User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Brand new adv990r with a problem - Argh,

Brand new 990r (2012) - took it for its first ride and road on highway for about 15 minutes. Got off onto a side road and noticed that the temp gauge spiked up, got a red warning light and all bars of temperature on and flashing (aka: overheat). Pulled over, turned the bike off, etc. it did not feel hot nor could I smell anything burning apart from my new owner positive experience going down the tubes...

Anyhow, friends helped me raise the front end nice and high, we opened up the radiator bleeder bolt at the top figuring air in the system but that didn't make any difference. The bike was cooled right down but upon start up, the same red light and flashing bars of temp were there. I noticed that despite indicating an overheat, the fan was not at all kicking on. I disconnected the temp sensor on the rad and jumpered the wires and viola: the fan turned but the warning light and all flashing bars have not disappeared. Do I have a faulty temp / fan control sensor? Does anyone know if that one sensor on the right side of the radiator control the fan AND send temperature signal / reading to the dash?

Yes, I have warranty on the bike but I don't have a dealer that close to me and I want to ride tomorrow. I suppose I can leave my jumper wire in and run the fan the entire time I ride however...

Anyone else experience this or similar?

Thanks in advance - apart from this, the bike kicks-ass!

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Check coolant level in Rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Brand new 990r (2012) - took it for its first ride and road on highway for about 15 minutes. Got off onto a side road and noticed that the temp gauge spiked up, got a red warning light and all bars of temperature on and flashing (aka: overheat). Pulled over, turned the bike off, etc. it did not feel hot nor could I smell anything burning apart from my new owner positive experience going down the tubes...

Anyhow, friends helped me raise the front end nice and high, we opened up the radiator bleeder bolt at the top figuring air in the system but that didn't make any difference. The bike was cooled right down but upon start up, the same red light and flashing bars of temp were there. I noticed that despite indicating an overheat, the fan was not at all kicking on. I disconnected the temp sensor on the rad and jumpered the wires and viola: the fan turned but the warning light and all flashing bars have not disappeared. Do I have a faulty temp / fan control sensor? Does anyone know if that one sensor on the right side of the radiator control the fan AND send temperature signal / reading to the dash?

Yes, I have warranty on the bike but I don't have a dealer that close to me and I want to ride tomorrow. I suppose I can leave my jumper wire in and run the fan the entire time I ride however...

Anyone else experience this or similar?

Thanks in advance - apart from this, the bike kicks-ass!
Not sure about the dash indicators but

Couple of easy things to check

1. Did you lose any coolant from the radiator overflow bottle on right side of radiator? If the radiator has lost some coolant maybe there is not enough left in the radiator to touch the thermo switch which controls the fan - if so fill it up and watch for puking coolant

and

2. check the radiator cap and area it seats on in the radiator for dirt and debris - clean it well. If problem persists maybe radiator cap is faulty (lost its seal) which can lead to puking coolant and overheating - if so replace it.

If problems persist it gets more complicated and could be any one of:

- faulty thermo switch or thermo-stat (pretty easy to swap out)
- leaking water pump seal - will see milky sludge in clutch cover when removed or waves in oil filter from coolant. It is more time consuming but not too difficult to swap out.
- blown head gasket (sure hope not).

BTW I have had to burp my 950 at least twice after refilling coolant - it just don't seem to get all the air out the first time. Maybe you still have an air bubble - the dealership might not have done a good job on it.

MZ
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Sounds like the bike was not really overheated if light is on at startup. Temp gauge sending unit or gauge???
Old 04-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
smoothride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
You have a dealer in mississuoga and one in whitby. What dealer did you get it from. It is a new bike.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

I got it from Apex. Right, I forgot there's a Ready KTM in Mississauga now - thanks.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
dog'meat
Presidient

Oddometer: 168
My 2012 990R behaves similar...

But the fan do kick off pretty early, like when gauge reaches 10th bar or so ... never got that overheating situation, tho .. But I guess this bike is meant to run pretty hot compared to others I know... Once fan kicks, if you're in town or slow roads where your speed is 50km/h or less , it never goes off... You really have to speed it up and get serious wind to see it turn off ... I have the coolant slightly above minimum mark in reservoir...
Mexico City, Xilitla, Aquismon, the Cave, the River and the Shangrila...
Mexico City, Cuetzalan, Nautla, Veracruz
dog'meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
The temperature gauge has a seperate sensor to the fan.

Temperature gauge sensor is in the rear head, left side.

If the temperature gauge is reading high but the fan does not come on and the cooling system is OK then you have a problem with the gauge or sensor.

To bump the cooling system, have the bike on the centre stand, remove radiator cap, lift bike by the right handlebar until it balances on the rear wheel and left leg of the stand. Bubbles will come out the motor and the radiator. Keep rocking up and dow till the bubbles stop, then top up, try again, top up and go ride.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
dog'meat
Presidient

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
...lift bike by the right handlebar until it balances on the rear wheel and left leg of the stand. Bubbles will come out the motor and the radiator. Keep rocking up and dow till the bubbles stop, then top up, try again, top up and go ride.
Do you have pics of this ...? Are you actually lifting the bike or just rocking it to the left pivoting on left stand foot..?
Mexico City, Xilitla, Aquismon, the Cave, the River and the Shangrila...
Mexico City, Cuetzalan, Nautla, Veracruz
dog'meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Dualsport Crazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
I got it from Apex. Right, I forgot there's a Ready KTM in Mississauga now - thanks.

I was at the new Ready KTM in Mississauga on Saturday. They are still not yet Orange/LC8 certified since they are just a week old with the KTM line up.

Hope you can get it resolved ASAP...
Dualsport Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog'meat View Post
Do you have pics of this ...? Are you actually lifting the bike or just rocking it to the left pivoting on left stand foot..?
Rocking it to the left by lifting it on the right.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 655
I have not had to mess with my cooloing system, but here's a little trick from the HOW:

Quote:
Now, button everything back up, install Engine Ice (or your favorite high quality silicate free brand) and "burp" the cooling system.

As for "burping" here's a great tip by BobbyC that I tried and it works great. Saves a lot of fiddling (especially when you're by yourself).

"I bled the system from the upper bleed screw at the water pump. Then I squeezed the 1" diameter hose on the left side going into the radiator until most of the air was pushed out. You might have to squeeze this hose 10+ times. Fill some more and close the radiator cap. Fill the reservoir to the max line and start the bike. Run it until the fan comes on and bleed from the bleed screw on top of the radiator. There should be very little air from this. I thought there was still some air in the system so I went for a slow ride around town. When I got back, there was a 1/4 of the coolant in the reservoir tank that was sucked back into the system. I topped it off and kept an eye on it for the next few rides."
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Crazy View Post
I was at the new Ready KTM in Mississauga on Saturday. They are still not yet Orange/LC8 certified since they are just a week old with the KTM line up.

Hope you can get it resolved ASAP...
I'm off to Apex tomorrow depending on weather, etc. they'll sort me out - they want to make sure that my new bike experience remains positive. The bike definitely didn't overheat though running with no fan in traffic could have ended up a disaster. I jumpered the fan switch and had the fan running full time like guys do who run in slow, tight trails, etc. apart from this little niggle, the bike kicks supreme ass.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
I have not had to mess with my cooloing system, but here's a little trick from the HOW:
I've used this trick twice now (at the valve checks and at coolant replacement) and it's worked perfectly both times.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Dualsport Crazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
I'm off to Apex tomorrow depending on weather, etc. they'll sort me out - they want to make sure that my new bike experience remains positive. The bike definitely didn't overheat though running with no fan in traffic could have ended up a disaster. I jumpered the fan switch and had the fan running full time like guys do who run in slow, tight trails, etc. apart from this little niggle, the bike kicks supreme ass.

Good Luck Alon...

Let us know what the out come is & am sure they will look after you since they have their rep at stake.

Cheers,
Al
Dualsport Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Problem solved - kudos to Colin and the team at Apex Cycle. Turns out there was nothing wrong with the temp sensor or fan switch - it was the gauge cluster defective and misinterpreting the sensor inputs. They swapped it for a new one on the spot and viola! All is correct in my world again.