ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #31
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiah View Post
for some reason it deemed it necessary for me to "keep left", "keep right" and sometimes "turn slightly left/right" on roads that were obviously just going straight on without any turn or exit lanes to be seen.
I seldom use Osmand+ for routing, but when I do I have noticed this too. I have seen it where a road changes names or numbers in particular, even though it is going straight or close to straight.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #32
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_me View Post
It's rate of discharge is greater than charging in my vehicle and moto can keep up with. I'm running a Galaxy Nexus BTW.

It is the charger most likely. Most USB chargers do not short the USB data lines, so they only charge at a slow rate thinking you are plugged into a computer port that doesn't have a lot of current.

Install "battery monitor widget". When you plug in the adapter, that program should show "AC plugged". If it does not, then you need to modify the charger.

You can take the charger apart and short D+ and D-, the two middle pins. Or, or you are careful, put a small piece of foil in the USB socket shorting the two center pins (and not touching anything else).

With that, I plug in my phone, use it as a GPS, screen brightness on max, AND the phone charges fairly quickly.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #33
Beer_me
JY

Oddometer: 65
Good to know worwig. I'll see what the widget tells me. Good tips!

I typo'd this on my fone yo'
'11 Husky TE250
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #34
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
I seldom use Osmand+ for routing, but when I do I have noticed this too. I have seen it where a road changes names or numbers in particular, even though it is going straight or close to straight.
For those of you who do use OsmAnd+ you can update the OSM map database right from the app when you find map issues. Or, send them your Tracks. Talk about real time mapping!

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #35
fiah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
I did some more testing with OsmAnd today with a nice local loop on dirt roads. There were a lot of turns, all on one lane backroads in the woods, and learned a few tricks. Like noted above, it gets a little confused if the road ventures too far away from your waypoints. If it's on it, the turn by turn works fine.

I would recommend when creating your GPX route, to place enough points to follow the curves in the road and 3 at each turn. One just before, one at the intersection, and one just after. When you force it along the route, it takes it quite a bit more literally than normal.

This is all with the bluetooth helmet nav only, mind you. It's real easy to follow on the map. It does have a nice feature where it tells you how far you are away from the route.

I haven't however figured out how to adjust the units from metric to american. I can change it in the settings, but it keeps reading in meters. Does anyone know if it uses the units from the GPX file as priority?
Great to hear that it also works on your local dirt roads, I'm not much of an adventurer in that sense (and my NC700S isn't much of an off road bike ) so I've stuck to regular roads so far. Maybe when I get BaseCamp to do what I need it to do, I can clean up the track a bit and force it to put more points in, OsmAnd seems to be able of loading more than 20.000 points in a track.

You can change the units in the settings btw, 'settings' -> 'general', it's the 6th down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Also, I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD, and get literally days of GPS use. The thing is astonishing, and lives up to the reason of purchasing it.
Yeah that phone has a beastly battery! I figure that if I need more than a day's worth of charge, I could either figure out how to properly charge my phone with my bike, or buy one of those phone chargers with a massive battery built into it.
fiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #36
fiah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
That particular issue is something I've seen with commercial products as well, but it doesn't really happen too often that one particular road suddenly get a different number/name without you taking a turn, so it's not too bothersome.

What OsmAnd did on one particular road yesterday was a lot worse. It was a long (20km+) boring straight road, but for some stretches OsmAnd kept telling me to "keep left", "keep right", sometimes multiple times per kilometer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
For those of you who do use OsmAnd+ you can update the OSM map database right from the app when you find map issues. Or, send them your Tracks. Talk about real time mapping!
I'm going to try and find that road with their online tools, to see if there's anything particular about it that may cause this. I didn't make a track though :(
fiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #37
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
Was about to drop some money on a new Garmin 450t that I would use a couple times a year, until I read this thread. I'm testing Osmand, on my Galaxy S3(Tmobile prepaid), with various street routes and so far so good. I'll test it on some NF routes, here about 2 weeks.

My Garmin experience has included a couple Garminfone A50's and a couple Nuvi's, including a 1450LMT.

If Osmand continues to pan out, I see a Nexus 7, in my future.

Thanks to all for the input.
nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #38
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiah View Post
OsmAnd can do all this, and it's free! Or at least, you should be able to get a version that isn't limited like the free version in the Play store without actually paying (donating!) for the paid version, but I digress.

I was looking for all this last weekend, offline navigation down a route that you prepare on a PC, with turn by turn audio routing, and last Sunday OsmAnd did the trick for me. Better yet, I was even able to just download a track that somebody else made by tracking his GPS, and just follow the same track with turn by turn voice instructions! Given how well it worked for that, it should work even better if you make a track with Google maps or Mapsource/Basecamp.

Anyway, all I used was my Nexus 4, speakers in my helmet (directly connected to the audio jack, no bluetooth), the OsmAnd app (free version), Dropbox, the regional OSM offline maps (free!) and the app.

Here is the step by tiny little step that I did:
  1. Download and start the app
  2. Go to "settings" -> "data management" -> "click here to download..."
  3. Download the regional maps you want
  4. Download the voice pack you want (English TTS)
  5. On you computer, put the .GPX track that you prepared in Dropbox
  6. In the Dropbox app on your phone, select the file and export it
  7. navigate to your SD card, into the "osmand" directory
  8. save the file into the "tracks" directory (you might have to make the directory with the button in the top-right)
  9. When OsmAnd finishes downloading, go to the Map, press on the button in the bottom left
  10. Choose "directions"
  11. Choose "GPX route"
  12. You should be able to select the GPX file that you transferred
  13. Choose "pass along entire track"

Now, the app should be showing the map in your position, and a blue line where the route is that you transferred. It won't give you an instruction yet, unless you are already on the route! To start navigating, plug in your speakers (or connect with Bluetooth, I haven't tried that yet) and hop on your bike. Ride to the point where the route starts, this is where the app should start giving you instructions. You may have to select a destination first and choose "use current destination" when selecting the GPX file as well, somebody else mentioned that and I did so, but I'm not sure if it's required.

Anyway, by doing exactly that, the OsmAnd app gave me turn by turn voice instructions for the next 60+ miles, with my phone in my jacket and the screen off. Because I used a GPS track that somebody else actually recorded (instead of generating a track from a route), I ran into a few spots where the guy recording it took a wrong turn and backtracked. The instructions were a bit unclear when that happened (literally: "turn left, then make a U-turn and turn left"), but after checking it out visually it made sense ("turn left, then don't be a doofus and just take the first on the right"').

By keeping the screen off, I got very good battery life! All in all, with messing about and a good long break in the middle (hamburger and icecream, hmm) I had the app running continuously for over 3 hours, and my phone's battery had only drained about 35%. The Nexus 4 doesn't have a big battery or anything, so your Galaxy S3 would probably work just as well (and even better in airplane mode!). I don't know how well it copes with stopping and restarting the navigation, which is why I kept it running during my break. Also, like other track based navigation, once you get off the track it won't bring you back on! You have to find your own way back, all it said to me was "when possible, make a U-turn" which was exactly what I had to do. After I got to a point where I didn't want to follow the route anymore I just put my home address in and it got me back in good shape.

TLDR:
OsmAnd worked for me, had a good time and would recommend experimenting with!

edit: So, I tried the equivalent of navigating across North America, using BaseCamp with the German OpenStreet Map. I clicked around a bit, converted the route to a track and exported that, but the OsmAnd app didn't swallow the tracks as I hoped. I created one track of ~1500km with 15k points, that one it only loaded up to 393km or 2.7k points. The other track I tried was also about 1500km with 27k points, the app got that track up to 1190km or ~21k points. I don't know what's causing the app to stop accepting the rest of the track, but it really did cut off the last end of those tracks. The first bit up until the distances mentioned looked exactly as planned in BaseCamp, although the map rendering did slow down quite a bit with such a long track. I also had to give it a few tries before it accepted the tracks at all, it would say the track was 0km long quite a few times. All in all it doesn't seem to be very reliable yet. But, the basic workflow of creating a route in BaseCamp and exporting it to the OsmAnd app is pretty painless, once I managed to wrangle BaseCamp into submission (you don't need Dropbox of course but it's pretty convenient). The OSM map material isn't great yet; BaseCamp didn't want to navigate across some sections, but all in all I'd say it's pretty awesome for a bunch of free software and data!

edit 2: As an additional data point, the track that I navigated succesfully last Sunday was about 95km with roughly 1500 points. I think I'll go use up a tank's worth of gas on a longer trip this weekend, depending on the weather, using another track laid down by a fellow rider.
Tried this and it worked. Kinda. I might have a setting off or?

I took a gpx route off basecamp that I know is good. uploaded to dropbox. Opened in Osmand as described above. The route is there. It's an easy and painless process. Problem is it shows as a track, not a route. ie: it has two points; start and finish. Is there a way to "snap to road" or a setting I don't have?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #39
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Tried this and it worked. Kinda. I might have a setting off or?

I took a gpx route off basecamp that I know is good. uploaded to dropbox. Opened in Osmand as described above. The route is there. It's an easy and painless process. Problem is it shows as a track, not a route. ie: it has two points; start and finish. Is there a way to "snap to road" or a setting I don't have?
OSMAnd does not import Routes. It will calculate a route between waypoints.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #40
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
OSMAnd does not import Routes. It will calculate a route between waypoints.
Uh huh. Now that makes sense. I converted to a track. Did it all again, and the track follows the road.

What's the best online mapping tool? I wish basecamp wasn't so complicated. I can appreciate what it does, and it does work, but I find it a clusterfudge at times. Esp. the wonky search.

Thanks!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #41
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Uh huh. Now that makes sense. I converted to a track. Did it all again, and the track follows the road.

What's the best online mapping tool? I wish basecamp wasn't so complicated. I can appreciate what it does, and it does work, but I find it a clusterfudge at times. Esp. the wonky search.

Thanks!
I find Microsoft Streets and Trips easy.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #42
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
I find Microsoft Streets and Trips easy.
I use Google Maps , just download as KML convert to GPX and save in google drive , then open it in phone
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #43
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
I use Google Maps , just download as KML convert to GPX and save in google drive , then open it in phone

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #44
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,511
Quote:

Thanks!
This is an excellent, free, easily uploading/downloading/sharing method, and it's routing capabilities are fantastic:

http://www.gpsies.com

It reminds me very much of what the creator of DSM was doing before google screwed up the API's.

That being said, if you tinker just a -little- bit with OSMAND/OSMAND+, or ORUXMAPS (using BRouter for OFFLINE routing), you will find some very very nice feature sets.

If you have 5 minutes, give my tutorial video a shot and feel free to critique away afterwards. I'd love to share whatever resources we can, and prompt the AWESOME DEVELOPERS to features and shortcomings we all see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe0bH9F9aIE
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #45
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Quick Charging Cable for Android Smartphone

Quote:
It is the charger most likely. Most USB chargers do not short the USB data lines, so they only charge at a slow rate thinking you are plugged into a computer port that doesn't have a lot of current.

Install "battery monitor widget". When you plug in the adapter, that program should show "AC plugged". If it does not, then you need to modify the charger.

You can take the charger apart and short D+ and D-, the two middle pins. Or, or you are careful, put a small piece of foil in the USB socket shorting the two center pins (and not touching anything else).

With that, I plug in my phone, use it as a GPS, screen brightness on max, AND the phone charges fairly quickly.
This reply is a bit late but just found the thread when I was looking for mapping apps for Android.

Our Red Band Smartphone Quick Charge cable has the data pins shorted at the device end which saves having to screw around with your charger.

We had lots of complaints that our TAPP all-weather USB power ports couldn't keep up with high power drain of mapping apps but the problem was data pins not being shorted as you describe, not a power issue.

They work great on tablets that charge with USB as well.

The reason that I was looking for mapping apps is that the new Samsung Galaxy S5 that is due out next month (April) is rated to IP67 - waterproof to 1m for 30 minutes. This is perfect for touring and adventure riders. I've pre-ordered one (or at least I think I have) and can't wait to give it a try.

Of course I'll power it with one of our all-weather USB power ports and TAPP CAPPed Red Band cable for full all-weather power all the time.

Apologies for the shameless tooting of our horn but it should be a kick-ass set up.

BTW the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active is also rated at IP67 but not all providers offer it.

Cheers -Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote