ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 960
I've been using OSMAnd+ for a long time now. They keep adding features, and it gets better and better.
I use CoPilot also, and I must say that CoPilot has a better routing engine, if you use routing. I normally just display moving maps and pick my own roads. OSMAnd is great for that because you can put in a destination, and it simply puts an arrow on the map pointing to the destination which may be way off of the screen. Just pick any road and follow the arrow to your destination.
OSMAnd also has a couple of map rendering options that make the maps much more visible in direct sunlight compared to something like Google maps.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
fiah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Woah!
yeah sorry for the wall of text, I was rambling for a bit :p
fiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,896
No way, that was great. You may have just sold me an Android device.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
fiah
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
No way, that was great. You may have just sold me an Android device.
Well before you buy one, keep in mind that I have absolutely 0 experience with dedicated motorcycle GPS units, or any Garmins at all really! Also, the map rendering is slower than raster based maps like the Google Maps .. maps, so if you're looking for a budget phone or something like that, you could be in for a disappointment if you like looking at maps.

edit: alright, to humor you (but mostly myself) I tried this on my old Android phone, a Huawei Ascend G300, which was a budget phone (€160 think?) I bought a year ago, 1gHz single core CPU, 512MB RAM. Comparable to the Galaxy S I'd say, and much slower than the Galaxy S2. Anyway, I tried OsmAnd on the Huawei and to my surprise it works plenty well! Scrolling and zooming the map is a bit slower than on my Nexus 4, but the rendering of the map after scrolling to a bit that hasn't loaded yet was really not that much slower. I'm guessing that this is mostly bottle-necked by the flash storage (reading the map into RAM), rather than CPU or GPU speed. It was very usable, and my girlfriend commented that she wished she had this app yesterday when she was looking for directions but couldn't get any because she couldn't get any HSDPA reception.

fiah screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 02:44 PM
Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 968
Great post Fiah...

I too had a moment of glory when I recently tried OsmAnd. It actually does everything I wanted! I was really interested in the Earl Android backcountry tablet, but haven't had any luck with the other apps people were recommending. As soon as I created a quick GPX route via online creator with a few clicks, emailed it to myself, saved it in the folder as mentioned, checked the "pass along the entire track" and Eureka! Ordered it on the spot. Sold.

I think you covered most, and I've posted a few more tips and tricks in the Earl thread and in the other ditching garmin for android thread.

You can record GPX tracks, get turn by turn, all offline maps, routing via YOUR roads or way points without optimization. Seriously, what optimization would ever put you on all dirt roads? I requested that as an option for routing yesterday like avoid highways. (avoid pavement!) :)

It's very powerful, and if you play with the settings a little for the fuzzy logic of following the route during navigation, you can probably have avoided those quick wrong turn detours if you set up your location buffer/variance/somethingorother to be slightly larger. You may lose some precision though...
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
fiah
Adventurer

So... I went on a proper day long ride today, using OsmAnd as my guide. The graphs below are definite proof that OsmAnd can keep on going even long after my ass has had enough! 11 hours of navigating, with some stops for food and fuel, as well as the occasional "where did she want me to go?" stop, and I still had 40% left!

I used a track from a fellow rider again, blessed be his/her anonymous soul, for the track sent be back and forth over awesome roads, full of great curves and nary another soul to be seen! I mean, there were people there of course, quite a few other riders as well, but all in all I had a lot of fun, more than I've ever had without a GPS.

So, what OsmAnd did (and I noticed this the last time as well) was pretty much give me a turn by turn for the twisty bits, not only for the places where I actually had to make a turn but also for a lot of the twisty bits in between. Kind of like a rally navigator, I had a voice in my head saying "slight left", "sharp right", but only for some of the curves, not all of them. It seems that when OsmAnd is giving you a turn-by-turn for a track (in contrast to a route), it will point you left and right even if that's just the course of the road instead of a turn off of the road. At other times (presumably when the track better matches the map material) it recognizes that you're just following the course of the road and it will instruct you to do so. The trickiest bits were where it said "turn slightly right" and the road was in a curve to the right with a turn in the curve as well. I had to guess whether OsmAnd wanted me to take the turn or to just follow the road. My guess is that as soon as you make your own route, then export it as a track using the same maps, the track will match well enough for OsmAnd to stop blabbering about every twist in the twisty bits, and instead only tell you when you really need to take a turn. I wanted to try and do that this time (recreate the track as a route in BaseCamp, then export it as a track again) but I got tired of that unintuitive heap of shit, just as much as it seemed to get tired of life and crash.

For the parts to and 'fro the twisty, hilly bits, I used the directions that OsmAnd calculated itself. For the most part, the 'avoid motorways' option sent be along quite a few fun roads, pretty much in a straight line from my home address to the destination, using every bit of road in between. Fun stuff! However, for some roads (particularly some bigger ones) it seemed that OsmAnd disagreed with the map material, for some reason it deemed it necessary for me to "keep left", "keep right" and sometimes "turn slightly left/right" on roads that were obviously just going straight on without any turn or exit lanes to be seen. That got on my nerves after a while, and it's something that I've only sporadically experienced with commercial navigation software so far. Sometimes, these instructions got in the way of actually telling me where to go, making me miss a turn and backtrack. But look who's complaining, it's free!

Attached Images

fiah screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 01:07 PM
Old 08-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
Beer_me
JY

Oddometer: 65
What phone are you running?

I typo'd this on my fone yo'
'11 Husky TE250
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
fiah
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me View Post
What phone are you running?

LG Nexus 4
Old 08-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
Beer_me
JY

Thanks fiah. Sounds like I need to give OsmAnd a try.

'11 Husky TE250
Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
fiah
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks fiah. Sounds like I need to give OsmAnd a try.
That's what I'm doing. I mean, before I blow a few hundred 's on a dedicated GPS + powered mount, I gotta try and work with what I've got, don't I?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
Beer_me
JY

Exactly. Good to hear the audible only method worked for you. I think that would be the only way for me to use my current phone. It's rate of discharge is greater than charging in my vehicle and moto can keep up with. I'm running a Galaxy Nexus BTW.

'11 Husky TE250
Old 08-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #27
Beer_me
JY

[Ignore this]
'11 Husky TE250

Beer_me screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 05:55 PM
Old 08-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
fiah
Adventurer

Quote:
Exactly. Good to hear the audible only method worked for you. I think that would be the only way for me to use my current phone. It's rate of discharge is greater than charging in my vehicle and moto can keep up with. I'm running a Galaxy Nexus BTW.
Oh definitely, if I tried to run my Nexus 4 in a mount with the screen on but no power, it would be flat in 4 hours at most, more likely 3. I think I would like to have a screen with the navigation, but on the other hand using an audio only assist does reduce the potential for distraction. Today wasn't a great example of that for me, as OsmAnd was at times struggling to keep up with the senseless narration of corner after corner that I was riding, but when it decides to shut up and just give you only the bits of info that you really need, it's marvelous. That's why I really want to try this again, but with a real route instead of a track. Maybe I should try a BaseCamp tutorial to see if I can get to terms with it. I'd try something else but I haven't seen anything that I could use offline (critical for multi-day trips) with the OSM maps.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #29
btao
Pwned

I did some more testing with OsmAnd today with a nice local loop on dirt roads. There were a lot of turns, all on one lane backroads in the woods, and learned a few tricks. Like noted above, it gets a little confused if the road ventures too far away from your waypoints. If it's on it, the turn by turn works fine.

I would recommend when creating your GPX route, to place enough points to follow the curves in the road and 3 at each turn. One just before, one at the intersection, and one just after. When you force it along the route, it takes it quite a bit more literally than normal.

This is all with the bluetooth helmet nav only, mind you. It's real easy to follow on the map. It does have a nice feature where it tells you how far you are away from the route.

I haven't however figured out how to adjust the units from metric to american. I can change it in the settings, but it keeps reading in meters. Does anyone know if it uses the units from the GPX file as priority?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
btao
Pwned

Also, I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD, and get literally days of GPS use. The thing is astonishing, and lives up to the reason of purchasing it.