User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,251
Attack Ads SUCK!

So incensed by the childishness of it (latest attack ad directed at Trudeau) I fired off a letter to the PM telling him I as a Canadian expect more for our gov't. Naive? Yeah probably. I'm about as non-political non-partisian as one can get (probably like many Canadians) so I am not motivated by any allegiance to any party, I just expect some professionalism, some maturity and decorum. Consider pulling some sort of attack campaign in your workplace and see how that plays out. Consider how this sort of message translates to school yards. Consider that out of one side of their mouth the gov't decries the behaviour and bullying that leads to our children committing suicide yet out of the other side of their mouth sets the example for bullies and others to emulate.

I expect more.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 850
Agreed. Don't tell me why the other guy sucks/is dishonest/unpatriotic/crooked, tell me why you're not.

I very rarely hear commercials that say something like "DON'T BUY CREST, ONE OF THE GUYS WHO WORKED THERE BACK IN 1958 WAS A CAR THIEF!!!!" It's completely irrelevant and has no place in a commercial - but it's okay to do that kind of crap in political ads. I can't figure that out... what's more, I can't figure out why so many people just look at the TV and say "You know what, you're right! (insert politician name here) WAS a child back when he was young, that DOES make him unfit to be Prime Minister!"

SoSlow screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 07:17 PM
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
wescnmbkr1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
CanadianX;SoSlo

You don't have to be a Canadian to feel the way you do !!!!
wescnmbkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post

"DON'T BUY CREST, ONE OF THE GUYS WHO WORKED THERE BACK IN 1958 WAS A CAR THIEF!!!!"
And that's exactly why I buy Colgate
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
chevmekanik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Did you think when you posted this that it could be taken as an attack thread, kinda hypocritical?
chevmekanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,344
They do them because they work. Sad, ain't it?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 929
agree

I agree that why do they need to attack someone and say they are bad. I see them as the asshat vs the ones they say are big poop heads . I vote the way I feel and would not vote for party's that feel the need to smear others. But on that point the late Jack Layton did not feel he need to do this during his campaigns. I could be wrong and someone could point this out , I am not pro NDP so smash away.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmekanik View Post
Did you think when you posted this that it could be taken as an attack thread, kinda hypocritical?
I don't think so. Nothing personal in what I am saying. I don't like a certain behaviour and expect a different behaviour. Not calling them out and suggesting they don't have any credibility or intelligence and lack the ability to be a politician and to represent citizens.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I agree that why do they need to attack someone and say they are bad. I see them as the asshat vs the ones they say are big poop heads . I vote the way I feel and would not vote for party's that feel the need to smear others. But on that point the late Jack Layton did not feel he need to do this during his campaigns. I could be wrong and someone could point this out , I am not pro NDP so smash away.
I think Jack Layton and Joe Clark were probably pretty good examples of professionals. Think whatever about their politics or politics in general but I (when I was paying attention) always thought that the way they conducted themselves elevated the discussion to focus on issues vs individuals.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
They do them because they work. Sad, ain't it?
Yup. I guess it says as much about us as them. We love reality TV and manufactured drama, crude humour that once shocked our sensibilities is now mainstream and expected. I guess the question is do we want to be entertained or do we want to have our interests protected an collective will and values translated into unifying actions and policies that represent us to the rest of the world.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
unfortunately it is us who accepts these ad's. I agree it is bulling the other party and hoping to discredit them. What would we think if the ad said "congratulations" it will be a "challenge" we will see who leads the country better... for the people... But it is not about the people... it is about them and the big money corporations...

I'd prefer to see who can do the job better than watching to see who can discredit better.

So why do we accept battering between them and never really see the issues that the country has. It is just a big smoke cloud to keep us talking about BS while they are doing something unethical. IN MY OPINION!

I really believe the language issue is the longest running smoke cloud... The problem for us is to figure out the difference between the cloud , the truth, and the mis truths.... all we want is a good quality of life in whatever language our family brought us up in....

any mis truth should be dealt with harshly.......... quickly. It would be good to see words like traitor, bullying, illegal,, watching politician locked up in handcuffs for breaking the law.

for the people...

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 06:09 AM
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
IMHO, it shows us they are really scared they will lose to him and are desperate to get the smeer campain off to an early start.
I hate politicians as a whole, they are all lying thieves imho, and do not vote because of this....but, I will change my tune for the next election and vote out Harper.....I just hate the way he looks like he's always laughing at us when he looks into the camera. Yes very childish and my vote should be for the better person, but too bad...I hate the look of him.....lol.

I really think that all of the old folks who loved Trudeau will vote for his son just out of pride for his dad. They have been waiting for a good man to fill his boots I bet. I think he will have to scew up in a big way not to get in. And yes that too is a shallow reason to vote in someone, just because who their father was.....but I bet....you just watch and see.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
who was it the other day saying kids need to behave (remember Reteah Parsons suicide) and stop bullying? Big Harper...then what does he do? Run bully ads against the opposition partys....what the hell just happened there?!?
anybody getting this?
do ppl see the conection?
what do kids do when adults in there lives and leader of their country teach them to bully and harass????

if some one can explain to me...........
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
Oldrookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Thumbs down Just Passing

and I stumbled across this thread. I'm a little slow this morning, so I have to ask: What does this have to do with riding?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post

I expect more.
I don't.
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.iboxcabinets.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote