ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
Kenbike OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: South of the big lake
Oddometer: 613
Big Bend in Oct

My wife and I are planning a camping trip in Big Bend National Park with a couple from Austin this Oct. we are going via jeep but I was still seeking the locals advice on Adv rider as to how safe it is in the park if you are out in the primitive camping areas vs. in the campgrounds. The couple we are going with are not into guns and I really don't want to haul mine via the plane. we will be staying 5 nights and I do not know which campgrounds we will be using. They go ever year and tell me it is very safe. For those of you who go out in the park is it a good idea to be unarmed? How much trouble does the park have?
__________________
Current Bikes: 2012 Yamaha Tenere, 2010 Vespa 300 Super scooter ( hers), 2011 Blur 220i (his)
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,731
You don't need a gun in Big Bend.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Granbury Texas
Oddometer: 2,659
You will be fine. I carry a gun but have never needed it. Plenty of Border Patrol around to scare away the bad guys.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NEOK
Oddometer: 1,716
Are weapons legal in the park now? Down there a couple yrs ago and were not allowed.
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
Kenbike OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: South of the big lake
Oddometer: 613
So it is pretty safe in the park, good news!
__________________
Current Bikes: 2012 Yamaha Tenere, 2010 Vespa 300 Super scooter ( hers), 2011 Blur 220i (his)
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007 View Post
Are weapons legal in the park now? Down there a couple yrs ago and were not allowed.
I believe they are now legal. However, don't get your legal advice from a site like this. Ask the National Park Service. Even if they are legal, you still don't need one.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,136
Big Bend in Oct

Here ya go. http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/firearms.htm

Never carried one. Never felt the need.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".

slowoldguy screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 08:51 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR
 
tennessee thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Oddometer: 638
I've camped right on the border (solis I think it was) at the Rio Grande and witnessed a few folks crossing from the other side in 2011 and 2012.

One time is was like a scene out of a move...guy with a big sombero on a horse witha few dogs in tow. He whistled to arnnounce his presence, waved and rode on.

I've only been there a few times but it is not an umcommon occurance to see some of our south of the border neighbors coming to the US without impedence(sp?)

Never had an issue myself but who knows? Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

That said the primitive camping areas are much more dramatic and remote if that is what you are looking for. 99 percent of the time its fine...the other 1 percent is what I prepare for.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014