Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Man, don't you wish? I'd go broke buying ammo, though. Sometimes I think it's time to thin the herd.

I KNOW this has been discussed on this forum - but where would you carry a pistol in your riding gear that would be accessible quickly enough to have prevented something like this happening? In a shoulder holster, so that the thieves could see it and say OH NO, this guy's armed, let's look for someone else to rob! Seriously, I don't think being armed (short of hard-mounted machine guns) is a workable solution, you just couldn't get to it fast enough. Then, of course, there's always the chance that the ferking thieves are armed as well, a shoot-out happens, and you get kilt instead of just losing your bike. Just sayin...

Doug
'Sounds like a good opportunity for a new product to come up with.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
KLR tank vest with a MOLLE holster attached to it would be a good option, or a drop leg holster similar to what us Army type guys used when I was in or you could ride a KLR, not much of a theft market what with that high dollar milk crate top box I have
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
Just another reason to exercise your second amendment and carry a gun.
That's my *second* line of defense. My first line of defense is riding a dual sport! I'll take any excuse to hit the dirt... even if it's some would-be bike-jacker. Ammo is just getting too expensive for me to want to waste it on some dirtbag thief... unless I feared for my life, of course. In that case, they'd be found dying of acute lead poisoning.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
[QUOTE
I KNOW this has been discussed on this forum - but where would you carry a pistol in your riding gear that would be accessible quickly enough to have prevented something like this happening? In a shoulder holster, so that the thieves could see it and say OH NO, this guy's armed, let's look for someone else to rob! Seriously, I don't think being armed (short of hard-mounted machine guns) is a workable solution, you just couldn't get to it fast enough. Then, of course, there's always the chance that the ferking thieves are armed as well, a shoot-out happens, and you get kilt instead of just losing your bike. Just sayin...

Doug[/QUOTE]
Doug,
Quit trying to be realistic.
After they knock me off my bike and while I am rolling in the dirt, I pull my pistol out of my holster and start blasting away. I double tap them outlaws and justice is served. Then me and Tonto ride off in the sunset just like in the movies.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
I KNOW this has been discussed on this forum - but where would you carry a pistol in your riding gear that would be accessible quickly enough to have prevented something like this happening?
Jackets with "hat pockets" are very nice, if you have the right gun. If you're carrying a brick, then forget it.

I would assume the guy got run off the road, stopped (or crashed) and THEN the thugs approached. Anyone who carries should be able to get at their weapon in a situation like that. I would think the act of running you off the road would fit the description "aggrivated" and taking your bike would be "robbery" so in many states, that's "aggrivated robbery". Again, in many states deadly force can be used to stop such a crime, even if you're not actually "fearing for your life". YMMV
Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:

Doug
If you re-read the OP, it sounds like the victim still had plenty of time to defend their person and property. The thieves were still in the process of trying to get the bike re-started, and the victim was trying to flag people down. It's also a good reason to carry when not riding too...assist another rider that is being jacked, and effect an arrest until the LE authorities arrive. One doesn't necessarily always have to be Quickdraw McGraw to be effective, and one doesn't have to only use their CCW to defend just themselves or their own property. One can assist others, in most places that have CCW. Check your local laws regarding CCW, use of force, effecting an arrest, etc.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
Quote:
That sux, fooking idiot thieves. That's why I ride this:

Man, don't you wish?
Riding a bike no one wants?

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works for him.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
ColonelDibsies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Frankly I'm not sure I'd be willing to end the life of another human being, regardless of how much of a scumbag he is. A bike is just stuff, and stuff can be replaced.
ColonelDibsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelDibsies View Post
Frankly I'm not sure I'd be willing to end the life of another human being, regardless of how much of a scumbag he is. A bike is just stuff, and stuff can be replaced.
...but the time out of your life spent EARNING it can never be gotten back. Letting predatory criminals run all over others also encourages them to continue running all over others, and often escalate their escapades as repeated success emboldens them. What kind of society do you want to live in? I'd rather live in one where the predatory citizens conduct their affairs in fear, and the law-abiding citizens do not. The police can only do so much, and they have no legal or civil obligation to do anything anyway. Many predators know this.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
BeMeUp
neverlost

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelDibsies View Post
No offence intended to you Colonel, but this is one of the reasons these scumbags are willing to come and take other people's (good innocent people such as yourself) stuff.
I on the other hand, think of it somewhat like riding a motorcyle. I risk my life everytime I throw a leg over the seat, and I believe it's worth the risk. Likewise I assume that the scumbag that attemts to,"forcefully", take my stuff, has properly weighed the consiquences of his actions, and decided that having my stuff, is worth risking his life to get it. So if in the process of deffending my self/stuff, some scumbag loses his life .......I'll still sleep well

PS. Kommando is a faster typer than I.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I would not shoot anyone over a motorcycle, and that is not practical anyways if you have just been involved in a crash, most times you would not be in any shape to shoot, or possibly even know what is going on.

But some here are missing the point. Deliberately running a biker off the road in order to make him crash is attempted murder, that should carry a life sentence. There is also the issue of self defense, if a guy just deliberately tried to kill you, the issue is much more than just having your motorcycle stolen.

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #27
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
What about using one of those cable kill switches, like on jet skis and treadmills? Walk away from the bike with the plug hanging off your jacket and the thugs can't start it.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #28
Rakthi
mopetista

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookmark View Post
What about using one of those cable kill switches, like on jet skis and treadmills? Walk away from the bike with the plug hanging off your jacket and the thugs can't start it.
They will just beat you up and take the plug.

There are remote systems out there that allow the thief to ride the bike or drive the car for about half a mile before the vehicle goes into alarm and stops.

They are not that expensive anymore either. The nice thing about it is that they stall too far away to make it worth their while to come running back to you for the little transmitter ...

Used to have one in my 4x4 when I lived in a border area in Europe. Couldn't get insurance without it. Forgot the bloody name of it. Transmitter was half the size of a credit card. So easy to carry. Of course if you are so stupid as to hang the transmitter on your keychain ...
Rakthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #29
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
I always watch my surroundings while on the move,or stopped. I have two kids to live for and I do not want to have my family here the phrase "but I didn't see him".
I love riding, but in this age of multi-tasking, and "I want what he has", caution is the best defense.
I used to relax at a stop light after the 1st car stopped behind me, not anymore. A guy I ride with lost a close friend last year when at a busy intersection he relaxed after the 1st car stopped behind him. He did not see the person in the truck texting coming down the hill behind him, who then slammed into the car, pushing the car into the bike and the bike being pushed in front of a semi at speed.
I now wait for several cars to stop behind me before I take my eyes off mirrors.
Cagers may not be out to get us, but sometimes it feels like they are.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #30
JRose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
That sux, fooking idiot thieves. That's why I ride this:

Man, don't you wish? I'd go broke buying ammo, though. Sometimes I think it's time to thin the herd.

Doug
BlackHawk Serpa holster is easy to carry open holster on a bike.

Attached to a tank bag, etc. lots of options.

I carry all the time now. People can look at me like a kook all they want, I had an experience once where myself and my daughter were in danger. That solidified my decision.

The Serpa holster is very versatile. I keep one zip tied to my bicycle as well, because people are ridiculously hostile toward cyclists, and I will not be crashed by another redneck's dog.

I'd rather take my chances with a shoot out than just be a helpless victim at the mercy of whatever the aggressor feels like doing to me.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote