User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #46
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Pissed Cat hanging around

Twice for me , first When I started riding a KLR to work and was using a stormrider jean jacket for gear took some kind of medium bird off the shoulder. big enough impact to make me research proper riding gear but none the worse for wear. second time I thought I saw something but figured it was a near miss. Then the kids came in and said the neihbors cat was hanging around my KLR, I hate cats so went to check he wasn't clawing up my seat. found feathers and blood and guts all over my front rim and spokes, probably worse before the cat started licking it clean! Didn't feel a thing, likely vaporized in a micro second. Them KLR's rip!! I'll be pissed if I hit one with my Tiger and mess up my pretty bike!
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #47
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_White View Post
Buzzard, yep was a pretty good sized one!
I've had to duck under a couple of those. Congratulations on your survival.
jnclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #48
jnclem
True Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant View Post
Fair point and one I originally assumed myself. However, there have been instances in that area of buzzards dive-bombing cyclists and their behaviour is more of a flapping attack from the front designed to drive the person away. In this case, the flight path was from behind me and the talon strike to the skull similar to the sort of thing you see in film of sea eagles catching fish - ie. a very hard downward blow hard enough to stun prey. FWIW, at the time my hair colouring was very close to that of a rabbit... In any case, it hurt.
Two things: if you are going around calling yourself "The Pheasant," you have to expect birds of prey to attack you:)

Second, in your part of the world, is what you call a buzzard or vulture actually a bird of prey? I know in some areas the terms eagle, buzzard, vulture, are used for different birds. Our vultures pretty much stick to carcasses, they don't hunt.

I could see them thinking that I was some dead critter, riding my old airhead at less than warp speed, but I am surprised at them trying to take your average motorcyclist for dinner. You have to give them credit for a stunt like that!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #49
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
Two things: if you are going around calling yourself "The Pheasant," you have to expect birds of prey to attack you:)
Good call...

Quote:
Second, in your part of the world, is what you call a buzzard or vulture actually a bird of prey? I know in some areas the terms eagle, buzzard, vulture, are used for different birds. Our vultures pretty much stick to carcasses, they don't hunt.
The European buzzard is about 1.5 - 2kg and one of the most common birds of prey in the UK. It mostly takes rabbits and some carrion.

Quote:

I could see them thinking that I was some dead critter, riding my old airhead at less than warp speed, but I am surprised at them trying to take your average motorcyclist for dinner. You have to give them credit for a stunt like that!
Should say I was cycling at the time - bare-headed. Cue helmet prompts...
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #50
yellow 1150GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Beginning to wonder?

I am not sure what is going on but I have had more bird strikes and near misses in the last two years than the 40 years before that combined. Recently had a large bird hit the gap between the windshield and instrument housing on my GS at about 75 mph and go through that small gap. Bird exploded and covered me with blood and feathers. Have found a total of 6 birds lodged in the engine area under the tank (usually find them when they start to stink). Had one in the airbox wrapped around the filter in pieces (found that one by smell) and have nearly been hit by a snake carrying turkey buzzard (nearly lost my wife off the back with that one as the buzzard was trying to gain altitude and swinging the snake back and forth between my wife and I on his way airborne). Couple of weeks ago I slowed down for a line of turkeys crossing the road and had the last one in line suddenly become airborne and fly directly into the side of my head. Hit me hard enough to see stars and my neck was sore for a week. Glad I wasn't moving much faster than a walk. Makes you a little gun-shy about or feathered friends.
yellow 1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #51
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,846
Birds strikes are the primary reason I want missiles on my bike. Well, air-to-air missiles for the birds. Ground-to-ground missiles for asshat drivers.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #52
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Birds strikes are the primary reason I want missiles on my bike. Well, air-to-air missiles for the birds. Ground-to-ground missiles for asshat drivers.
In which case you will profit from this equipment:
http://gizmodo.com/5995055/this-pred...t-vespa-badass

Note the very handy tri-laser scope.

I'd like to get the bracelets too.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #53
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
In which case you will profit from this equipment:
http://gizmodo.com/5995055/this-pred...t-vespa-badass

Note the very handy tri-laser scope.

