Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #31
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
You don't actually think it's the guy at the top who makes all the decissions do you? He is there just to be a puppet for the people who are really in charge.

Someone is operating the hand up his arse!!!

shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #32
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
No....That is Margret Thatcher!!!!!.....lol.

She put me and 1/3 of england out of work almost overnight when she was in power.....I'm in the we HATE Thatcher camp....sorry.....
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #33
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
I don't have a problem with them they actually show short comings of candidates rather than pumping sunshine up our asses with vague undeliverable promises. Having the target of the ads whining about their existence is an easier defense mechanism than adressing the issues and facts.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #34
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrookie View Post
and I stumbled across this thread. I'm a little slow this morning, so I have to ask: What does this have to do with riding?
Nothing, but it has something to do with Canada.

PG007
Old 04-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #35
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
No....That is Margret Thatcher!!!!!.....lol.

She put me and 1/3 of england out of work almost overnight when she was in power.....I'm in the we HATE Thatcher camp....sorry.....
Why do you feel the need to apologize?

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
If you want to see just how annoyingly far a site can stray from the moto scene, just check WildGuzzi.
Naw, let's not go there.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #37
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Why do you feel the need to apologize?
Just in case someone has issues with the comment and forces a simple threrad down to the basement....augh!

I could get banned in a heartbeat if I start going on about thatcher!

The only good thing she did was force me to return to Canada because there was no work in England for anyone! Otherwise I would still be there in amongst all those unwashed.....lol....
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #38
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I generally don't watch commercials so I have one question about the "attack" ads:

Is what is being said true?

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #39
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
I generally don't watch commercials so I have one question about the "attack" ads:

Is what is being said true?

..Tom

In this case 100% as far as I can tell, they don't want to address the content though so whining about the ad and misdirecting people's attention is far easier.

PG007
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #40
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 553
You really have a simple choice at voting time:

Which liar, fraud artist or thief do you like the looks of best?

No matter which you choose you can be assured that they will tax you more and enrich themselves and their friends........so smile, lay back and enjoy the ride!

There you can even see the connection to motorcycling....enjoy the ride!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #41
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
In this case 100% as far as I can tell, they don't want to address the content though so whining about the ad and misdirecting people's attention is far easier.
No one is whining about the ad or it's content. I am suggesting it is petty of it and that as an approach to politics it is beneath what I want from my elected officials. It lowers the discourse of the entire political process and does not represent Canada or Canadians. The race to get re-elected overshadows the requirement to take care of serious business when in office. The discussion is rarely about the issues it's about the people. As far as the ads suggesting Trudeau doesn't have what it takes well they might well suggest I don't have what it takes to go into politics, which I take exception to as I don't think a politician has any special talents that make them better suited to do the job.

What are the pre-requisites to entering politics in Canada? You don't need a degree, don't need to have a clean criminal record, don't need to be a land owner...I think really the pre-requisites are the support of enough voters and so to slag Trudeau in the way the ads do is to slag a lot of people who decided he was good enough to represent them.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #42
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 448
Dudes, your over thinking this........He's nowhere near ready for "the big time" yet...
Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #43
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,878
Seems that the ads are having an interesting effect: The Libs set a record for campaign contributions because of them.

And:

Quote:
Trudeau has vowed to remain positive and not to respond in kind to negative attacks, of which he believes Canadians are heartily fed up.
Yup.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04...anada+Politics

I dunno if he'll make a decent PM, but I like that he's not gonna play the game the same.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #44
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
No one is whining about the ad or it's content. I am suggesting it is petty of it and that as an approach to politics it is beneath what I want from my elected officials. It lowers the discourse of the entire political process and does not represent Canada or Canadians. The race to get re-elected overshadows the requirement to take care of serious business when in office. The discussion is rarely about the issues it's about the people. As far as the ads suggesting Trudeau doesn't have what it takes well they might well suggest I don't have what it takes to go into politics, which I take exception to as I don't think a politician has any special talents that make them better suited to do the job.

What are the pre-requisites to entering politics in Canada? You don't need a degree, don't need to have a clean criminal record, don't need to be a land owner...I think really the pre-requisites are the support of enough voters and so to slag Trudeau in the way the ads do is to slag a lot of people who decided he was good enough to represent them.

Call it what you will no one is addressing the content they're addressing the tone it's a deflection and that was my point. I for one see value in them as opposed to the vague undeliverable unrealistic campaign promises we're constantly fed, and they're never held accountable for.

PG007
Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #45
CanadianX OP
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,383
I see them as a tool to deflect attention from real issues, find them insulting to the intelligence of Canadians, embarrassing as a representation of level of political discourse in this country and irrelevant unless there is some hidden secret that impinges the ability or credibility of the individual that we as potential voters need to know. That Trudeau was a camp councillor or is the beneficiary of a trust fund or that he is a snappy dresser means nothing to me. It adds no value to measuring the man's political acumen. All these ads attempt to do, besides offer entertaining low brow drama and distraction, is make us believe that they are somehow relevant and somehow distasteful, that this sort of benign background is somehow less and is contemptible. The very tactic of bullies of all age groups employ to lessen other in the hope to improve their standing.

Again my two cent opinion. Good discussion all.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote