Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
DRZ400 "S" versus "E"

gang

what's the list of differences/distinctions between the "S" and "E" models of DRZ400 ?? Say, 2002 just to pick a late model year

i understand the INTENT, but is it just tires and marketeering?

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Ninjak
Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,783
"E" has different carb, no instrument panel, no rear subframe, larger diameter header pipe. It's about 30 pounds lighter than the "S." 2002 and up they have the same suspension.

Otherwise, bolt-for-bolt they're identical, mechanically speaking.

Religion outa be like sex, legal as long as no money changes hands. - swjohnsey
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
ekaphoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
No, there are a few diffrences in the S and E model. the 01 and 02 models the E had better suspention. 03 and after both have the same suspention. diffrent carbs, the E makes better power, but the S had better emissions. Diffrent cams, e has more aggressive cams, diffrent base gaskit so E has higher compressin ratio, but the E needs high octain and the S runs on regular. The head pipe is slightly diffrent, but not sure if that makes a diffrence, just E and S are not interchangable by the book, but can be made to work. The S has a rear subframe, ie a piece of metal under the rear fender, the S does not. Lights etc. S has a steering lock, S des not. I think the E is missing a speedo, but not sure on that one.

Anyone know anything I missed. BTW unless you are a competition grade rider the S espically with mods will probably be capable of more than you are. Not trying to beat you up, but it is a great trail bike that I or most people are not good enough to exploit its full capabilties using it for what it is a great dual sport /trail bike. go here for more info.

www.drz.info
Old 07-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Ninjak
Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,783
Oops, forgot the gasket and cams.

Funny, cuz I put an "E" base gasket in my "S" to bump up the compression.

Religion outa be like sex, legal as long as no money changes hands. - swjohnsey
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
still more...

Passenger pegs on "S". Right pass peg bracket is the exhaust mount, so can't just remove the whole mess (unless you buy a 'peg eliminator' bracket).

Also there is a seat strap on the "S", theoretically for the pass to hang on to.

The electronic dashboard on the S, combined with the same battery that is on the E, can cause a current drain on bikes that are not ridden much AND kept in unheated storage in cold climates.

The lights are, obviously, different - and some of the brackets & wiring too, not just a matter of plugging S lights into an E, the parts are not there.

OEM sprockets are different: E = 14/47, S = 15/44 (way too stiff for off-road work on anything except open sand road stuff).

The S has the 'street' style electrical interlocks also. Clutch lever is different as it has an appendage that triggers the clutch/starter interlock. Also ignition interlock on kickstand. I think brake lever too for the S brake lights. This makes off road lever snapping excursions more expensive. (I run half levers myself.) And perches with mirror mounts.

Lotsa little stuff - the few bigger things have been covered. Actually so much extra stuff, it is a wonder they sell the S for the same $$$$.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Lotsa little stuff - the few bigger things have been covered. Actually so much extra stuff, it is a wonder they sell the S for the same $$$$.
For dualsporting, it sounds like a 2003 or later S is a better deal than getting an E and adding all the $tuff. Does anyone have personal experience with an S vs. E, performance-wise?
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
For dualsporting, it sounds like a 2003 or later S is a better deal than getting an E and adding all the $tuff. Does anyone have personal experience with an S vs. E, performance-wise?
The www.thumpertalk.com forums have this sweety covered, smoothered...and totally digested.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
The Fist
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,590
I had the same question....I went with an E....

find the topic HERE
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
Quote:
It's '02 and later for the suspension upgrade.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #10
The Fist
Knulp

As I mentioned, I studied both bikes and went for a street-titled "E" model. I wanted more of dual-puporse-ready dirt bike so I opted for the E. Generally speaking, I've found the 2001-2002 E's to be cheaper and more readily available then the "S" model. If you want a more performance dirt bike, go with the E -- if you're just looking for a dual-purpose bike with more time spent on the road, then the S is the way to go.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,598
I think Fist is echoing the way I'm leaning, but I sure appreciate the rundown on the S add-ons.

The thing I can't answer yet [but I'm reading the stuff you geniuses provided] is how do I justify the extra 30 lbs if we're using it for 85% dirt work and no two-passenger riding at all? BUT, I hasten to say I would be street-tagging it [for federal lands reasons] so...... is it worth 30 lbs to do less work?

anyway, I'm reading the other stuff... thumpertalk, drzinfo

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
I went with the S.....actually the KLX400SR to be exact and if I had to do it over I'd probably just get the E and call it good. I think most of the differences have been covered, the S also has a cooling fan, horn and different footpegs that are more like popsicle sticks with rubber inserts than footpegs....they really suck.

As pointed out the S gearing pretty much sucks off-road and I changed to 14/47 almost right away. This made the bike waaaaaaay better in the dirt but not nearly as nice on the street. I also ditched the stock trailwings (deathwings) and put on Dunlop 606 before I even left the dealer and this too made the bike not as good on the street. The gearing and tires really need to be changed on the S to make it good off road and both really hurt the street manners IMO. It's not that much fun to ride on the street and so much fun in the dirt I really could care less. If I want to ride on the street I get on the Wee-Strom. I still like honking my horn when I'm off-road!
RubberDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
The Fist
Knulp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
I think Fist is echoing the way I'm leaning, but I sure appreciate the rundown on the S add-ons.

The thing I can't answer yet [but I'm reading the stuff you geniuses provided] is how do I justify the extra 30 lbs if we're using it for 85% dirt work and no two-passenger riding at all? BUT, I hasten to say I would be street-tagging it [for federal lands reasons] so...... is it worth 30 lbs to do less work?

anyway, I'm reading the other stuff... thumpertalk, drzinfo

z
Short answer - no...

I really don't see much of an advantage to the "S" over the "E" -- the stock speedo/computer sucks (ridiculously large and expensive to replace), the gearing sucks (then again, Im running 14/49 and sometimes 13/49 if Im singletrackin' it), and there's not really any reason to have rear passenger pegs. No one in their right mind would haul a passenger on a DRZ for any long period of time.

The E however does lose the rear subframe which sort of sucks for luggage. But, the pro-billet rack made for the E does the job just fine.

Putting "E" elements on an "S" bike is more costly than just getting the E to begin with. You can also drill/add pegs if you want -- and you could always buy/add a rear subframe if you really wanted one.

All in all, the E is a better choice IMO.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:00 PM   #14
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
The S model would do fine, but IMHO the only reason to get one is if you are in a state which makes it nearly impossible to get an off road bike registered (like mine).
I like the speedo, dumped my bike many times with no damage.
I removed the rubber inserts from my stock pegs (one small bolt each) and they are fine. I don't have real big feet though (9 1/2).
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #15
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
For dualsporting, it sounds like a 2003 or later S is a better deal than getting an E and adding all the $tuff.
The prevailing wisdom seems to be (for primarily dirt use): Get an E and convert it, IF this is easy to do in your state. Get an S and strip the extra stuff off, IF you are in a state where it is hard to street title an E.

The E plus a "kit" will weigh less. The S and strip the stuff will cost less. Both E & S need the same aftermarket protection for serious off-road use.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote