ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,363
Is my muffler legal for National Forest?

I've got a stock DR350 muffler, which appears to have some internal baffling. Not sure if it's considered a spark arrester. There's definitely no Forest Service stampings on it, and I really don't want to take any chances with shooting hot embers out my exhaust.

If it's not legal/safe, can you guys suggest any sort of aftermarket muffler, or modifications I can make? Are there other OEM mufflers I can replace it with on the cheap? I'm handy with a welder, so making alterations isn't a problem.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
stick a rod down there. If it stops at a screen-yes. If no, no.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 954
I took a YZ250 with a stock (non-spark arrested) exhaust to an RMEC enduro in Nebraska where they checked for a spark arrestor with a lawn flag. I should have read the rules that said spark arrestors were required. I'd already driven all the way there, so I gave it a shot and ran the bike through tech inspection anyway.

The stock exhaust on that bike (and most 2 strokes nowadays) exits the bike at about a 45 degree angle. In order to have the exhaust not shoot straight skyward, the muffler has a slight downturn right at the tip. When the tech guy put the wire rod into my exhaust, he hit the core right away. He assumed what he hit was a spark arrestor and I passed the tech inspection check.

I guess the point is, the rod check is not always the best way to check for a spark arrestor. Haven't most stock exhausts had spark arrestors from the factory for some time now? I'm thinking at least 30 some odd years.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 686
I have heard that the endcap or the muffler itself has to be stamped that it has an approved arrestor installed. I have been stopped and inspected with my Non stamped, endcap before with no problems. My arrestor is visible and is an approved cone shaped screen that I welded to my endcap. New endcap with stamp was very expensive so I fabbed an approved screen to my existing cap. YMMV
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
The stock exhaust on that bike (and most 2 strokes nowadays) exits the bike at about a 45 degree angle. In order to have the exhaust not shoot straight skyward, the muffler has a slight downturn right at the tip. When the tech guy put the wire rod into my exhaust, he hit the core right away. He assumed what he hit was a spark arrestor and I passed the tech inspection check.
Is it just a bend in there, or a krizman type spark arrestor?

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Crenshaw
Bum

Oddometer: 109
Sure there's not one in there already?

My dr350 stock muffler has something like "contains usfs approved spark arrestor" stamped on the side of it near the rear. I'll look at it later and grab a pic. I thought they all came with one.
Crenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
My dr350 stock muffler has something like "contains usfs approved spark arrestor" stamped on the side of it near the rear. I'll look at it later and grab a pic. I thought they all came with one.
Mine's a 1990, so maybe it's too old?

To be clear, I'm not trying to skirt the law. I want to be unquestionably compliant, and do as much as possible to reduce the risk of sparking a wildfire.

From what I've found on-line, the Forest Service stamp isn't necessarily required if the muffler passes a physical inspection. Being a used bike, I'm not 100% certain this muffler hasn't been modified. There's some sort of mod that's common with DR350's that involves removing some internal components.

Is there any sort of screen that I can weld or rivet into the muffler's exit that has a Forest Service stamp?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Is it just a bend in there, or a krizman type spark arrestor?
Just a bend, about 45 degrees, right at the end of the muffler. Had he taken a different angle into the muffler, his rod would have slipped right through. It was a forest service guy, too. You would think he would have been trained to look for the stamp or at least know a stock muffler from an aftermarket one. Its been quite a few years since I have done this so maybe they have gotten better at knowing what to look for.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
no2tracks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Exhaust sparks fire?

Has there ever been a proven case of a fire started by embers from an exhaust off a motorcycle? Off a train exhaust, yes. Off the chains of chainsaws, yes. But off a motorcycle?
no2tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 686
Cj,

Go here and look at some of the screens available. See if you can tack weld, rivet, jbweld, or otherwise get one of them to work. Sure worth a shot being that the endcaps or usfs stamped mufflers are so dang expensive.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/se...spark+arrestor
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Mine's a 1990, so maybe it's too old?

To be clear, I'm not trying to skirt the law. I want to be unquestionably compliant, and do as much as possible to reduce the risk of sparking a wildfire.

From what I've found on-line, the Forest Service stamp isn't necessarily required if the muffler passes a physical inspection. Being a used bike, I'm not 100% certain this muffler hasn't been modified. There's some sort of mod that's common with DR350's that involves removing some internal components.

Is there any sort of screen that I can weld or rivet into the muffler's exit that has a Forest Service stamp?
I took a Dr350 with a stock exhaust to Rampart for the Poker run and rode. I also was tested by the USFS before the the run and passed.

Relax.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Relax.
I had to move my mother into my house last year because of the Waldo fire, and had another forest fire come within five miles of my mountain property near Lake George, so yeah maybe I'm a little stressed out, and maybe I'm going a little overboard, but can you imagine the sweeping trail closures that would be implemented if a fire were found to have been started by a motorcycle? I'm not only trying to pass an inspection, I'm also trying to make sure I don't throw any sparks.

For anyone who may be interested, I found this FS memo http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/0...7/03511307.htm that details what the rangers are supposed to be looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Service
Whenever contact is made with an OHV, regardless of what type of machine is used, a spark arrester inspection should be made.

The words “USDA Forest Service Qualified,” “Spark Arrester,” or “Qualified” stamped on a piece of equipment does not guarantee that it is a tested and qualified arrester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop View Post
Cj,

Go here and look at some of the screens available. See if you can tack weld, rivet, jbweld, or otherwise get one of them to work. Sure worth a shot being that the endcaps or usfs stamped mufflers are so dang expensive.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/se...spark+arrestor
Thanks. Based on some pictures I've found, it looks like my muffler has been previously modified. Hopefully I can find some sort of simple add-on so I don't have to replace the whole thing.

_CJ screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 07:46 AM
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 136
I know of a fire started by people that pulled over to take pics and parked in tall 'cheat grass' with fatal results..
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by no2tracks View Post
Has there ever been a proven case of a fire started by embers from an exhaust off a motorcycle? Off a train exhaust, yes. Off the chains of chainsaws, yes. But off a motorcycle?
I thought there was one somewhere in CO last year that was said to come from an ATV exhaust. *If* that's true, then a moto is plausible.

Personally, why take even take the chance?

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Crenshaw
Bum

Oddometer: 109
Here is the tail end of my dr350 muffler. My bike is a '90 also, but it came with an aftermarket pipe which I replaced with this stock one. So no idea what year the muffler us from...

Crenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote