Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #121
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
But since we obviously have many super talented riders on this forum, I'd like to know which of you high performance sport bike riders can run his bike at or even near it's the limit on the street???
My guess is the riders with that much skill/experience don't even try to ride that hard on the street. That is how they lived long enough to get the experience.

The most experienced riders I know advised me to never push past 80% on the street, because the unexpected might just take the other 20%. 4 out of 5 times that I have broken that self imposed rule, I have regretted it, and had close calls.

Riding 2-up, I may push to 50%.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #122
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
Quote:
Yes, I meant to type it's the rider, not the bike. If you have spent any time riding around Robbinsville you would have witnessed riders ranging from very slow to very fast on all kinds of bikes. You would know it's not uncommon for someone on a GS or other ADV or DS bike to pass a sportbike. It happens all the time. Of course, those bikes are also passed by fast riders on sportbikes.

I see in your sig line that you are not exactly riding real high performance bikes. Don't tell me you have never passed, or at least been held up by some sportbikes on 129 or 28.
klaviator,
I am not a fast rider and never said I was. I am not riding high performance bikes. Of course I've been passed and also held up in the mountains of WNC.
I use the pull offs when necessary and hope others will do the same for me.

None of the above has anything to do with your asinine statement "A number of my old sportbike riding friends switched to GS's, or other adventure bikes, and most of them are faster on their adventure bikes than they were on their sport bikes."

I wrote "I have a cabin just outside of Robbinsville which is in WNC where I have spent six months a year for the last ten years so I do get to ride a few twisty roads. "

You wrote " If you have spent any time riding around Robbinsville you would have witnessed riders ranging from very slow to very fast on all kinds of bikes. "?

Ten years times six months per year is a lot of time on twisty years.

Please take the time to read other's posts before you fly off the handle.
Thanks
Hope to see you inor around Robbinsville. I'll be on my W650

or my Ural Yamal in a week.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #123
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatscooking View Post
Was on a ride with the wife on our GSA loaded up with the cases on when i happened to look in the rear view and saw three of them comming hard around us. Well thought i would pick it up a little and got between 2 and three, all the while the wife giving me the slap on the back. They went on but i bet on their next stop they had something to talk about.
Shit bmw riders say...
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #124
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
The brake is the thingamabob and the clutch is the thingamajig. Totally different. Besides, it's just like riding a bike....
LIES! I just rode a bike (read bicycle) for the first time in a couple years, it was quite disorientating for the first 5 mins since I ride my motorcycle daily for the past year.
At the first stop it pretty much went like this in my head "Where's the shifter...oh wait on the handle bar, shucks I need to pedal to change gears. AH! Don't pull the left lever so hard, stupid brake levers are in the wrong spots"

Went on to have a very nice 2 hour ride (& safe!)

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #125
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
LIES! I just rode a bike (read bicycle) for the first time in a couple years, it was quite disorientating for the first 5 mins since I ride my motorcycle daily for the past year.
At the first stop it pretty much went like this in my head "Where's the shifter...oh wait on the handle bar, shucks I need to pedal to change gears. AH! Don't pull the left lever so hard, stupid brake levers are in the wrong spots"

Went on to have a very nice 2 hour ride (& safe!)
Reminds me of the first time I drove an automatic. I learned to drive on a stick and my first two cars were manuals. I was about 25 and had just bought my first automatic car. I was accelerating from a red light and without even thinking I put my left foot on the left pedal and mashed the brakes trying to push the clutch in. Cars behind me were honking and I felt like an idiot. After that I started keeping my left foot WAY over to the left.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #126
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
......... stupid brake levers are in the wrong spots"
First thing I did on my bicycle was to switch cables for the brake levers !
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #127
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Reminds me of the first time I drove an automatic. I learned to drive on a stick and my first two cars were manuals. I was about 25 and had just bought my first automatic car. I was accelerating from a red light and without even thinking I put my left foot on the left pedal and mashed the brakes trying to push the clutch in. Cars behind me were honking and I felt like an idiot. After that I started keeping my left foot WAY over to the left.
I learned on an automatic, got a manual and did the exact same thing when I tried to drive a manual again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
First thing I did on my bicycle was to switch cables for the brake levers !
That is brilliant...but I think my brother would kill me if I did that to his bike

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #128
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
I never claimed to be great at expressing myself. Nor do I claim to be a really fast rider. However, I have been riding on twisty roads for a long time and have had the chance to observe a lot of other riders. Let me try to sum up what I have been trying, if somewhat unsuccessfully, to say.

1. A modern sport bike has much higher performance limits than an adventure bike like a GS on most paved roads, straight or twisty.

2. Very few riders can ride their bikes near the limit on public roads unless the roads are fairly straight and the rider is willing to risk his license.

3. Many riders are really slow and don't come anywhere near their bikes limits. Some riders are slow because they don't want to push their luck on public roads and others just don't know how to ride.

4. On the types of roads I enjoy riding, twisty mountain roads, the limiting factor on speed is usually the rider, not the bike. OK, some bikes like cruisers or mopeds will limit the speed.

5. A good rider on a loaded GS, with a passenger will be capable of outrunning a fair number of the "high performance" sport bike riders out there. This sort of thing happens more often than most sport bike riders care to admit. If you are a fast rider, it won't happen to you but many rider's are nowhere near "fast"

6. I'm sure some of you are faster on your sportbikes than your ADV bikes but I have seen a number of riders who got faster when they switched to ADV bikes. A big part of going fast is feeling comfortable with the bike you are riding and maybe some riders just feel more confident on a bike with an upright seating position like a GS.

