User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Stromdog OP
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Highway pegs for Stroms

Received a question about my highway pegs after I posted up a picture of my DL 1000 on the "let's see your Strom", thread. I have an Amotostuff skidplate. I bought a set of highway pegs from JC Whitney and modified them to fit with the skid plate. You'll be able to see the pegs I used in the pics.

I did have to drill a couple of holes in the skid plate to get them to work. I used the highway pegs mount to lay out the holes.

The highway pegs come with caps that are used to secure them to crash bars. I threw the caps away and just used half of the peg mount.

Due to the angle of the skid plate, the pegs would not locate in a comfortable position. I drilled and tapped (10-24), the square bar of the foot peg so that I could turn in a round head machine screw with washer stack for fine tuning the angle of the peg. Once I got the peg angle where I wanted it, I used Loctite on the screw threads so that everything stays in place.

Yoou can see the angle required to get the foot peg level when it's in the down position.

Through bolting the modified peg to the skid plate.

View from the top in the deployed position.

Stromdog screwed with this post 08-26-2007 at 09:46 PM
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Stromdog OP
Howl at the Moon

More highway peg pics

And a photo in the folded position.

Pics of bike with pegs.

They work great! I'm going to bolt a 1" thick, aluminum riser of the top of the pegs, it's just a little too much of a stretch to get my feet on them comfortably. I'm 5' 10", with a 29" inseam. The pegs are able to be rotated in the mount, so adding a 1" thick spacer to the top surface of the pegs will get them just about perfect for me. For those with 30" or longer inseams, these should fit perfectly.

Pretty inexpensive mod as the JC Whitney pegs cost around 25 or 30 bucks. Trying to stand on these pegs could bend your skidplate. They work well, but have a little "give", as the skidplate flexes a bit when you put your feet on them. No problem using them as intended, though.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 AM   #3
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,211
That is a slick setup.

Looks just about perfect for me. Maybe now I'll have to toss the original bellypan and look into getting a skidplate.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
GreatWhiteHunter
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 340
ok, now the rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog
And a photo in the folded position.

Very nice mod, can you now show us some close ups of your "license plate bracket" and "tank bag"?
* 2010 Ski-Doo MXZ 600 X-RS
GreatWhiteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Jccc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Battlewings?

How do you like the Battlewings?
Jccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
Stromdog OP
Howl at the Moon

GWH, Thanks. I'll post up a new thread in "Beasts", on the rear fender Pelican case, when I get time. The tank case is just a quick disconnect set up I bought from Twisted Throttle. Goes on and off the tank with no hassles. Totally waterproof, too. It doesn't hold alot of stuff, but I've got plenty of room elsewhere in the bike for storage. I just keep my sunglasses, pens, note paper, compass, maps, small digital camera, Japanese sword, etc. in it. I bought a waterproof map pocket from a local outfitter and put some Velcro on the map case and the top of the Pelican and stick my map on the top. Works pretty well. I have a total of 5 Pelican cases on my bike. I might be able to bolt a couple more to either side of the top case....

I know, I know. I'm obsessed.

Stromdog screwed with this post 08-27-2007 at 09:00 AM
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Stromdog OP
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccc
How do you like the Battlewings?
I've only got 3,400 mi. on them, but alot of those were riding the twisties in West Virginia, Virginia and Western NC. The rest slabbing it to and from FL, and city errand running. Don't know how long they'll last, but they have a load of tread left on them. I'm hoping to get 10K out of the rear. The front will probably go 18K, easy. They stick great rain or shine. Turn in is nice; predictable and light. Neutral steering feel. Act great under hard braking. Very smooth and quiet at 80-90 mph cruising speeds. Like all 90-10 tires, they aren't that great except for smoother gravel roads. They aren't knobbies! I got down some pretty rough trails with them, but the bike is a heavy pig and had to be ridden conservatively considering the full camping/touring load I was carrying. They bite about like the Trailwings do off pavement.

I'll probably stay with them as I like their street manners. If I was going to run alot of gravel and single track or mud, etc., I'd go with TKC 80's.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
cheff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog
GWH, Thanks. I'll post up a new thread in "Beasts", on the rear fender Pelican case, when I get time. The tank case is just a quick disconnect set up I bought from Twisted Throttle. Goes on and off the tank with no hassles. Totally waterproof, too. It doesn't hold alot of stuff, but I've got plenty of room elsewhere in the bike for storage. I just keep my sunglasses, pens, note paper, compass, maps, small digital camera, Japanese sword, etc. in it. I bought a waterproof map pocket from a local outfitter and put some Velcro on the map case and the top of the Pelican and stick my map on the top. Works pretty well. I have a total of 5 Pelican cases on my bike. I might be able to bolt a couple more to either side of the top case....

I know, I know. I'm obsessed.
WOW I love your setup. How did you attach the trunk to the fender?
'04 XR650 Sold 30K miles
cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Stromdog OP
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheff
WOW I love your setup. How did you attach the trunk to the fender?
cheff, I'm posting up a little report w/ a few photos on a new thread in Beasts. Kind of surprised no one asked me about the cool Givi rack mounted to the top case. I think that's the cat's butt.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,467
Nice bike! When are you going to get it dirty?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
motogearhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
SD

Thanks for the info on the peg mounting! Nice clean application...I like it!

By the way, you got a pelican mounted on your helmet too? Whoh!!!!...idea...put a couple of pelicans on your fairings...Pictures of the birds...not more contrainers!
Seriously! MGH
motogearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
Stromdog OP
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogearhead
SD

Thanks for the info on the peg mounting! Nice clean application...I like it!

By the way, you got a pelican mounted on your helmet too? Whoh!!!!...idea...put a couple of pelicans on your fairings...Pictures of the birds...not more contrainers!
Seriously! MGH
Puleeeze, don't give me any more ideas! I'm starting to eyeball my mountain bike.....Hmmmmm