I'd like to get the bracelets too.
Lasers!!! Even better.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #54
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,058
The last time I rode my XL before it broke down I was going about50-55mph and a bird nailed me right in the throat. sound like "SLAP!!" hurt so goddamn bad I was about to go the ER. I was on my way to work though so I didn't stop either Juss a lil bruising like a massive hickey. I was angry for a little bit since my neck is so damned skinny lol but now I'm just happy there's not a beak embedded in my adam's apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
The second time doing 60ish on some urban freeway I drove through a flock of low flying sparrows. Caught one in the throat (MY throat), it stuck for a second, then tumbled aside. I didn't stop.

RIDE RED!

RFVC600R screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 03:32 AM
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #55
jnclem
True Airhead

[QUOTE=The European buzzard is about 1.5 - 2kg and one of the most common birds of prey in the UK. It mostly takes rabbits and some carrion.

Should say I was cycling at the time - bare-headed. Cue helmet prompts...[/QUOTE]

I looked this guy up - yup, big bird! Much prettier than what we call a buzzard around here. Here is an interesting tid bit I found:

Food and hunting
Feeds mostly on small mammals like voles, shrews, European Moles Talpa europaea or young hares. Also takes reptiles and small birds. Also feeds on carrion including roadkills, AS WELL AS UNSUSPECTING BRITISH CYCLISTS.

Be careful out there.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #56
jnclem
True Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow 1150GS View Post
I am not sure what is going on but I have had more bird strikes and near misses in the last two years than the 40 years before that combined. Recently had a large bird hit the gap between the windshield and instrument housing on my GS at about 75 mph and go through that small gap. Bird exploded and covered me with blood and feathers. Have found a total of 6 birds lodged in the engine area under the tank (usually find them when they start to stink). Had one in the airbox wrapped around the filter in pieces (found that one by smell) and have nearly been hit by a snake carrying turkey buzzard (nearly lost my wife off the back with that one as the buzzard was trying to gain altitude and swinging the snake back and forth between my wife and I on his way airborne). Couple of weeks ago I slowed down for a line of turkeys crossing the road and had the last one in line suddenly become airborne and fly directly into the side of my head. Hit me hard enough to see stars and my neck was sore for a week. Glad I wasn't moving much faster than a walk. Makes you a little gun-shy about or feathered friends.
I've got to read this one to my wife. She's not a snake fan.

I love this thread. I just started riding last year, but very soon started thinking about the possibility of bird strikes. I have had several close calls already, but never been hit. Glad to see I'm not alone.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #57
xcountry41
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Gotta be aware!!

Don't want harsh anyone's mellow and a lot of these posts are comical but..
A couple of years ago during the annual fundraising drive for our local umbrella charity(united way) we had a guest speaker at work. He was a paraplegic that was starting to get mobile with some new technology and therapies. He explained that it was a Duck flying up out of the ditch that he hit causing him to lose control of his Harley long enough to hit a road sign, crash and change his life. He was an EMT at the time so when he found himself face down on the shoulder not able to move he knew it was not an average bird strike. Take care out there, It will always be in the back of my mind.
xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #58
handensco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
3 times

The first on my beemer at about 75 took it in the leg it was a small duck and I had a big bruise on the leg. The second on my duc and a sparrow came through from the guy ahead and into my shoulder. The third one was a direct hit in the head by a kamikaze bird. I saw stars and pulled over. The Miata behind me pulled over to ask if I was ok. I sat for an hour before I could get going again.
handensco
david
handensco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #59
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Hit a sparrow at triple digits on my Sprint. Hit just below my helmet. Barely felt the impact but got a face full of feathers. Gross. Several near misses with turkeys around here. Stupid things look about the same size as a C-130 when they're heading at you.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
engineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #60
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
South Texas has these rather large turkey buzzards up to 25+ pounds
Classmate in pilot training (Laredo AFB)
Took a buzzard in right side canopy T37
Solo thank goodness. Took the top of right side ejection seat off then out the back of canopy, what a mess
Don't fool with birds!
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote