User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Strawdog OP
Strawdog

Oddometer: 101
Back Road Discovery Routes

Hello Anyone done the BRDR in Colorado & Washington heading there in the summer. Do not have much experience riding dual sport bike I have a F800GS.

Trying to figure out if its beyond my skill level.
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
I did the Washington route. It was pretty easy overall. There are a few spots that are a bit tricky, but if you've got any kind of dirt background it won't be an issue. You can always try them and take the bypasses if you need to.

Have done some passes in Colorado but not the discovery route. You'll have to be a little more careful there and not get in over your head. Hopefully someone else will comment with specific info.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Here's a ride report with some pictures:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818721
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
I looked at these routes and they seem to be all on gravel roads.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
i will be doing the washington one this summer on my VSTROM 650, with a friend in his Jeep should be fun at least i wont have to haul my own gear you would be welcome to come along if you want, we will be taking it slow but we don't have any firm dates yet.
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
i will be doing the washington one this summer on my VSTROM 650, with a friend in his Jeep should be fun at least i wont have to haul my own gear you would be welcome to come along if you want, we will be taking it slow but we don't have any firm dates yet.
Same here, except will be solo and no Jeep. I did the UTBDR last year and I've done most of the passes in CO but not the actual COBDR. I only hope that WABDR won't be a let down after Utah, which was just awesome.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a BRDR?
Spaggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I did about half of the WABDR last year in 2.5 days as we had some mechanical issues and re-routing from forest fires etc.

If you are a true dirt beginner you'll have to take some sections slow. You don't give any info about your background, fitness, other bike experience etc, so it's hard to say.

If you are a competitive downhill mountain bike racer, you'll probably pick it up quickly. If you are new to having two wheels in the dirt for extended periods of time, you may want a bit of practice before you go.

I personally don't feel you have to be intermediate or advanced, but it's not a cake-walk either.

Just go at your own pace and enjoy it. Like others have said, there are bypasses if needed.

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Strawdog OP
Strawdog

Oddometer: 101
Thanks for the input hope to head out August sometime. Made it up the Dempster last year. Been getting in better shape practicing lots not crashing as much as I did when first got my bike.
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
strawdog i have never riden where you speak of in Wash and Col.

but i could be game to join or have someone join me (same thing i guess) for the Wbrdr and then foray into Oregon if time allows. wks that would work... june 22 - 29 or july 27 to aug 3. i believe the melt is fully on right now and early for this spring but of course i have no idea what elevation the route gets to so i am not sure if a june trip is free of snow/fully passable. i suppose by-passing some snowy sections would make things interesting too...
anyhow, i am in Fernie BC, ride a bmw Dakar and pretty experienced in the dirt.
pm me please if this is creates any interest in your soul....

edwin screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 10:01 PM
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
5 of us did the WBCDR last year.most of the time is was 37c stupid hot. F800GS, Triumph 800xc, F650GS bikes. Full loads. Camping gear, beer etc. we had a bloody blast! Not an ounce of rain. A couple of sections were totally fucked. On section up on top of multiple mountain ranges that had baby head lava rock and sand was the worst. Scary on big bikes. Crazy hot. At the end of that shit you needed to cross some Tarmac to get into another section and we stopped and seemed to be surrounded by rattlesnakes. NUTS. At that point we turned around and headed into town for a much needed rest and showers.
The washed out section was interesting with a hangover. And on that section we go off route on Devils Gulch. Oops. A wee bit of damage there. But that was a evening to go from "out of the zone" to back in it after a bike made it deep into the trees for a nap. Keep a 3-1 or 9-1 capable rope rescue system with you in case of trouble.
We had a true adventure, good times with great friends both male and female. Just do it and take your time and all will be well.

Off to the Colorado BCDR in July for more drinking and adventure