User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
AkBrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,806
Looking for better V-Strom footpegs

Anybody like to recommend footpegs for a '05 DL650. I find the stock ones slick as snot when wet and muddy. I'd really like to find some nice big cleated ones with rubber isolated mounts. Any suggestions?
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,651
oberon engineering

front pegs from dl100 are same as 6fiddy....rears are not.

http://www.oem-uk.com/shop/acatalog/index.html

service is great and prices are reasonable. i set of mounts can be used for any of the peg types
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
I put some Fastways on my DL1000 and they were brilliant. They don't have a rubber insert for road use but I imagine something could be made up fairly easily if you felt it necessary.

The system is pretty clever in that the pegs are generic, able to be adapted to numerous different models by way of a tapered collar and adjustable camber bolt. The pair I ordered came with a collar designed to fit an XR50/80/100. In order to get the collar to fit the V-Strom I took it to the local engineering workshop and got them to machine 2mm off the ends. The inside diameter of the collar is a great match for the V-Strom's standard pins (although you will need to replace your existing pins if they aren't perfectly straight).

From there it was just a matter of following the instructions in order to get them mounted. The only drawback is that the camber bolt (adjusted by way of different size shims) doesn't contact the frame completely, but the footing is still very solid. The fit is surprisingly good for something designed for an XR50.

These pegs offer an amazing amount of grip when sitting and the difference when standing on the pegs is incredible. Not only is traction improved but the extra width gives a lot more confidence and comfort when up on the pegs.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
funkydrum
Started 2-Smoking Again..

Oddometer: 373
I also need to do this.

The Fastway's look great! I really like my IMS SS Pro-pegs on my DRZ and wondered if there was a model of their's that I could make work ??

Touratech make some (that are currently sold-out) that look 'OK' but not great....
Old 07-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
AkBrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,806
Thanks for the info. I'm really surprised that IMS and Fastway don't put the DL in their applications list.
-AkBrian
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I used the Fastways on my DL1000 but you do have to grind about 1 MM off the collar to fit. I also have a DL650 that I used the touratech pegs. They are pretty nice to and angle out a little which makes standing up on the pegs a little easier. The fastways look better and function very well too. Both are about the same cost. Both are better than the stockers IMHO.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,198
fast ways look like the ticket, how is foot clearance?

verle nelson says klr pegs ( oversize) fit fine
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/VStrom1.html#Footpegs
Old 07-19-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,198
holy shit, size freakin 43, aint that Shack size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
I have no problem with foot clearance with the Fastways. I wear a size 43 and didn't have to do any adjustments to the shifter at all.
Wow, what a difference especially when you need to stand up.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,538
so, JKAM or somebody: did I read above right that one type of Fastways requires grinding to fit but another doesn't? if someone could throw out a part num I would be much appreciative.....

Z [size 47]
Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

i have a grinding wheel

gracias
Old 07-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
At first I was relunctant to buy the fastways due to not an exact fit for the V-Strom. I called them and was told it wasn't a big deal to grind the collar a little. I don't have a grinding wheel, but I used a dremel tool with a metal grinding tool which worked OK. Not too much has to come off the collar to make them fit. The touratechs will fit without grinding, and they are pretty good also. They don't look quite as nice as the fastways but I do like the slight backward angle that they have. Hope that helps.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
jimjib
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
asdf

I was going to get some pegs but as a temparary measure, I just removed the rubber and worked on them with a file. It works well enough that I stoped looking for an aftermarket set.

jimjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:57 AM   #13
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

in some old notes I have, i see where a few guys recommended the IMS heavy duty footpegs, saying ones for XR650R will fit. I can't find all this, but it seems there are a couple of types with either sharp or rounded/flat cleats.
From a good source they run about $80 and are wider, though a bit shorter, than the DL650 stockers. I did some measuring in the garage [have both bikes] and it looks like a perfect match. if I'm off a tad, it would be the dimension from the center of the pivot pin to the inner edge of the peg, allowing clearance for easy foldup on a getoff... maybe a fingernail's width tight right there

JK or other... is the Fastway peg as long as the stocker ?
Z
Old 08-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
I installed the IMS pro series footpegs.

Part # 293116-4

XR50/KLR pegs.

Fits fine and pegs are slightly angled in.

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
WestRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Saw this one yesterday...

Well...I'm planning for the Fastways too but I noticed this on http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/fas..._pegs.htm#FW_F and they list the F3-603 as fitting the GS and Vstrom. I had also heard that the -403 were the correct fit - with minor adustment - for the Strom. Wonder what the difference between the 403 and 603 is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
The ones that fit the v strom need to have the collars ground down a couple of mm's to fit inside the bracket on the strom. Fastway doesn't have a set that fit the strom without modification.
I got the same ones Burren did, they are listed for the Honda XR 50 and some others.
Evolution II F3. Part # Moto-2-403
2005 TW200...wife's bike
1977 CT90...an original adventure bike
WestRider is offline   Reply With Quote