Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #91
bmweuro OP
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru View Post
Chris,,never saw if this was a new build or if you had some miles on the engine?
Greg this was a motor that Bob G built many years ago and has not had the best life since he sold the sidecar it was in.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #92
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Problem solved. It seem to be a combination of things. Once I got a stethoscope I could here a noise in the carburetor like the slide was rattling. I replaced the carburetors with another set of 40mm Bings and the noise mostly went away. Secondly I rejetted the carbs to a European R100GS spec, retarded the timing and now I have no strange knocks at all.
So it was pinging after all? A rattling slide inside the carb could not produce a mechanical sound like the knocking under load you describe. Since you changed 3 parameter (different carbs, rejet, retard) at the same time, you still don't know what your root cause was exactly. That wouldn't satisfy my curiousity. How do you know it's not coming back?

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #93
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
So it was pinging after all? A rattling slide inside the carb could not produce a mechanical sound like the knocking under load you describe. Since you changed 3 parameter (different carbs, rejet, retard) at the same time, you still don't know what your root cause was exactly. That wouldn't satisfy my curiousity. How do you know it's not coming back?
A rattling slide can make noise under load. I got a buddy with a BSA chopper that never had a filter on the carb since it was built in 71. That slide is so loose you can push it from side to side and front and back, and it makes hella noise throughout the range.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #94
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
I woudn't have thought that, given the size of the "resonating" body (aka carb body). I assumed a knock being lower frequency emitting from a larger body (e.g. engine block). Glad you got it finally sorted.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #95
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
I woudn't have thought that, given the size of the "resonating" body (aka carb body). I assumed a knock being lower frequency emitting from a larger body (e.g. engine block). Glad you got it finally sorted.
That part of the problem; the word "knock".

One mans knock is another mans rattle is another man buzz is another mans ping, etc.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote