User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #31
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 832
22mm open end wrench & torque on the top nuts is 40nm

For the GS LC you actually need a 22mm open end wrench and the torque on the top nuts is 40nm & use blue loctite if you reuse the nuts. (This from my dealer's service dept. who've been great in providing this kind of info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
What he says.

Dropping the fork tube is super easy and simple. I just did my 2013 camhead and was really amazed how easy it was. There are several threads available to show you how. I think all you need is a 19mm open end wrench and a 14mm socket/ratchet.

I also had to reposition the throttle cable but you may not have that problem since you are doing the fly by wire thing.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #32
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
For the GS LC you actually need a 22mm open end wrench and the torque on the top nuts is 40nm & use blue loctite if you reuse the nuts. (This from my dealer's service dept. who've been great in providing this kind of info.)
Doc - Mine are on order and should arrive next week. Did you have any issues with cable length?
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #33
kindofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
Doc - Mine are on order and should arrive next week. Did you have any issues with cable length?
No but one side (can't remember which) is snug when you've got the bars all the way over. I'm going to drop the forks tomorrow and reroute the cables, just to be sure. That seems to be a relatively easy and quick task.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
No but one side (can't remember which) is snug when you've got the bars all the way over. I'm going to drop the forks tomorrow and reroute the cables, just to be sure. That seems to be a relatively easy and quick task.
Yeah. Looks like mine are already a bit snug on the right so I'll plan on that too. I may see if I can snip some zip ties first tho.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #35
edpittenger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wanna sell the risers from you old GS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I attempted to install my Rox risers from my previous GS on the new one not knowing anout the change in diameter. Obviously they didntbwork. Good news is there appears to be plenty of excess wiring to allow risers without any modification.
I'm looking for a set for my '05 GS if you want to sell them. PM me if interested.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
kindofblue

dropping the forks to relocate the cables

I had to buy a 22mm open end wrench to do this and also needed my wife to hold it (which keeps the fork from turning) while I loosened the nut on top of the forks. The same with putting the nut back on (w/blue loctite) and tightening it to 40nm w/the torque wrench. Maybe you could do this yourself. I didn't want to risk stripping the nut with the socket wrench.

Other than that, it really was easy and took no time at all. I cut the zip tie on the right cable but didn't need to cut the zip tie on the left.

I'm not sure you need to do this with the 40mm risers but in all likelihood will need to do it with the taller, adjustable Rox Risers that Chris is just finishing up the prototype. I'll be beta testing these too

Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpittenger View Post
I'm looking for a set for my '05 GS if you want to sell them. PM me if interested.
Already sold them. Sorry.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #38
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed my Rox *block* risers today. Fine quality and easy installation. They provide 35mm of rise over stock.

I did clip the front zip tie on the right. I'll watch it and decide later if I want to reroute the cables behind.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #39
kindofblue

riser height

Cool. I really like the prototype I've been using. I believe they're 40mm though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
Installed my Rox *block* risers today. Fine quality and easy installation. They provide 35mm of rise over stock.

I did clip the front zip tie on the right. I'll watch it and decide later if I want to reroute the cables behind.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

That are indeed 40mm. Clearly mis-measured
Old 07-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #41
paco fernandez
Mexico

Oddometer: 64
Touratech.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD
paco fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Rox 40mm block risers.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #43
RoxStuff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
ROX SPEED FX 2012 BMW LC 2" Pivoting riser

Hey All,

Its been a bit since I have laid some tracks down on this thread so I thought I would give you an update. The LC riser R&D is complete after spending the weekend in Salem (MOA) with the Prototypes we designed. The prototypes were 2.25" in height, I have changed that to 2.125" for the final design. BMW chose to bump up the diameter of the stock clamps and handle bars to 1.25" diameter on the 2012 LC. It is NOT the same as previous GS1200 models which are 1-1/8" dia. or 7/8" dia. depending on the year and model. Hope that answers the questions being asked here.

We also have the solution for the cables. I have pics of what we did which will be in the instructions provided with the package. We did move the right side cables to the outside of the triple clamp. there is a factory placed zip tie hole on the shroud support on the right side that works perfectly for retaining the brake line and electrical lines running from the right handlebar controls. Zip ties were cut as far back on all cables (right and left controls) as we could. We loosed the clutch lever bracket and moved it inboard on the handle bar 1/8"-3/16" which gave us enough slack/play in the line to not have to move it outside the triple tree. I prefer that move anyways as I like to have my pointer and index finger resting in the elbow of the clutch lever vs the upper arm.

here is a 3D model of the final design coming off the machine centers this week. My hope NOW is to have product available in two weeks time. Thanks for your patience.

Chris~Rox
RoxStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
RoxStuff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
ROX SPEED FX 2012 BMW LC 2" Pivoting riser LC

Right side cable routing pic. Outside the triple tree and zip tied to the OEM provided hole in the subframe.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/IMG_6908.JPG
RoxStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #45
kindofblue

block vs. adjustable risers

As the beta tester for Chris and Rox I can testify that the adjustable risers are more comfy than the non-adjustable, block risers. For me, at least. (I'm 6'4" w/34" inseam.)

I was in Salem and helped Chris figure out whether the adjustable risers were going to work or not. We ended up installing the adjustable risers on the demo GS LC that Adventure Designs had there to show off the products they were offering.