Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,736
Hell I do that in my office chair anymore reach for the coffee crash .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Putting foot down...I get it.

29" inseam and a 38.6" seat height, and I'm fat and old. It's a dirt bike...lean a cheek off and one-toe it, and if it's going down on you in the woods either throttle out of your mistake or go ahead and drop it and point/laugh at yourself
Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,736
First check the charging system before dropping the bucks. I have a stock replacement runs Gps & heated jacket liner no problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #18
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
Hell I do that in my office chair anymore reach for the coffee crash .
Video of you "throttling out of your mistake" reaching for your coffee...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #19
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
In regards to battery..... Option 3. Go to a WestCo AGM battery if it is your battery. They work for years and have no liquid in them which is good for OR work. Better check that stator output before you decide it is your battery though. If battery is more than 5 yrs old it probably should go anyway. Stator connections are a known problem on these bikes and that leads to failure. If you have not done the "Free Power Mod" from Thumper Talk FAQ.....DO IT NOW FIRST!
Since the thread is about lowering links though I will just re-iterate that they will shorten your shock life as all the shaft loads are all wrong in all directions. A better option is to back off your spring and cut down your seat..
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
In regards to battery..... Option 3. Go to a WestCo AGM battery if it is your battery. They work for years and have no liquid in them which is good for OR work. Better check that stator output before you decide it is your battery though. If battery is more than 5 yrs old it probably should go anyway. Stator connections are a known problem on these bikes and that leads to failure. If you have not done the "Free Power Mod" from Thumper Talk FAQ.....DO IT NOW FIRST!
Since the thread is about lowering links though I will just re-iterate that they will shorten your shock life as all the shaft loads are all wrong in all directions. A better option is to back off your spring and cut down your seat..
I've purchased a battery from Advanced Auto Parts for $33. It has the same specs as the battery that was in there. Will charge it this afternoon and hopefully that'll solve the starting issues.

I don't know the age of the old battery but it might be the stock one. The guy I bought the bike from bought it from an older gentleman who rode it for about 2500 miles in a few years and then had it in his garage for 10 years and never rode it, then sold it to the guy I bought it from and he added another 2000 miles. So I guess it might be possible it's stock. But either way, I have a new one. I'll report back on the progress.

I'm getting a Corbin seat soon so that should help more too.

I have not done the Free Power Mod" from Thumper Talk FAQ. I googled it and only found info for the 2000-2011 DRZ400. I have a 97 DR350SE. Is this applicable to my bike and what you're referring to? Also, forgive my ignorance, but what does this do?

In regards to the shock, I think my bump stop is deteriorating. Should I replace it now? And probably have the shock rebuilt with a stiffer spring just to take care of it? How many miles (estimate) will a newly rebuilt shock go for? See photos of shock here: http://imgur.com/a/Hdvc8

97 DR350SE
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #21
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
Sorry about that.... No Free Power Mod needs on a DR350! This is what happens when you are thinking about a DRZ 400 thread at the same time. I would check your stator output though, but a battery seems likely given the sitting ,uncharged, scenario you mention. Enjoy that bike. Those old 350s were fun and reliable machines.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote