Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
2006 KTM 450: faulty RR?

Hi all,
My battery is not charging.
I checked:

- on terminals: 12,3 volts (eng on and off)
- 20-80 ac volts (yellow and white cable) from alternator
- rr: nothing going through (tried all cables against each other)

So it seems to be the rr. Or can one measure it that way?

My ktm dealer says the rr's never go bad...
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,353
if you got 20-80 from the stator, that sounds good.... there's a resistance reading between those two wires to tell you if your stator is shorted out, look in the repair manual.... my connections between the stator wires and the regulator went bad, so check that..... that white connector w/the red spring loaded button is supposed to go bad alot, i couldn't even get mine apart, and it was all arced/corroded when i cut it apart....too many plugs/connectors in that run of wire, i cut mine out and soldered in some 14 ga. wire straight to the regulator, and fixed my problem.... but if you got 20-80 from the stator, i think that's supposed to be correct.... check the connections between the stator and regulator first....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here it is. Measured with multimeter for throughput..nothing ...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can these diods melt in there? It's strange that's there is nothing going through...also if I try resistance..nothing...
Now those things are pricey...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
davesupreme
grand poobah

alright... you got me goin'... i love a mystery.... you gotta factory manual?....
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
davesupreme
grand poobah

all the manual sez is that if you don't have between 14-15 VDC outta the regulator at 5K rpm, then replace the regulator....there's no resistance values stated... and i gotta RFS manual, i have a '06 450 also.... if you got juice coming outta the stator thru it's end of the plug, i'd either jump the connections w/some clips, or cut out the plug and try it....
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok. Just don't think that the plug is bad...
Will take it to the ktm dealer tomorrow and let them check..but they got this "just buy new attitude" not sure if they can really help...will see..
If it is really that thing. Can I use alternatives? Don't want to pay ktm dollars..
A 2 phase rr must be in use on other bikes too..not?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One more thing: on the other side of the plug I am getting the 12v from the battery..so all fine there...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisan View Post
rr: nothing going through (tried all cables against each other)

So it seems to be the rr. Or can one measure it that way?
"tried all cables against each other" .... don't understand what you are saying.

Connect R/R connector to the wiring harness as normal.

Stick two pieces of narrow wire into the connector (R/R side) and verify A/C inputs. Then stick two pirces of narrow wire into the connector (wiring harness side) and verify D/C outputs. This will verify that the connectors are good also, i.e you're testing A/C at the R/R side and D/C at the wiring harness side.

By testing the A/C input here (at the R/R) you'll also verify that the spade terminal connections are good, which are earlier in the circuit, where the lighting output is split off.

You can also try connecting a large capacitor directly to the outputs from the R/R. Battery could be bad.

If you want a cheap alternative, float the ground on the stator and buy a $40 Trailtech R/R. Possible that the Trailtech R/R might still work without the ground floated, since A/C input will be just the one winding. Not sure.

crazybrit screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 11:53 AM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
davesupreme
grand poobah

did you fire the bike up, and take the regulator lines off the battery?... still no juice?.... what do the regulator lines read when off the battery?....

factory manual doesn't have any ohm values for the regulator wires, so 'yer chasin' 'yer tail there....
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's like black magic..at least to me. Got another 2 phase rr from a bike shop. Put it on..nothing..no higher voltage at the terminals...

All connections are good, the plug as well...

How can I effectively test the rr??
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

It's like black magic..at least to me. Got another 2 phase rr from a bike shop. Put it on..nothing..no higher voltage at the terminals...

All connections are good, the plug as well...

How can I effectively test the rr??
So in your above picture, you measured the A/C input at the black connector block (with the 4 screw terminals). And it's correct?

But you are saying you are only reading battery voltage (12V) on the 2 DC connectors on the black connector block?

If so, as said before, disconnect the two D/C wires from the black connector block and wire up a suitable capacitor.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
alexisan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

- 50 ac volts on white and yellow cable against ground (rr unplugged)
- with rr plugged in I am getting 10 ac volts ...
- 12,5 dc volts on terminals
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
- 50 ac volts on white and yellow cable against ground (rr unplugged)
- with rr plugged in I am getting 10 ac volts ...
- 12,5 dc volts on terminals
WHICH "terminals? The battery terminals? The 4 terminal black connector block you are using? Please be more precise.

For the "rr unplugged" and "rr plugged in" cases, where and how are you measuring A/C. i.e where precisely are you connecting the probes?

10VAC is correct @idle but not for @rpm.

http://www.trailtech.net/tech_support_stators.html
"Note for testing stator systems: one very good way to test the stator and regulator/rectifier combination is with a capacitor. Reason for this is that a battery muddies the testing waters: if the battery is bad, it acts as a power sink and sucks up all the power that the stator can produce; when you are hunting for problems with stator or regulator/rectifier, the battery will run the load for quite a while before you realize that it isn't being charged"
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
davesupreme
grand poobah

i already told him to check the hot wires on the battery w/them OFF the battery and the bike on.... he ain't listening....

unplug the white connector and check ohm value between the white and yellow.... you got ac current, if the stator is shorting, it will work half assed....what the ohm value between the white and yellow, and yellow to ground?.... that's how you tell if you have a good stator.... you gotta manual?