Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #196
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Mika rode a great race. Even all the excuses Gav and Nick were making for Redding couldn't stop Kallio. He was the only non-Spaniard to finish on the podium in any class, including CRT. Big congrats to Mika.
Wow. Didn't realize he was the ONLY one! Yeah, it was a gutsy performance from Kallio.

Spain just rules this sport right now.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #197
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I think the big problem is that the US has its own way of doing things, AMA/DMG superbike, Flat track, etc.
There isn't a national feeder series like in Europe with a bunch of kids on 125's or Moto3 machinery, that then go on to Moto2/600 before taking the big jump up to MGP.
If you have a relatively inexpensive way of starting young people on racing machinery that is relevant to a world series then its a great starting point and absolutely necessary for proper development of the sport as a whole.
Flat tracking while cool doesn't really bear any relevance in modern racing.
There are plenty of good circuits in the US, enough to allow local racing to develop, like the RB rookies.
If there are enough kids doing it then the profile gets raised and sponsorship follows and the sport grows or so the thinking grows.
I think this is what KS34 had in mind when he brought MGP to Texas.
If modern racing didnt have traction control then we would see much different racing and see the importance of flat tracking.

Im not at all saying that AMA/DMG has it right because they do not! However when it comes to Moto GP they do not have it right with traction control, the racing (at times) is boring and Moto2 is more interesting and eventful almost every race.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #198
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
However when it comes to Moto GP they do not have it right with traction control, the racing (at times) is boring and Moto2 is more interesting and eventful almost every race.
There were sure a lot of black stripes in the exits of turns at COTA and MM was sliding quite a bit, can't imagine what it would be like without TC?!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #199
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
Did they change the speedos to mph for Texas ?
Fine, 341 kph

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #200
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
can't imagine what it would be like without TC?!
It's a beautiful thought.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #201
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
If you've been watching MotoGP a while, you'll have noted a couple of things:

1) Pedrosa has had six "make it or break it" years, according to non-fans on the intertubes; the point is, it doesn't really matter whether he wins the WC but whether there's a faster rider to replace him with.

2) The season usually consists of more than two rounds. Granted, getting beat twice in a row is no fluke, but for your sake you might want to wait a little before making any declarations about who's the fastest Honda rider. At this point last year Stoner was beating Pedrosa, and we saw how that turned out.

It wasn't too long ago we were hearing about how Rossi was going to win the WC this year, after just one round...

6 was too many,and it's shit, or get off the pot time.
If Marquez manages to bounce like he did in Austin and not get hurt crashing this is Mark's year, not Dani's.
Sure it's only two races, and most every practice session, and Mark hasn't had 6 years of practice and bikes built with his diminutive size in mind.
The #1 rider is now #2 , and I'll bet he knows it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #202
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
If modern racing didnt have traction control then we would see much different racing and see the importance of flat tracking.

Im not at all saying that AMA/DMG has it right because they do not! However when it comes to Moto GP they do not have it right with traction control, the racing (at times) is boring and Moto2 is more interesting and eventful almost every race.
I agree completely but we are where we are and factories are unlikely to go back to pre-TC days now.
It'd be like banning ABS brakes!
I also agree that MGP is processional at times much more so than SBK for instance and the Moto2 and Moto3 are examples of what good racing should be like.
My point is that by not having an international type feeder setup the likelihood of US riders even getting to the Grid is drastically reduced.
Look at Moto2 and 3 are there any US riders there?
Where are future MGP guys going to come from? AMA/DMG Superbike ?
Its the same in quite a few countries not just the US.
Bounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #203
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,581
Having never watched feeder classes for F1 I have to ask. Are they better than F1 like moto 2 and 3 are better than motogp?

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #204
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
If only the feeder class to MotoGP was based on a 600cc I-4 sportbike platform and if only the AMA used 600cc I-4 sportbikes as the classes for up and coming riders. That would probably help.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #205
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
If only the feeder class to MotoGP was based on a 600cc I-4 sportbike platform and if only the AMA used 600cc I-4 sportbikes as the classes for up and coming riders. That would probably help.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #206
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,607
Just to brag, I picked Marquez to win before practices started and before Kropotkin did!

Shit, I feel like I set a record!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #207
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
I predicted a Spaniard would win.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #208
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
There were sure a lot of black stripes in the exits of turns at COTA and MM was sliding quite a bit, can't imagine what it would be like without TC?!
Ask McCoy, he had no issue sliding the dog shit out of the two smokers.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #209
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post

They do, two classes worth of them actually, Daytona Super Sport and Daytona Sport Bike. The difference being that the motors aren't all identical, and there are next to no electronics on them, unlike moto2.

If you check the AMA DSB rules, those bikes aren't hugely removed from stock, stock low ends, only tuning on stock ECUs, stock fork bodies etc etc. You could build a bike to DSB spec in your driveway really, if you have a machine shop for the (minimal) headwork.

Moto2 is a different monster, that motor is CBR derived, which means its likely pretty much super bike spec for anything else (evidenced by 175mph trap speeds) with custom chassis and much less restrictive suspension rules.

Tripped1 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 02:26 AM
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:24 AM   #210
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Get rid of TC? Ok, then WSB bikes become faster than motogp, cos they still got it. Get rid of that as well, BUT at the same time sell street bikes with more and more advanced TC systems? Get street bikes rid of TC - sorry, that's not gonna happen.

It is a very complicated situation.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote