User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,368
Build your own mutant beast?

After reading about the guy who had a 919 and made it into a mutant. I think it would be awesome to do this as well.

Im not really happy with the current adv bikes out there.
The closest bike id get is the tiger. Love the smoothness of the engine, and super reliability.

But what if you could take a 919 bike, stuff some wheels in there from an africa twin? Now that would be a great little bike. perhaps get a gas tank. It might not be pretty, but it's kind of nice building your own bike.

Some ideas would be to do the same on a fz1, with some longer suspesnion, and different wheel sizes could you do this? What wheels would fit?

Honda blackbird motor.. Too much? Never too much.

Maybe im just dreaming.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
Maybe im just dreaming.
Thin Strom 1000 with dr forks
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
After reading about the guy who had a 919 and made it into a mutant. I think it would be awesome to do this as well.

Im not really happy with the current adv bikes out there.
The closest bike id get is the tiger. Love the smoothness of the engine, and super reliability.

But what if you could take a 919 bike, stuff some wheels in there from an africa twin? Now that would be a great little bike. perhaps get a gas tank. It might not be pretty, but it's kind of nice building your own bike.

Some ideas would be to do the same on a fz1, with some longer suspesnion, and different wheel sizes could you do this? What wheels would fit?

Honda blackbird motor.. Too much? Never too much.

Maybe im just dreaming.
The bird actually looks really good naked (everything is powdercoated black) so the big thing is to find/fab a real suspension for the bike. lower the pegs, raise the bars (VFR ones work great) and PM me so I can reserve the 2nd creation

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
Did this sort of with a R80 G/S. Worthy experiment. Great bike, sorry I sold it.
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,192
I thought about it last year, but ultimately decided against it because I wanted an ADV bike I could enjoy right away, instead of waiting to design, engineer, fab, test, fix, re-fab, test, fix, re-fab... ad nauseam.

And thanks to Jamboa, I picked up my super-clean two-year-old Tiger for about the same or less than if I bought a good donor bike and all the goodies to build one.

If I had an ADV bike that I wasn't happy with, I may have gone through with it, but I'm completely satisfied with my current bike, so I'll put that idea away for a while.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
The bird actually looks really good naked (everything is powdercoated black) so the big thing is to find/fab a real suspension for the bike. lower the pegs, raise the bars (VFR ones work great) and PM me so I can reserve the 2nd creation

Your right, the blackbird looks badass naked. Too bad you said it got really bad gas mileage :(

But it's a thought. Where would I go about getting the suspension for the bike.
Can those supermoto guys who build the wheels have wheels made up for the bird in adv sizes?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Adh007
Needs to get back to work

Oddometer: 771
I'd look at twins over inline fours for offroad adventure touring. Narrower, torquey-er, fewer pipes.

I'd look for a bike with an exhaust that doesnt run under the motor (unless you're a good exhaust fabricator)

Worry not about wheels. Just ask woody. He will get you hooked up in that department.

Take lots of pictures.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 AM   #8
scorch OP
Poser

some more pics

Old 08-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
LBS Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I love the idea of making your own ADV bike. In fact I am going to ber building my 03 SV650 in my own little adv bike this winter (PICS TO COME!!!). The only thing I dont like about modding an existing road bike is most of them have the exhaust as the lowest point on the bike so your gonna need to have one helluva skid plate!
LBS Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adh007
I'd look at twins over inline fours for offroad adventure touring. Narrower, torquey-er, fewer pipes.
That's what I think too. I've long thought that the old Yamahammer XS650 twin motor in a more modern frame would be just the ticket.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
scorch OP
Poser

The twins are excellent. But i don't really like them. Except for the big power ones like the rc51.

I think it would be excellent to take the v four from a st1300 and make a adv moto. Imagine, super reliable v four, shaft drive.

But i think if i go this route, im sticking with a inline 4. Just like the smoothness.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBS Bandit
I love the idea of making your own ADV bike. In fact I am going to ber building my 03 SV650 in my own little adv bike this winter (PICS TO COME!!!). The only thing I dont like about modding an existing road bike is most of them have the exhaust as the lowest point on the bike so your gonna need to have one helluva skid plate!
Yeah man, let us see your mutant adv bike when you working on it. Tons of pics, document everything so us less mechanically challenged people can try and imitate you :)