User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
oldtrout OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Hot weather gear

I know a lot of us are still freezing our yarbles off, but can someone post the linky to the hot weather gear thread that was aboot last (?) summer.

Looking for the ATGATT and wicking base layers that seemed to be the route to cool.

Appologies but Search foo not working.

Thanks in advance
Logan
Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I bought a few items of the Heat-Out apparel from Cycle Gear last summer thinking it was cheap and wouldn't be a great loss if it didn't work....Boy was I amazed. Stuff really works, as long there is some air movement. It's supposed to fit like a glove and completely contact the skin, so it's gonna feel tight at first, but it doesn't restrict motion. Put it on under anything that's vented or mesh and it pulls the sweat away from your skin and evaporates it as you ride. Only dig I have after using it all summer is that the fabric is pretty thin and so it's fairly easy to tear a seam if you're pulling on it too hard, but like I said, it's WAY less expensive than the UA or other high-end brands. (Disclaimer: I got mine at 50% off!)

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...1713_59409_199
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,322
I've been using some thin Russell Athletic polypro workout shirts that are available for $5 per at a local discounter. They are very thin and conforming. They stain up and get grotty looking quickly, but at the price I can't complain. They are very rugged, but tend to look salty in short order. Wearing one as a base layer under mesh is significantly cooler than riding in a cotton tee. When things get really hot, I'll douse one in a nearby stream or wet it with a water bottle. It only stays damp for about a half-hour, but the evaporative cooling does a lot to bring the core temps back down.

As a bottom layer, I wear Klim Mojavi pants. If it's coolish in the morning, I'll wear a thin pair of polypro long johns under, and switch to polypro briefs as things heat up. These pants vent extremely well, and are very comfortable.

A big issue is proper hydration. You loose a tremendous volume of water through sweat in hot weather. I began wearing a Camelbak water reservoir some time ago. My original Camelbak "HAWG" shredded last summer after years rugged use on the bike and the back country. I've just replaced it with a military surplus model that I bought for 30 bucks. The mil-surplus gear is rugged as hell, although I feel a bit of a poser wearing camo and hi-viz at the same time. However, the system holds three liters, and is useful at camp also. You can even take a half-assed shower under it if you pop off the "bite valve."

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 09:41 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
oldtrout OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys !

Just the info I was looking for.

The mountain gear stores here in the GWN are more into the thermal/ winter side of the equation, so the M/C hot weather wicking idea was a little strange to the sales minions. The ones I found @ sixty bucks each for top/ bottom was a little steep for underwear. (Some are made from bamboo ??)

I'll order in four sets for the price of one - America, hell ya !

Keep cool my friends.

OT
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Like it or not, use it or not, have faith in the IBA or not, this is a group of the most accomplished riders anywhere.
They don't always agree, but for the most part they operate off the same info and do it farther and through temps most folks won't ride it.
A good read FWIW and many have adopted these types of gear. It is info, use it how you want. I can tell you that my riding area is the gulf coast states and desert SW. It does tend to get warm in all those places with humidity from 100% to single digits, and this has kept me and the SO comfy and protected for many a year now.
Hope this helps.
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf
Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,322
Bamboo is another twatwaffle fabric, as is hemp. Yes, it's a "miracle" fiber, but who's going to pay $60 for a tee? Sierra Trading Post tends to carry a bunch of lightweight polypro. You want a smooth "silk" finish as opposed to a wooly one. The good stuff for hot weather is nearly see-through.

Polypro has come a long way since it was introduced in the 80's. Usta be rough on the skin and stank like the bejesus after a day or so. I have some from that era that's still not dead. It just smells like it. Now, the fabric holds up very well and is comfy to wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
Thanks guys !

Just the info I was looking for.

The mountain gear stores here in the GWN are more into the thermal/ winter side of the equation, so the M/C hot weather wicking idea was a little strange to the sales minions. The ones I found @ sixty bucks each for top/ bottom was a little steep for underwear. (Some are made from bamboo ??)

I'll order in four sets for the price of one - America, hell ya !

Keep cool my friends.

OT

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 09:50 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
oldtrout OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good article Tex. confirms my thinking.

Cactus here I come

OT
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #8
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,605
Banana hammock and a tank top, or in your case a thong and a tube top.....

Happy to help!
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Banana hammock and a tank top, or in your case a thong and a tube top.....

Happy to help!
Which means that, in this case, we don't need pics.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
oldtrout OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey ..... Easy now.

I have the body of a Cod !

Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
A good place to find base layers for HOT is in a bicycle shop. There are some vest and short sleeve shirt options that are EXCELLENT at wicking away sweat..... not cheap however. Also, as stated above: buy skin tight NOT baggy. Suspect the bike dept in REI probably carries some of it also.... (NOT jersey's--which do wick--but under layers)
DirtSolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
Hey ..... Easy now.

Really, my friend, I'm going to take your word for that. Pics will not be necessary.

Unless you look like Jenna Jameson....
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
http://underwear.wickers.com/our-moi...erwear-ZXsZX66
http://www.ldcomfort.com/
http://www.goathleticapparel.com/qwi...aselayer-shirt

A few places I have dealt with. Some are frugal, some aren't and for my money the frugal is fine. Long sleeve is best, actually, and the long undies work well.
Heat gear from under armor works pretty good but for the price, wickers and go athletics are my choice, if I go high dollar, go with the ld comfort.
Look for double layer wicking. It is thin and blows my mind how it works, but it does. Look around the Wickers site and check out the videos.
Gear should not just be protective, but enhance your ride. It should keep you warm, cool and conspicuous. It is up to us to learn how to operate it. IMHO "cooling vests" and the like are worthless. They are that way for many reasons, but that is subject to the user. I just think the articles cooling techniques are best and have actually used them before reading about it.

Happy Hunting
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Average high here is 97 throughout most of July and August, with humidity in the mornings around 100%, and still 60% or so in the afternoons. Thin, skin tight base layer, then my jacket are what I try to wear in the summer. Because I mostly commute, that means I typically have slacks on under my riding pants and a nice shirt for work. In the morning that shirt is fine but it comes off in the afternoon. Mesh jacket if the temperature is 92-95 and BELOW, and full synthetic jacket/pants when over 95. Skin temperature is around 92-95 depending on where on the body you measure, so wearing mesh gear when above that temperature is actually counterproductive. It will heat the body instead of cool it.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Hey ..... Easy now.

This smells of awesome!

In the most recent issue of Rider there was an ad for a place that had some hot weather base layers on sale. When I get off shift I will see if I can find it and shoot you a link.

I have tried a couple different expensive sets, my issue is that I wear knee braces when doing harder offroad stuff and nothing I have found holds up very well.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote