Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #31
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,384
So .. hum ... as someone who is going to start on an R80RT restoration, you got me wondering.... I love what you ended up with. From what I can tell, the following mods were made:

- Dropped mega-barn door assembly
- Dropped in-dash volt meter and clock
- Relocated ignition to somewhere else
- R90S fairing
- R90S indicators
- R90S mirrors
- Shorter cables
- Different horn
- Re-routed brake lines
- Different handle bars (which ones?)
- Same headlight and bucket?

Anything else big and obvious I am missing?
I might just have to do something similar and shed the weight up front....
Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #32
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
So .. hum ... as someone who is going to start on an R80RT restoration, you got me wondering.... I love what you ended up with. From what I can tell, the following mods were made:

- Dropped mega-barn door assembly
- Dropped in-dash volt meter and clock
- Relocated ignition to somewhere else
- R90S fairing
- R90S indicators
- R90S mirrors
- Shorter cables
- Different horn
- Re-routed brake lines
- Different handle bars (which ones?)
- Same headlight and bucket?

Anything else big and obvious I am missing?
I might just have to do something similar and shed the weight up front....
I am using a BMW "S" fairing and it had provisions for both the clock and volt meter. Both of mine work now and were not working on the RT. The ignition switch bolts right into the left headlight ear/headlight. You will need the headlight ears to mount the headlight. Alternatively, you can retain the spider-like fairing/headlight mounting bracket and modify it to mount the "S" fairing. Some people have done it this way. That moves the fairing slightly forward.

The turn signals themselves can be sourced from a number of bikes, even /5's metal ones. The mounts for the turn signals for the S fairings are about 1/2 longer than the standard mounts and are scarce used. All the control cables and upper brake lines are stock RS parts. I used aftermarket lower brake lines to eliminate the steel lines from the splitter. The horn will work in the stock location, I just have no need for a horn so left them off. The handlebars are Flanders bars for Airheads and are listed as sidecar bars. The R90S mirrors are no longer available. These are BMW mirrors but I forget what they originally fit. I got these thru Tom Cutter but any BMW dealer can get them.

Good luck and have fun with your project. I had great fun doing this one and even more fun riding it.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
I am using a BMW "S" fairing and it had provisions for both the clock and volt meter. Both of mine work now and were not working on the RT. The ignition switch bolts right into the left headlight ear/headlight. You will need the headlight ears to mount the headlight. Alternatively, you can retain the spider-like fairing/headlight mounting bracket and modify it to mount the "S" fairing. Some people have done it this way. That moves the fairing slightly forward.

The turn signals themselves can be sourced from a number of bikes, even /5's metal ones. The mounts for the turn signals for the S fairings are about 1/2 longer than the standard mounts and are scarce used. All the control cables and upper brake lines are stock RS parts. I used aftermarket lower brake lines to eliminate the steel lines from the splitter. The horn will work in the stock location, I just have no need for a horn so left them off. The handlebars are Flanders bars for Airheads and are listed as sidecar bars. The R90S mirrors are no longer available. These are BMW mirrors but I forget what they originally fit. I got these thru Tom Cutter but any BMW dealer can get them.

Good luck and have fun with your project. I had great fun doing this one and even more fun riding it.

Chuck
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #34
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Hookalatch,

How did you get the exhaust and headers so clean, or are they new?
Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #35
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
Hookalatch,

How did you get the exhaust and headers so clean, or are they new?
Thanks
They are the original headers, They were badly stained with baked on oil and other debris. I used red scotch brite pads to completely clean them up. When I finished it looked like I ruined them. It appeared like I had removed all the chrome and had taken them to bare metal. I even took them to a re-chroming shop and they said it was down to bare metal and re-chroming was in order. My financial situation prevented that and I figured I couldn't hurt them any worse so I started in on them with fine sandpaper 1000, 1500, and finally 2000, Then used paint rubbing compound on them. They came out not quite as shiny as great chrome but pretty nice. Time will tell how well they hold up.

Chuck
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #36
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
They are the original headers, They were badly stained with baked on oil and other debris. I used red scotch brite pads to completely clean them up. When I finished it looked like I ruined them. It appeared like I had removed all the chrome and had taken them to bare metal. I even took them to a re-chroming shop and they said it was down to bare metal and re-chroming was in order. My financial situation prevented that and I figured I couldn't hurt them any worse so I started in on them with fine sandpaper 1000, 1500, and finally 2000, Then used paint rubbing compound on them. They came out not quite as shiny as great chrome but pretty nice. Time will tell how well they hold up.

Chuck
Boy, this sure was a labour of love ... :-)
I'm busily adding up all the bits I want to replace by going through RealOEM.com from front to back ... makes it easier to not forget stuff. It's not going to be cheap ...
Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #37
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,983
...turned out nice, good job man!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #38
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

How sweet the sound

The sounds from the Hoske mufflers I recently installed are sweet music, at least to my ears at any rate, Hearing an Airhead run with these mufflers is what actually stimulated my whole project. In my original plan the mufflers were going to be one of the first things I was going to do to the bike. It seems a little ironic that adding those mufflers to my project was the last thing that got done. But I finally got a set and have had a chance to put a few miles on the bike with them installed.

The Hoske's are much shorter (and much lighter) and initially I thought they looked a little funny and made the ass-end of the bike look a little ponderous. I can see why the Cafe crowd likes to shorten the back end. It was raining when I installed them so I fired the bike up inside my shop. Oh no, those suckers were louder than I remembered.

I am getting used to the new look to the exhaust now and am starting to like the look. The exhaust didn't sound near as loud once I opened the shop doors and the noise while riding is sweet music indeed. They are probably too loud for many of the BMW group and may be a bit much for someone riding right behind me but I am loving the sound.

Chuck
Old 10-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #39
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,161
Luverley.

These bikes do sound nicer with a throatier note. I have Jim Cray Keihen's and luv 'em.

They're not for everyone though.

Rockers are on wrong...will look even better when fixed.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
Luverley.

These bikes do sound nicer with a throatier note. I have Jim Cray Keihen's and luv 'em.

They're not for everyone though.

Rockers are on wrong...will look even better when fixed.
I think you are indicating my rocker covers. For some reason I get a small oil leak I can't seem to stop without using sealant when mounted differently. Maybe I didn't give the gaskets time to swell. I try changing them again next valve adjust.

Chuck
Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #41
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 678
Both

Man I hate seeing her ripped up BUT, I like both, the old and the new version so all good by me.