User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #31
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,835
You certainly suffer alot less emotional pain when you lose a Japanese bike,

I'm sticking with BMW though they just make me feel alot better.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #32
lithous OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Update

So the dealer calls today with an update from BMW. According to the service department BMW told them they could not identify the bearing so they cannot say if the bearing belongs to the bike.

Now do i have them open it up at the cost of 1700+ to see if it belongs to it or ride as is.

On a side note I'm not to impressed with the service department or sales.
lithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #33
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithous View Post
So the dealer calls today with an update from BMW. According to the service department BMW told them they could not identify the bearing so they cannot say if the bearing belongs to the bike.

Now do i have them open it up at the cost of 1700+ to see if it belongs to it or ride as is.

I was only joking earlier when I said someone might have put them in there as a joke.

You have documented it with BMW so you are covered if it is something from the motor. That doesn't mean they won't hassel you. I would ride it rather than spend that kind of money on a chance there is something else in there.

Make sure you have a magnetic drain plug and check it often. Also get one of those magnets on a stick for picking up parts. Stick it down in the crankcase when you check the drain plug. (You can lean the bike over so you don't lose all your oil) Check out your oil filter when you change. Hopefully you can pick up any pieces before they do any damage. Any other pieces you pick up may add to the puzzel so they can figure out if it is something from the bike.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #34
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
See post 29 in this thread and find another dealer!! http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...-Sump?p=652059
GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #35
lithous OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
See post 29 in this thread and find another dealer!! http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...-Sump?p=652059
GH
Awesome thank you! Let me know if you ever make it through AZ I have the first few rounds.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #36
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Awesome thank you! Let me know if you ever make it through AZ I have the first few rounds.
Sidebar:
What part of AZ are you in?
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #37
lithous OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
Sidebar:
What part of AZ are you in?
Phoenix area
Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #38
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:

Personally, I would not ride the bike. I had a ninja 1000 that threw a rod on me, a suzuki GS1100 that broke a chain on me and a yamaha xs650 that blew either a rod and then the tranny or vice versa.....in all 3 instances my back wheel locked up completely. The yamaha did me on the interstate 5 seconds after I got into the left lane to pass a car - that was truly a near death experience trying to not fall into the path of 80mph highway traffic as I was fish tailing all over the road. The GS1100 was at about 45mph literally as I was slowing to stop into the honda dealer ...they all thought I was some dickhead showing off until I took my helmet off and my eyes were pie plates......

Anyway, I share that with you because IF it is a bearing which can either be a rotational part which will seize (doubtful since as has been pointed out the bearings look too small) or if its just the source of the shrapnel which jams up and seizes your transmission - It. Is. Not. Funny.

I would put the bike in as a possible warranty claim simply because its not a joke, and frankly if I were the Dealer I wouldn't allow you to just ride off into the sunset with Best Wishes - you've asked their professional opinion of the situation and potentially that could be a major liability issue for them if something happens.

I may be over reacting, but that's because I've been there 3 times and I'm truly scared of that happening again.

Ymmv.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #39
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Wink

Quote:
I said the same thing in post #18 but nobody listened to me! GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote