Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #136
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno041 View Post
I just purchased a new KTM 990 Baja myself. First adventure bike and first KTM. Anywho....I'm already addicted! So far I put on the CPR air intake, removed all smog stuff, and re-mapped ecu. I have the Scott's stabilizer in the garage ready to put on, and awaiting for my order of other parts to come in. Black dog skid plate and side stand relocate, KTM kickstand foot, high front white fender, frame guards, rear master cylinder guard, Scott's rear shark fin, and fastway adventure pegs. Right now the bike is at Precision Concepts getting suspension. Trying to go beyond the 265mm travel. Maybe close to 280-300?!. Would be nice, Bob Bell will be calling me soon with options. Looking into exhaust and have lots of options.... But dunno what to buy. Anyone bought that 2 into 1 HTR?! After that I'm going to give my debit card a rest.. I'll ride the crap out of it and decide what next, .....most likely luggage. Other than changing the oil, is the anything else I should know about the 600 mile break in service?!
First post on here btw... Looking forward to many more.
Very close to what I've cooking for my '13. :)

Please report back or shoot me a PM on what you find out from PC on the suspension. This coming winter, I'll be looking to send off my boingers for similar mods and I like PC...

I am gonna replace the set screws on my Fastways with button caps or socket caps as to minimize tearing up my soles as I won't be doing a lot of trail work. I ended up with F3s cuz I dint want the extra width of the adventures as I am always catching my boots on my pegs anyhow.

I haven't put on my KTM kickstand foot yet because the galvanized fasteners KTM includes are already kinda oxidized and look like they're ready to rust. Just need to get to the hardware store for the stainless replacements as I will be loctite-ing everything and I only want to do it once.

Thanks!
Cris
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #137
Ryno041
Do it! You won't...

Oddometer: 44
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Very close to what I've cooking for my '13. :)

Please report back or shoot me a PM on what you find out from PC on the suspension. This coming winter, I'll be looking to send off my boingers for similar mods and I like PC...

I am gonna replace the set screws on my Fastways with button caps or socket caps as to minimize tearing up my soles as I won't be doing a lot of trail work. I ended up with F3s cuz I dint want the extra width of the adventures as I am always catching my boots on my pegs anyhow.

I haven't put on my KTM kickstand foot yet because the galvanized fasteners KTM includes are already kinda oxidized and look like they're ready to rust. Just need to get to the hardware store for the stainless replacements as I will be loctite-ing everything and I only want to do it once.

Thanks!
Cris

Ya sure will, they've done all my desert bikes, race bikes....etc. they do great work. Hoping to hear from him today. I will share the results.
Ryno041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #138
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Just need to get to the hardware store for the stainless replacements
Cris
Ah.

You want weaker bolts then?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #139
Lafayette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Inspirational thread..
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #140
Cris
AB+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Ah.

You want weaker bolts then?
A non-issue in this instance.

What I am referring to is the set screws in the platform of the pegs. The existing set screws are already stainless.

The screws in the kickstand platform merely hold it in place. No significant force applied on an already tiny fastener where stainless would be an issue.

The fastener's strength in either of these applications is negligible.

Thanks!
Cris
Old 05-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #141
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Who gave you that price?
My guy, ;)
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #142
fridgyis
Fridgy

Oddometer: 49
990 mods

I have the same bike and am well on my way with mods as well. Here is my two cents worth.

Steering damper: fastway made by Pro Moto Billet. Plus it gives you a small rise of just over an inch.

Heated grips: I used the symtec ones but wired in an Oxford controller for better control of level of heat. Also wrapped the clutch side with shrink tube so the heat does not get sucked away.

Fork springs: put in heavier springs as stock ones way too soft.

Wiring: I wired in an aux panel under the seat with a relay switch. This way all the accessories will be fused from there and easy to access. I used a blue sea panel with a negative bus, 6 circuit.

Cruise control: not sure what I will do here. Electronic would be nice but I will need to look into this further.

Foot pegs: Pro Moto Billet makes a really nice adventure set. They are on the way.

Skid Plate: Black Dog for sure. Had this on m previous 950. I cased out on a huge rock once and bent the thing so bad it was hard to remove....but no engine damage. Straightened it out with a sledge hammer.....amazing protection!

Handle bars: CR high rise .....stock bars are very swept and not my favorite.

Highway foot pegs: this is a must . On m 950 I welded a small triangular piece on the crash bars to bolt a cheap chrome set to. I do not want to weld to the nice orange ones so I am looking for something that will bolt on. Not sure what I will wind up with.

