Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
birch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Bmw r1100s

Hey...

Found a 99 locally that looks fantastic in pictures. But with everything I've read, the can be cramped and a bit heavy on the vibrations.

That being said, I'm comfortable on a Sprint 1050. Can anyone directly compare the two for riding comfort/fun? Much prefer the looks of the BMW, but ya know.

Second, what effect does the Suburban Machine peg drops have? Pics still look like there's a ton of clearance.

This bike has the wide rear wheel so the ABS is disconnected. Does the 99 have integrated brakes?

Thanks!!
birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I haven’t ridden a Sprint but had a 2001 R1100S with the Suburban Machine peg drops and bar riser fittings that allow the bars to attach above the triple clamp. No problem with lean angle. I’m 5’8” with a 30” inseam and was very comfortable with the fit but the seat was torture over 100 miles. I also tried several taller windshields and decided that I like the stock one best because it kept my head in clean air, the others caused too much buffeting. I had the S Light with the carbon goodies and the lower fairing and I would get comments almost daily on how good the bike looked. My ‘01 had the wide rear wheel and the ABS worked, and the brakes were not linked. Once you get the process down for removing the fairings it is very easy to do and easy to maintain. I had the splines fail on the transmission input shaft at 30 something K miles and it was major surgery to repair. After researching it I found that it is not uncommon on that vintage. I really liked that bike other than that failure and the seat.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,029
Thumb

SM peg lowering kit and a set of (cheap plug, see: www.rapiddog.net) risers will transform your ergos, providing you have in most cases a flatter than stock seat. The stock seat is a ball crusher.

You can move the '99 bars to above the top triple without a kit.
Deets here: http://www.rapiddog.net/lowbarinstr.htm

Vibration is no different than any other boxer, only less the newer the vintage.

A wider (5.5") wheel has nothing to do with the ABS, so what you said is a mystery...
'99 has no linked brakes, that happened I believe in '02. Better brakes allaround.

Hope that helps....

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
A wider (5.5") wheel has nothing to do with the ABS, so what you said is a mystery...
It might have the wider wheel from a BCX (Boxer Cup Prep), which had the wider wheel and no abs.

No abs, no linked brakes, just very good standard Evo brakes front and rear.
Wider wheel, longer torque arm, sport Shoei suspension, no heated grips, etc.

One of the best bikes I've owned - did not change the ergos at all with peg lowering or different seat, and put a ton of miles on it.
No vibes, I'm 6'-1" and it fit really well.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
birch OP
Adventurer

Blakebird, I think you nailed it. I was just reading from the ad.

Hopefully will check her out next week.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Cool2

...could be correct, but if I remember right the ABS ring on the rear is part of the hub, not the wheel. Front has the ring mounted on the wheel.

Just be wary of what the seller is tellin' ya.
I posted the question over at the Pelican R1100S Forum for ya...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/745125-abs-sensor-rear.html#post7391285

Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
birch OP
Adventurer

RD thanks so much.

I'm torn between the R1000S and a 1050 Sprint (or Thunderbird Sport). I don't know much about the BMW's tho.

Appreciate the help!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...put it this way, if you have a little know-how around wrenches, you can service any boxer yourself.
I've hada couple Ducati's and a KTM twin since selling my S.
I'm back to a boxer cuz I can afford the cost of service, i.e., parts/no labor...

Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
birch OP
Adventurer

Hey Rapid Dog...

Already has your risers on board!

Any questions I should ask in specifics to a 1999?

Wife likes the look of the bike which is a huge plus!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

....not uure what you mean about specifics...pertaining to the risers?
If so, no. They fit all years.
Only specific is if your model came non-ABS with OEM LOW bars ( below the tripletree), you need a longer brake hose at the master, about 3".
Other than that, it's a cinch.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by birch View Post
RD thanks so much.

I'm torn between the R1000S and a 1050 Sprint (or Thunderbird Sport). I don't know much about the BMW's tho.

Appreciate the help!
If you test ride both bikes you'll end up with the Sprint. End of story. The 1050 Triple is an intoxicating motor with an incredible sound, huge torque and great top end power.
The 1100S is a fabulous bike for sure. It handles nicely, has good brakes but unless you simply fall in love with its quirkiness, the Triumph will steal your heart.

I desperately wanted one of these and looked all over for them and I was a bit disappointed in the power of the 1100S when I tested the one I was going to get. My 1150GS pulls a lot harder. I liked the way it handled but it was too uncomfortable for me to be a "Sport Tourer" - then again Im 6'3"
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
... and I was a bit disappointed in the power of the 1100S when I tested the one I was going to get....
I believe that was my bike you tested you nitwit!...

Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I believe that was my bike you tested you nitwit!...
oh thats right!

beautiful bike....I did like it, I just dont ever want to have to talk myself into a bike. It should speak to you.
So I ended up getting a SMOKING deal on an SV1000 which was ok for awhile, I knew I wouldnt lose money on it. Sounded incredible but needed too many things. Suspension upgrades blah blah blah....
I got a Speed Triple about 6 months ago.....

zero complaints!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
schrabs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Owned a 99 1100s for 3 years and rode 40.000mls on it all over Europe, most of it in the Alps. No issues at all. Great bike for 2 up, had the factory cases, they are great and due to the underseat exhaust the bike is still narrow enough for splitting lanes and looks decent even with the cases.

Stock seat as mentioned is worse than anything else I've owned, including a KTM 690 SMC...vibrations are not too bad but at a weird "frequency" which sometimes made my feet go numb...no big deal for me though. Passenger seat is roomy and quite comfy so I was told. Great handling even with 2 up plus cases - not too many bikes handle better with all that weight.

Con: ABS is one of the older, relatively slow versions, so really braking hard on a bumpy road can result in an adrenalin rush cos it feels like there is no braking power at all. That old ABS 2 totally releases the brake when the rear wheel starts to lift off the ground a little - todays systems are far superior.

Stock windshield worked good for me (6 ft) even after hours at Autobahn speed around 125mph. Pretty windy for the passenger though because the passenger seat is quite high up.
schrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
schrabs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Just remembered: There was an issue with the exhaust (thd colloector, not the pipes under the seat) on the 99 bikes - some internal metal parts disconnected after 20000km from vibration or so and made a rattling sound. Had it replaced under warranty. Depending on the mileage you might wanna check with the seller if it has been replaced or pay attention if there are weird sounds coming from the exhaust when reving the engine. Sounds like coins in an empty can.
schrabs is offline   Reply With Quote