7. I owned a R1100GS and SV650 at the same time. The SV650 was not the fastest bike out there but did have more power than the GS. I'm not sure which bike I was faster on but I'll guess that on smooth roads probably the SV and rough roads the GS. The GS was easier to ride fast even if it wasn't actually faster. I also had a chance to swap bikes with guys I rode with. Some of the bikes I remember riding on swaps were, RC51, CBR600F3, DUC900ss, Triumph T595, CBR900RR. The only one of those bikes that seemed easier to ride fast was the 900RR and it had been highly modified. I am not a sport bike hater and have great respect for those who really know how to ride them. However, in my experience, a large percentage of the sportbike rider's out there are wasting their money because they haven't a clue what to do when the road turns twisty. I have passed some sportbikes on 129 and 28 while riding a 150cc scooter with limited cornering clearance. Obviously it's not because I was going real fast. I have also come across sport bike riders who I couldn't keep up with if you gave me Rossi's MotoGP bike. My experience on group rides is the fastest guys are often not on the fastest bikes.

8. I can't believe that all the "experts" who have posted on this thread have never witnessed guys on sport bikes (and other bikes) that were going so slow that any competent rider couldn't pass them. Maybe where you come from all the sport bike riders out there are really fast. I have ridden in around 40 out of 50 states and I have yet to find a place where most of the riders where really fast. Anyone out there know an area where most of the riders are competent and fast???

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #129
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
I miss my sportbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #130
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 700
Quote:

...anyone out there know an area where most of the riders are competent and fast???

Yup.

Lotusland.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #131
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
8. I can't believe that all the "experts" who have posted on this thread have never witnessed guys on sport bikes (and other bikes) that were going so slow that any competent rider couldn't pass them. Maybe where you come from all the sport bike riders out there are really fast. I have ridden in around 40 out of 50 states and I have yet to find a place where most of the riders where really fast. Anyone out there know an area where most of the riders are competent and fast???
I don't know if anyone here has said this. I think the problem is that you're making a different point in each of your posts, so it's hard for us to really even discuss this with you. I think I'm now understanding what you're saying... But some of your posts directly contradict each other, so I'm honestly not sure.

By the way, I'm an example of a guy on a sport bike that goes so slow anyone could pass them. I could pass me if I wanted to. However, I don't like tickets or crashing, so I generally go about the speed limit, maybe five or ten over.

Bragging about who's fastest on the street is stupid. It all comes down to who is comfortable taking the biggest risk.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #132
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I don't know if anyone here has said this. I think the problem is that you're making a different point in each of your posts, so it's hard for us to really even discuss this with you. I think I'm now understanding what you're saying... But some of your posts directly contradict each other, so I'm honestly not sure.

By the way, I'm an example of a guy on a sport bike that goes so slow anyone could pass them. I could pass me if I wanted to. However, I don't like tickets or crashing, so I generally go about the speed limit, maybe five or ten over.

Bragging about who's fastest on the street is stupid. It all comes down to who is comfortable taking the biggest risk.
A 12 yr old boy?
Did I ever tell y'all 'bout the time I passed a GS on a dirt road whilst ride'in mah FJR?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #133
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I call bullshit. A sport bike is designed to go FAST both in a straight line and through turns. Why does everyone think that in a curvy environment their (fill in the blank) moto can outrun and out corner a sportbike that was made for just such an environment? On a dirt road, yes your ADV, GS, Tiger or other mega dual sport will likely outperform a 600 CC Supersport but on asphalt, not likely. Can we please dispense with this myth? And yes, I have ridden twisty roads form Hawaii to New England (HI to California was a little tricky, but I had rain slicks, so...).
And I've got a 450smr and it out corners sport bikes what's your point...

It really depends on the road. Smooth sweeping corners like a race track. Sport bike all day everyday. Tighter bumpier roads not so much.

The place where the ADV bikes really suffer is trail braking. The front suspension tends to be to soft and the front contact patch just doesn't compare to the 17's on sport bikes...
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #134
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 244
Cool a C-5 Loaded with cargo tried to keep up with three F-16s

Thats an old air force joke
An F-16 fighter pulls up next to a C-5 Jumbo and the pilots started harassing each other over the radio. Finally, a competition evolves and the F-16 guy tells the C-5 guy to follow him. The F-16 guy does several loops, flips over and then does a simulated straffing run on the C-5. F-16 guy laughs and said now show me what you can do.
They fly straight and true for the next hour and the F-16 guy gets bored and says is that all you can do?
C-5 guy comes back and states he just took a crap, got some coffee w/lunch and took a 20 minute nap.
F-16 guy gives up and leaves the C-5 alone.
Morale is F-16s are fast C-5s are slow and carry toilets stay out of each others way!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #135
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Evil genius

I'm bettin the OP situation never happened and was just thrown out to froth you mean bastards up. Sorry if this has been covered I couldn't take it anymore and jumped to the end. Some good respectful points about safety though. Think about the little dude that was killed in the Boston bombings, Martin Richard wanted Peace, and for people to be nice to each other. as evidenced by the picture of him in media since his death with his PEACE poster. We should learn from things like this.

xcountry41 screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 03:39 AM
xcountry41 is online now   Reply With Quote