hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Here ya go; op on his gs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
I like THIS as potential sig line material. Mark H.
Folks must be getting desperate cause If this is the GS rider, I would hate to see his girlfriend.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #92
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Should have let them all go by. When you got to the next good turn, stuck it underneath them going in, while your wife screamed at them and called them squids, or like on here, NOOBS. And then, she should have stuck her foot over there, and depending on which side you passed on, either shifted one of their bikes, or stepped on the brake.

Actually, what they probably said to each other at the next stop , was, "I'm sure glad we didn't have to scrape that guy and his ole lady up off the pavement. For a minute there, I thought he was trying to keep up. I think his throttle was stuck."
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #93
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
For me, the FIRST goal of any ride is to get from point A (home) to point A, body and bike intact. Doesn't matter how many other stops occur in the hours or days of the ride; that is the primary goal. The secondary goal is to have fun.

I sometimes ride fast because I think it the safer option. I sometimes ride fast because it is fun and doesn't in anyway endanger another person. But I never "compete" with other motorists. I see riding/driving as a co-operative activity on public roads.

Maybe a more accurate priority list for me: 1. safety for myself and those around me on the road, 2. civility to the other road users, 3. fun, and 4. legality.

There are many motorists (including the OP) who don't share this philosophy. I accept that, don't get angry and just get out of the way.

Guess this works better for older riders like myself. Lower testosterone level?
BCKRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #94
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,425
Think the OP is PO'd
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #95
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
They probably did. A slower bike that refuses to yield to faster traffic generally gets some comments.

And before everyone jumps on me, let's be clear...The GS/A is a great bike that's a ton of fun to throw around on a winding road. What it's not is a sportbike, and given equal talent in the seat, a sportbike will steal a GS/A's lunch and sleep with its girlfriend.
This may be true but irrelevant in the real world (not on a race track) where speed is almost always limited by the rider, not the bike. I had a 95 R1100GS and nearly everyone I rode with was on sportbikes. I never felt like I was at any kind of disadvantage until the speeds got into triple digits.

Given riders of equal talent on a twisty public road speed will be limited by what the riders consider safe, not the bike. My observations where based mostly on riding on twisty roads in the mountains of the Eastern US. In some parts of the country where the roads are more wide open, things might be different. I did spend a week riding in Colorado with some sport bike riders and found the same results. Actually, my fuel injected GS would pull harder at 10,000+ feet than many of the carburated bikes like the Honda VFR.

A number of my old sportbike riding friends switched to GS's, or other adventure bikes, and most of them are faster on their adventure bikes than they were on their sport bikes.

klaviator screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 06:07 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #96
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 979
Best responses. I've choked on my coffee more than once
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #97
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatscooking View Post
Was on a ride with the wife on our GSA loaded up with the cases on when i happened to look in the rear view and saw three of them comming hard around us. Well thought i would pick it up a little and got between 2 and three, all the while the wife giving me the slap on the back. They went on but i bet on their next stop they had something to talk about.
Is that what's referred to as "adventure riding"? Would have been cooler if you overcooked it into a hairpin.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #98
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,238
"A number of my old sportbike riding friends switched to GS's, or other adventure bikes, and most of them are faster on their adventure bikes than they were on their sport bikes."
Yep, that is why you see so many GS's on the race track.
Stupid racers trying to go fast on their sport bikes just need a GS.
Why did BMW waste all that development money on the S1000 RR?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #99
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
"A number of my old sportbike riding friends switched to GS's, or other adventure bikes, and most of them are faster on their adventure bikes than they were on their sport bikes."
Yep, that is why you see so many GS's on the race track.
Stupid racers trying to go fast on their sport bikes just need a GS.
Why did BMW waste all that development money on the S1000 RR?
I was talking about on the street, not the race track. How many riders do you know that can come anywhere close to their bikes limits on the street? Perhaps you should have read my entire post.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #100
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I was talking about on the street, not the race track. How many riders do you know that can come anywhere close to their bikes limits on the street? Perhaps you should have read my entire post.
Not everybody rides with a bunch of choads like you do obviously.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #101
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Not everybody rides with a bunch of choads like you do obviously.
*ahem*

chode

TortillaJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #102
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
I read your entire post. I didn't name you or quote your entire ridiculous post because I didn't want to embarrass you. Sorry I called you out for your statement. NOT
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #103
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I read your entire post. I didn't name you or quote your entire ridiculous post because I didn't want to embarrass you. Sorry I called you out for your statement. NOT
I'm not embarrassed by what I posted. How about answering my question. How many riders do you know that can ride their bikes anywhere near the bikes limits. I'm not talking about bikes with very limited ground clearance like most cruisers.

People with actual riding experience (not just keyboard experience) know that's it's the rider not the bike. On the race track, the higher limits of a sport bike makes a difference, on the street, not so much unless we're talking straight roads.

Have you actually ridden on any really twisty roads???

klaviator screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 02:10 PM
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #104
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
This may be true but irrelevant in the real world (not on a race track) where speed is almost always limited by the rider, not the bike. I had a 95 R1100GS and nearly everyone I rode with was on sportbikes. I never felt like I was at any kind of disadvantage until the speeds got into triple digits.

Given riders of equal talent on a twisty public road speed will be limited by what the riders consider safe, not the bike. My observations where based mostly on riding on twisty roads in the mountains of the Eastern US. In some parts of the country where the roads are more wide open, things might be different. I did spend a week riding in Colorado with some sport bike riders and found the same results. Actually, my fuel injected GS would pull harder at 10,000+ feet than many of the carburated bikes like the Honda VFR.

A number of my old sportbike riding friends switched to GS's, or other adventure bikes, and most of them are faster on their adventure bikes than they were on their sport bikes.
Quote:
I'm not embarrassed by what I posted. How about answering my question. How many riders do you know that can ride their bikes anywhere near the bikes limits. I'm not talking about bikes with very limited ground clearance like most cruisers.

People with actual riding experience (not just keyboard experience) know that's it's the bike not the rider. On the race track, the higher limits of a sport bike makes a difference, on the street, not so much unless we're talking straight roads.

Have you actually ridden on any really twisty roads???
So, you're saying that the adventure bikes are a faster bike on the street than sport bikes? I'm quite confused and befuddled here.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #105
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
So, you're saying that the adventure bikes are a faster bike on the street than sport bikes? I'm quite confused and befuddled here.
No, I'm saying it's the rider, not the bike. Many riders find it easier to go faster on an adventure bike. Very few riders can ride either an adventure bike or sport bike to it's limits on the street and if they can, they are smart enough not to do so. I'm also talking twisty roads, not Kansas or Floriduh. Whether are rider is faster on an adventure bike or sport bike depends mainly on which type of bike he is more comfortable with.

Anyone who has much experience on twisty roads will know that there is a great variance in riders abilities and speeds. You will see slow as well as fast riders on every kind of bike. A fast rider on an adventure bike will beat a slow rider on any sport bike on any curvy road. If both riders have equal ability, there's no telling which one will be faster.

Put two fast riders on a race track or public road where speed will be in the triple digits then the higher performance of the sport bike will make a big difference.