Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #166
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,109
Pol had a badly bruised toe, apparently. How is he? "It's only pain," said his manager. Racers...
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #167
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Who would take their place? There are no young Americans coming through the ranks, and no feeder series to produce them, the way there is in other countries. There are talented American riders, but no one anywhere near a Grand Prix team.
Two young American riders won the Red Bull Rookies Cup championship and couldn't get rides in Europe, while people they raced against and beat are doing well. If I was a young American rider I'd have to conclude there was no future in the MotoGP paddock, whatever my connections.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #168
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Smith is on a two-year deal at Tech 3, so he's safe. Poncharal denied outright to me that he is talking to Espargaro. "I will never, ever sign a contract with Pol Espargaro," he said. When I said what if Espargaro signed with Yamaha, and Yamaha put him in Tech 3, he went quiet.
What about Aleix? Staying w/Aspar on a Suzuki?

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #169
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
Even if JLo had a better start, sure he would hang with DP and MM for a couple more laps, but the race result would have been the same.

DP and JLo will win their share of races this season. I expect MM will have some rookie moments before the season ends, that will spoil any championship hopes. After that, the future belongs to MM.

Hayden, Spies and Edwards don't need to do anymore post race interviews.
They can just replay the ones they did last year.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #170
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
What about Aleix? Staying w/Aspar on a Suzuki?
I think he's an attractive prospect. De Puniet is signed as Suzuki's test rider, but given that he is being handed his ass by his teammate, Aleix would appear to be the better prospect. Cheaper, too.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #171
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
two young american riders won the red bull rookies cup championship and couldn't get rides in europe, while people they raced against and beat are doing well. If i was a young american rider i'd have to conclude there was no future in the motogp paddock, whatever my connections.
+1.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #172
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Two young American riders won the Red Bull Rookies Cup championship and couldn't get rides in Europe, while people they raced against and beat are doing well. If I was a young American rider I'd have to conclude there was no future in the MotoGP paddock, whatever my connections.
All the current American motogp riders had a career in the US first where they gained US popularity and could hopefully generate some sort of backing. Now gaining popularity in the US is almost impossible due to the nearly nonexistent racing scene.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #173
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
And that's what's really frustrating. I don't know if finding the mythic American sponsor who will buck up like Repsol does for the Spanish riders would even help. There just doesn't seem to be the interest anymore in American riders in GP. Nevermind the 3 races we now have on American soil. You'd think Dorna would pressure teams and sponsors to get American riders like they work to keep at least one British rider in the top series.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #174
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
All the current American motogp riders had a career in the US first where they gained US popularity and could hopefully generate some sort of backing. Now gaining popularity in the US is almost impossible due to the nearly nonexistent racing scene.
Which is why your seeing more and more American names in the British series, and making efforts in the various Spanish series.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #175
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,429
It's a shame, he was so fantastic in WSB that I was really looking forward to seeing him succeed in MotoGP.

Great weekend at COTA, but I have to admit the big race was probably the most boring one of them all. It looked promising for a few laps when Pedrosa got close to making a move near the end, but I guess he bobbled it somewhere and that was that. I was in the last box under one of the white umbrellas, across from the podium, and had a great view of the final corner and run-up the hill to 1, and the Hondas had so much more pace than anyone else on that straight it was amazing.

I really enjoyed the KTM rookie race on the 250's, which had some great battles. It's amazing how mature and poised those kids are!

I got to spend an entire day driving Ferrari's around COTA a few weeks ago, and I have a profound appreciation and respect for how challenging that circuit is. Does anyone know what the top speeds the GP bikes were hitting on the back straight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajin Cajun View Post
After watching the post race interviews I can't seem to see how Spies will stick around for another season. He just sounds / looks done...
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Josephvman screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 12:13 PM
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #176
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
I saw 212mph by one of the Hondas?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #177
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,105
Quote:
You're joking right? So when Stoner crashed following DP and Germany last year and crashed cuz he couldn't hang onto him that was Stoner's cue to call it a day? Seriously even Ben has finished higher than JLo............

In both races, and through most every practice MM is faster.
This Dani's make it or break it year, and Marquez has politely bided his time behind Danny until GO Time. Danny's got nothing for the green pea riding the same bike. No excuses.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #178
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I saw 212mph by one of the Hondas?
And 175mph for moto2 and 147mph for moto3.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #179
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Guess we were thinking along the same lines. Pol said his foot was fine.
Yeah I'd expect to see a foot still in the boot in that scenario
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #180
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
This Dani's make it or break it year, and Marquez has politely bided his time behind Danny until GO Time. Danny's got nothing for the green pea riding the same bike. No excuses.
If you've been watching MotoGP a while, you'll have noted a couple of things:

1) Pedrosa has had six "make it or break it" years, according to non-fans on the intertubes; the point is, it doesn't really matter whether he wins the WC but whether there's a faster rider to replace him with.

2) The season usually consists of more than two rounds. Granted, getting beat twice in a row is no fluke, but for your sake you might want to wait a little before making any declarations about who's the fastest Honda rider. At this point last year Stoner was beating Pedrosa, and we saw how that turned out.

It wasn't too long ago we were hearing about how Rossi was going to win the WC this year, after just one round...

Lurky-Loo screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 01:11 PM
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote