he can register it first and get a title. I think he is going to want to much for it. At least for someone like me who wants to drive it. But I'll see

thanks for all the info/advice.
trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385
Quote:
He really hasn't said a price yet. I wanted to get an idea of what it would be worth before offering a price. Came over with him back from his service days, he only has the shipping papers so that may be an issue. Maybe he can register it first and get a title. I think he is going to want to much for it. At least for someone like me who wants to drive it. But I'll see
Hmmmm. After hearing that, I probably wouldn't touch it without a title. Depends on the state, but such a seemingly small detail can be a complete no-go in some places.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Edmundo Amado
Andale, andale!!

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Hmmmm. After hearing that, I probably wouldn't touch it without a title. Depends on the state, but such a seemingly small detail can be a complete no-go in some places.
Or, you can bring it to mexico and I will give you $3,000.00 USD
Edmundo Amado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,529
Quote:
Maybe he can register it first and get a title.
Strongly urge him to. Make it a condition of the purchase. He needs to cough up a title.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote