User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Rider 101 OP
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 891
tour companies

I am looking to do a ride in Peru / Bolivia 2014 and am looking for a reputable tour operator with decent hire bikes. The trip is still in the planning stage so any advice ( time of year, equipment to take from Oz etc ) would be more than appreciated. I don't do hot weather and prefer our cooler months here rather than the Aussie summer at the beach so I can discount a Dakar follow up tour. Pity they don't run the event in spring or autumn.
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
I am looking to do a ride in Peru / Bolivia 2014 and am looking for a reputable tour operator with decent hire bikes. The trip is still in the planning stage so any advice ( time of year, equipment to take from Oz etc ) would be more than appreciated. I don't do hot weather and prefer our cooler months here rather than the Aussie summer at the beach so I can discount a Dakar follow up tour. Pity they don't run the event in spring or autumn.
Yes, it's summer during the Dakar, but it's never very warm in the mountains of Peru and Bolivia, especially over 8,000 feet. Bring your warmest waterproof clothing.

There are several decent tour operators but I haven't ridden with them and I don't personally know anyone who has so I can't offer legit advice. I think the guy from Compass Expeditions used to post here but I haven't heard from him for a while.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Are you looking to book a tour or bikes? I did a tour with Compass Expeditions and was VERY happy with the experience. For me, it was the right mix of adventure and comfort. Here is a link to the ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756161

They also have a contact who rents bikes in SA so even if you wanted just to rent one, it wouldn't hurt to contact them.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Rider 101 OP
Wannabe adventurer

tour companies

Thanks for the link. I don't really know too much about SA but the photos look awesome. I will have to do a little research. I know what you mean about using a tour company. I used to sweep ride for an off-road company. They are great if time is limited or you want to ride for riding's sake. I think Compass were at the Syney Motorcycle show 18 months ago. If they are there this year I will definitley be talking to them. In the mean time I shall continue exploring the back roads of the Great Dividng Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Are you looking to book a tour or bikes? I did a tour with Compass Expeditions and was VERY happy with the experience. For me, it was the right mix of adventure and comfort. Here is a link to the ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756161

They also have a contact who rents bikes in SA so even if you wanted just to rent one, it wouldn't hurt to contact them.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 729
Rental / Tour Company in Cusco, Peru

Rider 101,

I used Peru Moto Tours and was extremely pleased with their bikes and professionalism. The owner, Alex Luna, was a professional MX racer and genuine good guy. Here is a link to their website:

www.perumototours.com

They are located in Cusco, which is a quick cheap flight from Lima.

The Sacred Valley Peru ride report is in my signature line.

Cheers,
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Rider 101 OP
Wannabe adventurer

tours

Poolman,
thanks for the link. SA is looking more and more spectacular. It makes all the long hours of overtime a little more meaningful if I can get to ride through such exotic places. I need to sit and make a list of what i would like to visit ( probably 6 months worth of travel! )
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Plus One on a one man, local operation. Lots of the BIG outfits contract out to "agents" , ya never know how it will go. A local guy is more invested but sometimes the bikes might not be the best.

That said, get onto Horizon's Unlimited web site. Many tour companies advertise there. Some good, some not. But its a start and may allow some comparison of services/prices. Most tour outfits will stay only in one country, but there are exceptions.

It would be cool to be able to tour Peru' and Bolivia. Both worth it. Huge countries, so much territory to cover. I spent 3 months in Peru' and saw only a tiny fraction. (same with Bolivia) try to learn a few words of Spanish so as not to embarrass yourself!
(I had to bail two Aussies out of jail in La Paz, Bol for fighting ... all due to a miscommunication! A great fight though, until the guys with the machine guys turned up! )

Have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #8
Rider 101 OP
Wannabe adventurer

SA tours

Thanks to all for hints. There is an inmate on the Oz side looking to do a trip in October 2014. I think we should be able to hook up. Again any advice re tours, bike hire etc etc is greatly appreciated. 2014 is a long way out but it will help with the planning and heighten the anticipation
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,784
I'm the inmate on the Oz side and any help greatly appreciated. I think Oct 2014 will be here before I know it much reading to do. Gavin
gavo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Andean Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dakar tours in Bolivia

Hi guys, I actually run a company called www.motorcycletoursbolivia.com and we are doing a special 7 day tour taking in the Dakar rally here in the Salar de Uyuni. We are a small freindly company with great bikes and a Land cruiser for support.Check out our web page and if interested email me.
Andean Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #11
Rider 101 OP
Wannabe adventurer

dakar

Ambitions completely outstrip abilities!! I watch Dakar every year and wish I was young and fit enough to even think of doing it. Can you give me more details? route average temperature etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andean Rider View Post
Hi guys, I actually run a company called www.motorcycletoursbolivia.com and we are doing a special 7 day tour taking in the Dakar rally here in the Salar de Uyuni. We are a small freindly company with great bikes and a Land cruiser for support.Check out our web page and if interested email me.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
Ambitions completely outstrip abilities!! I watch Dakar every year and wish I was young and fit enough to even think of doing it. Can you give me more details? route average temperature etc etc.
Rider, Don't write yourself off. Chasing the Dakar is rigorous as far as the hours/day you have to put in, but your riding skills don't have to be in top shape.

Up front I'll tell you that I own a moto adventure tour company out of Peru, and having lived in Peru for 30 years and ridden Peru/Bolivia/Argentina/Brazil, I can help you with most anything you need to know, whether you choose to use me or not... that's not why I do it....

(1) Do you know that you cannot (under current laws, I'm hoping that the Dakar in Bolivia this year will change that) take a motorcycle across the Peru/Bolivia border? You would have to use Chile as a crossing place between the two countries unless that changes..

(2) Most moto rental places don't let their bikes out of the country. PeruMotors does not, but Alex / PeruMotoTours does. I do, but not as a rental. I do custom tours according to what the client wants and then guide them. That doesn't mean expensive, with my contacts and my moto rates I can organize and guide a trip for cheaper than you can do it yourself!

(3) How long a trip are you thinking of? Past a certain amount of time, you are better to purchase a moto... Most places charge $80 to $100 a day, whether you use it that day or not. They keep almost new bikes because they don't want to have to go pick them up long distance if something breaks. My bikes are a little older, but I keep them in top shape and I accompany them and can fix anything on the spot.

(4) The temperature does not change much in South America through the year, it changes through the day. In the Andes, day and night is about 40 degrees F difference. The big thing is the dry vs rainy season. For Peru/Bolivia, May to October is the best, always 70 degrees F , dry and sunny. December to April can be done, but you can't travel as far in a day, nor count on traveling every day!

(5) Not having someone fluent in Spanish can make or break your trip. Having grown up in Peru, I speak some Quechua/Aymara besides being fluent in Spanish and it makes a HUGE difference for everything from the cost of lodging to getting past police!

Anything else you would like to know about a moto trip in Peru and Bolivia, just write me. I am doing a 2-week Peru/Bolivia low budget trip in early December, just to stage my motorcycles in Santa Cruz, Bolivia to pick up the Dakar down there. Maybe you and a buddy should accompany me on that one to pre-check a larger trip you want to do! http://www.aroundtheblockmotoadventu...-bolivia-2013/

Cheers! Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Soo true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Plus One on a one man, local operation. Lots of the BIG outfits contract out to "agents" , ya never know how it will go. A local guy is more invested but sometimes the bikes might not be the best.
Grifter,

You are so right. These international companies are not on the ground with their own motorcycles! It makes a HUGE difference!

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
Rider 101 OP
Wannabe adventurer

Locals

Toby,
thanks for the info and the link.
Some years ago I was involved in a tour operation hear in Australia as a sweep rider. The overwhelming comment at the end of a ride ( usually 2 days on enduro bikes ) was how much fun riding was when you don't have to consider where you are going, where is lunch, etc. We operated in our local forests and customer satisfaction was very high judging by the number of repeat clients. Your web site looks and feels professional. Having local knowledge and language is a huge plus for any prospective client.
I will certainly be poring over google maps and sifting through as much travel information as I can. I am looking at 12 to 15 days of moderate riding ( not snotty gnarly single track! )

As for the Dakar I had pictured 40 degree celcius days under a blistering sun. I had presumed this as it is run in high summer and where I live the bike is parked until the weather cools off.

I will put your website in my favourites and with some good management be able to look at a trip in 2014 whether it is a Dakar or one of your others.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
Grifter,

You are so right. These international companies are not on the ground with their own motorcycles! It makes a HUGE difference!
Hey Toby, I hope your operation is a big success! Kudos to you for jumping in and providing a good alternative to the BIG companies!
I'll be happy to recommend your tours to anyone.
Best!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote