User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
jasiebol OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
young rider

hi all, i just bought my 7 year old a dirt bike this weekend, he can ride his bickcycle very well but is having trouble with this, what are some of your ideas that i can use to help him?
jasiebol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Is it an auto clutch? On our small ATVs we sometimes put them in second so that they can go without having to worry about shifting.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
jasiebol OP
Adventurer

yes its a crf50 with the auto clutch, and i left it in first
1980 xs850 special
1986 xr100
Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
7 huh? Bring a bunch of his buddies over to watch... he'll be showing off in no time!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 654
What is he having a hard time with? Steering, power, wheelies?
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
jasiebol OP
Adventurer

keeping his balance and throttle control, i have turned down alot but he just wants to peg it, then he loses control and runs into things
1980 xs850 special
1986 xr100
Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 654
Put away the Nitro Circus DVDs, let him watch Sesame Street for a week and then try again.

Sorry, no real advice...
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,429
Dress him in gear like Ralphies little brother in A Christmas Story, then let him loose in a big field. Hopefully he figures it out before he wants to quit!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
My daughter started on the same bike, she was a little older. At first I gave her a lot of instruction of the throttle by lifting the rear wheel off the ground and had her work it. Her first attempt I ran along with her and "held " her up, helps to be in decent shape, she panicked and pegged the throttle and I lifted her off the bike as it went in to the koi pond. The next try she did fine and got the hang of it.
Good luck, be patient, when he does run in to something or drop it just blow it off, make it fun, my daughter still laughs about driving in the koi pond.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasiebol View Post
keeping his balance and throttle control, i have turned down alot but he just wants to peg it, then he loses control and runs into things
He's just building up experience by probing the limits. Sooner or later he'll learn where they are, and stay on long enough to win races. In the meantime just hope he doesn't have to be patched up too much. Fortunately, the small bike, small boy combination puts physics in his favour to some extent.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
My daughter started riding a little PW50 when she was 4....she is now 9 and rides a Honda CRF70.

EVERY time we go riding (even now), I have her go over all of the controls before we ever start the bike. I drill into her where is the rear brake, where is the front brake, where is the kill switch.

I have done it so many times, she automatically reaches for the correct location.

Another training tool we used when she was younger, was to set out a course with a bunch of red plastic drinking cups. I would set them in such a manner that she had to go relatively slow to keep between the "cones". If she ran over any of them, they just crush, and not cause her to crash.

I tried to teach her early on..."first be slow and in control of the bike, and then you can worry about being fast".

Now, we use the cups in conjunction with strategically placed logs...she loves it.

She is turning into an excellent little rider.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,823
Hes still at the age where target fixation will prevail. As soon as he cracks the throttle, everything you told him is out the window. I replaced the kill switches on my kids bikes with the teather type from a wave runner. Tied a cord to the switch and made them do stop n gos and figure 8s untill they were bored with it. Had to pull the switch a couple times. That quickly engrained the subconcious muscle memory required to close the throttle and hit the brakes without having to think about it. Worked very well. After that, the kill switches were tethered to their gloves at all times. Good luck and keep the camera rolling.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
hi all, i just bought my 7 year old a dirt bike this weekend, he can ride his bickcycle very well but is having trouble with this, what are some of your ideas that i can use to help him?
There are those that teach kids to ride, such as the MSF Dirt Bike Classes. (I teach them) there is also the national Youth program using Minin Bikes that also work with kids.
It takes a little time just sitting still and working on throttle control but it does work! I did a class of 5 kids this past Sunday, yougest Age 7 on a XR50, a 9 year old on a Honda 70 , two other 9 year olds on Honda 80's (With Clutch) and the oldest age 13 on a Honda 100. Was a fun day.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
When my son got his JR50 at the age of 4, we had training wheels on it. We gave him the basic instructions and let him loose in a field. After a few days, he complained about the training wheels (often getting high-centered) so we took them off. It only took him a few hours to figure out the balancing part... and within a couple of months, he was "stunting" it. Yes, I was watching him out the kitchen window and saw him standing on the seat as he rode by.

I'm sure he's an unusual case, but things that helped were:
The training wheels: Gave him a feel for the throttle response without falling over.
Big field: Gave him the room to figure out the throttle.
This tip was more for getting him used to a clutch when he moved up to his 65, but I can't see that it wouldn't hurt here... put the front tire into a ditch, perpendicular to the ditch (so rear is still up on the main land area). Roll on the throttle to get a feel for how much is needed to make the bike start moving.

Hope that helps!
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I have been working with my nine year olds on the same bike. A couple of things......

Remember to tell them to look where they want to go. Target fixation is huge.

Also, make sure you have them start with their right wrist down. One of my twins gets his wrist up high, then pins it when he panics. Wrist low helps prevent that.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote