combustophile

Oddometer: 1,951
+1 Frame Man in Sacto
Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
matteo
HPM

Oddometer: 498
I had my /3 frame straightened here http://www.snowcrest.net/gte/index.html

My triple had a noticble twist when I sent it out. Perfectly straight when I got it back.
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,377
How did they straighten them?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
PM'd ya Jim.
No I don't have he motor, wish I did...
R-Dog since your close by you can bring it by my shop and we can straighten it out but without the motor match I think they will give you hell when you build something and try to register it at the DMV.

I'm not going to charge you a dime. I'll do it just for fun but without a matching engine in California I think you'd be better off buying another frame, unless you want to do something really outside the box like bracing or a customization.
Jim Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 753
It's unfortunate you don't have at least the engine case. If you had the case, you could always keep it on hand for title inspection then use a different motor to ride.

I have straightened frames for BMWs in the past, we built and used a frame jig to great success. After the frame jig became scrapyard filler, I bought a very crashed /5. I sent the frame to a place in the Bay area of California (as I lived close by). When I got the frame back, I fit the motor and transmission then tried to fit the swing-arm. It wouldn't go in. I sent the frame back to get it re-straightened. Same thing, the swing-arm wouldn't go in. I called them up and they told me I was nuts.

As it turns out, they would only straighten the front of the frames. My frame had done an endo and the rear of the frame got pushed forward. From the measurements I took, the drive side had been pushed forward about 3/4 of an inch and the kick start side about 1/2 an inch. I welded together a big metal block from an old punch-press bolster, welded some blocks on top of that and pushed both swing-arm pivots back into place. Worked perfect!

I rode that bike for a number of years before letting it go. I still have that block in the back of the garage, maybe until the price of scrap gets higher. If someone is interested enough to see a photo, I'll see what I can find.
Pokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Rapid Dog OP
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,989
....yes...I was wondering about the swingarm deal. Maybe I should find a swingarm before we think about straightening...yes?

As far as the DMV, I have the frame tag and title. Last few bikes I've brought in, they only checked the frame # and odometer reading.
I'm not real sure about the matching frame and motor numbers.

Guess I have some research to do.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 638
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
....yes...I was wondering about the swingarm deal. Maybe I should find a swingarm before we think about straightening...yes? As far as the DMV, I have the frame tag and title. Last few bikes I've brought in, they only checked the frame # and odometer reading. I'm not real sure about the matching frame and motor numbers. Guess I have some research to do.
Cal DMV is trying to crack down on theft, so they totally freak out if the frame and engine numbers do not match. My last few experiences with our local DMV have been horrific, Insane, like I never want to go back, and could tell you stories for days, and that's with matching numbers.

As to the swingarm, if you have a good jig you do not need one. If your like me and straightening it by hand it's good to have one. Like I said we're not that far away, and if you want to bring it by I'm sure we can do it. That said if I was you I'd look into the total cost of building a bike first before getting too excited about it.

Building a bike from scratch is going to cost you a ton of cash. Two of my three BMWs a 75 R75, and a 79 R65 were both purchased local for $1000. Unless you are really attached to it I'd sell that damaged frame on ebay and buy another more complete BMW Off craiglist
Jim Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
Rapid Dog OP
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,989
Yeah, I know, built a few. This time around I don't have the desire to buy a bike and de-construct it.
My idea was just to have a straight frame as a side project as I collect parts here and there. Work in progress, you know. Puttering project on cold days.
Some sentimental value as well.
My 77RS was identical to yours
I dig your bicycles Jim. Evidently you know about the joy of puttering...

..as for the DMV, I haven't been in an official office for a decade. Nightmare-ish places.
I use my AAA office. Nice folks.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Does anybody have the dimensions/drawings that could be used to build a factory frame jig?

Russ with a bent R100gs frame
russbryant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #25
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 232
frame fix

our lo tech frame fix is a set of shaft collers with a taper to fit in the steering head, long sharpened rod so point can hit the center line scribed on beam, two outside lines correspond to motor mount bosses, and center line for the pointer. I beam with blocks welded in motor mount position. bolt frame to I beam, put 1-3/8" bar thru steering head and bend to desired position. I did it by hand without heat, with a buddy pulling on the other side. It runs down the road just fine and my frame and motor still have matching numbers. this was for my $500 donor bike to make the R-75 ISDT replica. Having a titled frame in Ohio is the only way to go, the DMV is impossible otherwise.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote