ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
Camping Advice in SoCal

I'm putting together a "ghost town weekend tour" for this next weekend coming up and being new to the area I'm looking for camping advice.

Mainly can you camp off of dirt roads here? Or do you HAVE to rent a camp site from a state park.

My route is posted below and what I'd like to do is simply setup camp along side a dirt road (off the road enough to be out of the way) somewhere instead of having a certain place/time to arrive at a campground. Not sure if that's possible in Cali. I know it was damn near impossible in Texas unless you were good at stealth camping.

Total mileage is just over 700. The route will change a bit this is a rough draft I'll rearrange some of the routes to get me off the main highways a bit more.

jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,440
Nice loop.

Sorry, I can't help you on the camping. It won't be long before the inmates weigh in.

If you have not ridden the Montezuma Grade between Ranchita and Borrego Springs, it's worth a consideration. Lake Henshaw and up to Mt Palomar is nice.

Also, go through Joshua Tree NP if you haven't before.

Enjoy the ride, looks like a good one.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Look up randsburg. Nice old mining town. And you can pretty much camp wherever you want around there.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,175
More or less, yes. BLM land is good anywhere, if you're way away from everything, cities and towns, probly no one will bother you. There are also camp spots on your route. Parks and preserves probly not.

If there are no fences, private land etc. Much of your route is blm, state and federal lands.

If it were me I would stay at the river, even if it was in a primitive campground.
There is blm land east of salton sea. Or get a tent spot at Bashfords and soak in their mineral tubs.

Coming back past Amboy there's camping in Joshua Tree park, or go out 247 to Means Dry lake and camp whereever you want.

Gonna be hot out there, and at Colorado River. Already a hundred in the day out there. Check your weather. Bring plenty of water.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Look up randsburg. Nice old mining town. And you can pretty much camp wherever you want around there.

Sean, Randsburg is not even remotely close to his route.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Awesome thanks. Randsburgh looks like a good night 2 campspot. I'll have about a gallon on board at all times. I was checking the weather today which is why I wanted to knock this route out this weekend so I can get out there before it gets well over 100 during the day.

Thanks Browneye I'll plan to make it north east of the Salton Sea before I have to stop for night one. That largely depends on when work lets us out for the day on Friday

Edit- Yeah Randsburgh is pretty far from my route now that I look at it on a big map. I plan on going through Banning and over the mountain on the way back. THere's a national forest there IIRC.

jeepinbanditrider screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 09:17 PM
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Sean, Randsburg is not even remotely close to his route.
Ehhh whats another couple hundred miles??

Out in that area you should be good camping anywhere you want. As far as I know you can legally camp anywhere you want on BLM and Forest lands. State and national parks have to be in a designated camp site. Either way just use the normal responsible camp practices and you wont have a problem.

Only thing you may want to check on is fire restrictions and pick up a free fire permit from a ranger station.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Eh fire isn't on my list of things I want to have anyway. Just the stars. I'll be going to sleep not long after dark anyway. I'll probably stop and get one anyway just incase I get a wild hair and want to crank up a fire. Do you get a fire permit from any state or federal ranger station?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Eh fire isn't on my list of things I want to have anyway. Just the stars. I'll be going to sleep not long after dark anyway. I'll probably stop and get one anyway just incase I get a wild hair and want to crank up a fire. Do you get a fire permit from any state or federal ranger station?
Its required for stoves as well as campfires. If you plan on cooking or making coffee, you need it. Its free, and yes, any ranger station should have it. Now that Im thinking about it, you may be able to get it online and print it out too.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Found it

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5404941.pdf

That was easy

So camp cooking is covered now.