User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
bobafet OP
Boba Fett

Oddometer: 124
New motorcycle theft technique

OK, I have never posted anything before, but this is worth letting everyone know about. I did a quick search to see it this has been happening and nothing came up so I am assuming itís new. If this is 205, my apologies. Also I likely have this posted in the wrong place so hopefully the mods will shift it to the proper spot for best viewing.
My daughter witnessed an on-road motorcycle theft today in Mobile. She came across a rider who flagged her down. When she stopped he told her to call the cops because two dudes had just run him off the road and were in the process of stealing his bike. Sure enough she looked and one of the guys was furiously trying to get the bike started. Just as soon as it fired he was off like a shot on the bike and the other dude was in the car and gone. The rider and some other guy (came up just after my daughter got there) tried to follow the stolen bike and she lost sight of them after the bike thief whipped a 180 and then took off away from the scene.
I have not heard of this before and I donít know if it is a local thing, but be on the lookout (as if we didnít already have enough to watch for with all the morons on the road) just in case. If you see a cager coming up alongside you quick, gas it and get out of there.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Too hard to read sorry. Black print on a dark grey background not a good idea.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,088
Probably best posted in Perfect Line.

Couldn't read the post...black letters on gray background.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
bscman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Couldn't read the post...black letters on gray background.
Highlight it with your curser.

Sounds like a carjacking to me...well, err...bikejacking.
Running someone off the road is just plain nuts. Hard to steal a bike that's been ridden into a guardrail and totalled.

Think about how vulnerable you are on a bike, stuck in traffic, waiting on a red (the keeps ignoring your existence). You get lazy, bike in neutral, stretching your back, cussing the cross-traffic.
bscman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscman View Post

Highlight it with your curser.

Too much trouble with these iSomethings.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafet View Post
OK, I have never posted anything before, but this is worth letting everyone know about. I did a quick search to see it this has been happening and nothing came up so I am assuming itís new. If this is 205, my apologies. Also I likely have this posted in the wrong place so hopefully the mods will shift it to the proper spot for best viewing.
My daughter witnessed an on-road motorcycle theft today in Mobile. She came across a rider who flagged her down. When she stopped he told her to call the cops because two dudes had just run him off the road and were in the process of stealing his bike. Sure enough she looked and one of the guys was furiously trying to get the bike started. Just as soon as it fired he was off like a shot on the bike and the other dude was in the car and gone. The rider and some other guy (came up just after my daughter got there) tried to follow the stolen bike and she lost sight of them after the bike thief whipped a 180 and then took off away from the scene.
I have not heard of this before and I donít know if it is a local thing, but be on the lookout (as if we didnít already have enough to watch for with all the morons on the road) just in case. If you see a cager coming up alongside you quick, gas it and get out of there.
Then how did you get 115 on your odo?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
spntshell
What! Where??!

Oddometer: 386
WOW that is messed up! Thanks I will be watching my close space frome here on out. What area did this happen in? Oh and by the way I could read it just fine, I guess the others are color blind, that does happen I have selective hearing or so my wife tells me.....
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafet View Post
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
I don't know that I'd call this "new," that's a carjacking--er, bikejacking. Clumsy one at that too.

Why not wait until the rider's at a stop sign/light and then nudge the tire? Then everyone dismounts for the "accident," oops--now it's a robbery! Non-wrecked bikes are mo' bett'a than wrecked ones, ya know?
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
bobafet OP
Boba Fett

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Then how did you get 115 on your odo?
OK, nothing original. Only comments to others posts.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
bobafet OP
Boba Fett

[QUOTE=spntshell;21195955] What area did this happen in?

It happened on McDonald Road. My daughter said the bike was in fairly good shape (from what she could tell) as it happened in one of the open areas where there is just jap grass off the side of the road. It all happened pretty quickly she said.

I changed the text to green for the visually challenged
Old 04-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Just another reason to exercise your second amendment and carry a gun.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
Just another reason to exercise your second amendment and carry a gun.
I bet they wouldn't have been succesful with the bike-jacking if this rider was packing.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,125
That sux, fooking idiot thieves. That's why I ride this:

Man, don't you wish? I'd go broke buying ammo, though. Sometimes I think it's time to thin the herd.

I KNOW this has been discussed on this forum - but where would you carry a pistol in your riding gear that would be accessible quickly enough to have prevented something like this happening? In a shoulder holster, so that the thieves could see it and say OH NO, this guy's armed, let's look for someone else to rob! Seriously, I don't think being armed (short of hard-mounted machine guns) is a workable solution, you just couldn't get to it fast enough. Then, of course, there's always the chance that the ferking thieves are armed as well, a shoot-out happens, and you get kilt instead of just losing your bike. Just sayin...

Doug
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
This is so weird...

I'm planning a solo 6K miles trip this summer and my dad told me last weekend that he's worried that someone might "hit me on my head while riding and steal my bike or something similar and/or worse"
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote