Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Motoduc1 OP
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 932
Evaluate this BMW (K1100RS)

Greetings;

This is my first foray into the Beemer section; been riding for years, but I just haven't had much exposure to these fine bikes.

This is actually for a friend, longtime rider, but has also been away for a while. He recently got his feet wet again on an enduro bike and is looking for something to take a trip. Looks like a nice bike...but y'all will know much better than I. Fire away.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/3740331005.html

Kent
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
bmermoto
stus52

Oddometer: 42
K11

Heavy, not for the short inseam rider, bulletproof, powerful, good for two up or can carry a load, wind buffeting for tall rider. Overall - great machine for long distance touring....good price...
bmermoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,315

Nice bike, but IMHO, you have to be a K1100 fan to want it. Price seems OK.

For that money you can get a K1200LT with many more modern creature comforts.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoduc1 View Post
Greetings;

This is my first foray into the Beemer section; been riding for years, but I just haven't had much exposure to these fine bikes.

This is actually for a friend, longtime rider, but has also been away for a while. He recently got his feet wet again on an enduro bike and is looking for something to take a trip. Looks like a nice bike...but y'all will know much better than I. Fire away.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/3740331005.html

Kent
One of my all time favorite bikes, so I'd be all over that given the condition of the bike. I'd loose the screen and go back to stock, but that's just me.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,519
I'd lose that wind screen -- pronto. Bike would be gorgeous then.

At 31K the bike's just getting broken in. This one seems very well taken care of, but like JVB said, you can get an LT for about the same. Not much more would buy a K1200RS (PM me as I know where one is) and maybe even a K1200GT -- both are nice upgrades to the K1100.

You can also do a well sorted R1150RT for that money.

K bikes have a strong but narrow following and can be hard to sell. R is more main stream (if you can call BMW main stream) and will be easier to sell.

Only one way to tell: Ride it, and ride an R.

kfs
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post

At 31K the bike's just getting broken in. This one seems very well taken care of, but like JVB said, you can get an LT for about the same. Not much more would buy a K1200RS (PM me as I know where one is) and maybe even a K1200GT -- both are nice upgrades to the K1100.

You can also do a well sorted R1150RT for that money.

K bikes have a strong but narrow following and can be hard to sell. R is more main stream (if you can call BMW main stream) and will be easier to sell.

Only one way to tell: Ride it, and ride an R.

kfs
I guess if the OP is just looking to get into BMW world, there are many other options for the money. I assumed that he/she wanted that particular bike. I have owned many BMW's and this one is by far my favorite. If a 1996 in Silk Blue with low miles and in perfect condition ever became available, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat! That'd be my keeper
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
Keep it for cooler weather riding. Only 10 minutes to swap on and off.

Quote:
Yep on the K1200RS for just a little more coin. The appeal (at least to me) is that it's the last "best" of the classic Ks and has a real motorcycle gas tank, not a bunch of Tupperware.

Quote:
I've sold a fair share of K bikes and they're no harder to sell than any other bike. Lots of K fans out there. Probably harder to sell than an R bike if you park it in front of a Starbucks though.

The biggest problem with that bike is the "designed by a team of German sadists" factory seat. Pretty easy to resolve with a Corbin, Sargeant or whatever.

I plan to keep my 94 K11RS for many years....

Edit: The Mystic Red ones are faster.

duck screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 06:01 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

For that money you can get a K1200LT with many more modern creature comforts.

Jim

More comforts and more problems. A k1200lt would be my dream bike if they didn't eat fd's and have seals fail throwing oil on a dry clutch so often. There is a reason why the k1200lt is so cheap on the used market.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,523
If you don't mind a longer wheelbase less flickable bike that's somewhat top heavy she's golden. As someone said aftermarket seats are your friend.

Check for small leaks between the tranny and clutch body, and at the timing chain cover that seeps onto the exhaust. It doesn't mean anything bad, usually a seal breakdown, and the front timing covers all leak without extensive sealant.

I love my 92 K100rs (also bought in Omaha Nebraska) - but I only paid 3,200 and it had 38K miles on it - came with the same sidebags as the one you're looking at- and factory top box. Leak down tests in all cylinders show it's almost good as new in compression. Pretty much the same bike sans the 100CC boring of the block (brick) and the ABSII.

1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
If the seller is willing to have it brought to a BMW dealer for pre sale inspection, that would ease alot of doubt. I`m pretty sure it`s a great bike & you sure will get lots of miles out of this one. (my K1100LT is much smoother than my 2010 RT)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
duck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
at the timing chain cover that seeps onto the exhaust.
WTF? Yours must have been built during Oktoberfest. Never heard of that one before.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
duck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
If the seller is willing to have it brought to a BMW dealer for pre sale inspection, that would ease alot of doubt. I`m pretty sure it`s a great bike & you sure will get lots of miles out of this one. (my K1100LT is much smoother than my 2010 RT)
The problem with this notion is that most of the wrenches at BMW dealers these days are fairly young and have little to no experience with these "antique" K bikes. JMHO but you'd be much better off finding an indy wrench that has a few years working on these bikes than taking it do the "manual readers" at a dealer.

(Not knocking dealers, just pointing out reality.)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
duck
Banned

Known issues with these bikes:

Some dumbass BMW engineer decided to weld the headers to the collector and exhaust can and make the whole exhaust system one big F'n PITA to deal with. Unless all of the mountings are kept properly torqued frequently then these welds will crack and cannot (to my knowledge) be successfully, dependably rewelded. When this happens the best solution is to replace with an aftermarket Staintune or Remus.

Somewhere in the 90-110k range one of the U-joints on the drive shaft will most likely 'splode. Probably not something to worry about on a 31k bike.

duck screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 09:05 PM
Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #14
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
WTF? Yours must have been built during Oktoberfest. Never heard of that one before.
Really? As my K guru -Jdiaz

I know quite a few that leaked there - even my mechanic at Max says it's quite common as there is no real stock gasket.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #15
duck
Banned

I've owned 16 of them, and parted quite a few more. Never seen one leak there. No gasket but they all have that flexible sealant for the timing covers and water/oil pump.