Front brake line: I initially installed a 1/5" Rox Riser bout found the font brake line just a little too short. I will see how it works with the steering damper install when it comes. If it is still too short I will order a custom one from Spieglers.

Wheel set: I have a 19/17 set of woodys wheels for the street. These baby's are amazing. However the side stand may need to be shortened as it is too long when running this set up.

Windscreen: I run stock in the dirt and a larger one for long trips on pavement. Not sure what make it is. Had it on the 950 as well.

Wings pipes: I installed these right away. They sound amazing and run way cooler than the stock pipes.

Luggage: I have 45 liter aluminum tour tech for highway trips but for off road the giant loop is the best. The bike also came with a large rear bag that will strap on nicely. If you need all that space you are packing too much crap.

I'm sure there are other things that will be added in later.

Hope this is of some help.

Now go ride!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #143
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgyis View Post
I have the same bike and am well on my way with mods as well. Here is my two cents worth.

Steering damper: fastway made by Pro Moto Billet. Plus it gives you a small rise of just over an inch.

The Emig will work better for me. The triple trees I have enroute have a 3.25" rise. I'm a tall lad, lol!

Heated grips: I used the symtec ones but wired in an Oxford controller for better control of level of heat. Also wrapped the clutch side with shrink tube so the heat does not get sucked away.

I'm tall, but skinny. I rode it pretty hard and fast through some good woops, much, rocks, etc today and never smacked it once. Coming down from a big wheelie bottomed the springs out though. Might put 50's in, might not. I even had it airborn, and not like 4 inches, but a couple of feet and at speed and I didn't bottom anything out. It pays to be skinny sometimes. You can go faster for less $$$!

Wiring: I wired in an aux panel under the seat with a relay switch. This way all the accessories will be fused from there and easy to access. I used a blue sea panel with a negative bus, 6 circuit.

Meh... I don't like to put a lot of things on my bike. 1x12V and my GPS is sufficient for my needs even when touring.

Cruise control: not sure what I will do here. Electronic would be nice but I will need to look into this further.

Just say no to cruise. Get a $9 throttle rocker. Works just fine.

Foot pegs: Pro Moto Billet makes a really nice adventure set. They are on the way.

I will never use billet or alloy pegs again after a few sets I had a few years ago gave out under me. Get steel.

Skid Plate: Black Dog for sure. Had this on m previous 950. I cased out on a huge rock once and bent the thing so bad it was hard to remove....but no engine damage. Straightened it out with a sledge hammer.....amazing protection!

I like the Weld86 plate better and I got the SS relocation bracket thrown in too.

Handle bars: CR high rise .....stock bars are very swept and not my favorite.

I'll have a 3.25 rise on my TT's so I need to wait till they arrive before making a firm decision on height. The sweep of the stockers make my hands sleep when on tight trails though so they gotta go.

Highway foot pegs: this is a must . On m 950 I welded a small triangular piece on the crash bars to bolt a cheap chrome set to. I do not want to weld to the nice orange ones so I am looking for something that will bolt on. Not sure what I will wind up with.

I try not to do a lot of highway cruising, lol! If I do I'll put some clamp-on types on the crash bars.

Front brake line: I initially installed a 1/5" Rox Riser bout found the font brake line just a little too short. I will see how it works with the steering damper install when it comes. If it is still too short I will order a custom one from Spieglers.

Once my TT's are on i'll do a custom line setup.

Wheel set: I have a 19/17 set of woodys wheels for the street. These baby's are amazing. However the side stand may need to be shortened as it is too long when running this set up.

Windscreen: I run stock in the dirt and a larger one for long trips on pavement. Not sure what make it is. Had it on the 950 as well.

I don't know why so many people don't like the stock screen... ? You're the only other guy I've heard say it's ok. I rode all day today and didn't notice a damn thing wrong with it, lol! Stock for trails, TF5 for touring.

Wings pipes: I installed these right away. They sound amazing and run way cooler than the stock pipes.

The FMF's I have on now are pretty nice... But no db killers for longer trips. I am making some nice plugs tonight though,

Luggage: I have 45 liter aluminum tour tech for highway trips but for off road the giant loop is the best. The bike also came with a large rear bag that will strap on nicely. If you need all that space you are packing too much crap.

45's are much too big imo... I had 41's on my Dakar and I thought they were too big. The 37's I have now are huge too... Too much space means you pack more cause you fill it with stuff, lol!

I'm sure there are other things that will be added in later.

Hope this is of some help.

Now go ride!
I've actually updated the first thread a few days ago, ;)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 10:04 PM
Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #144
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Dirty sonofa...

I think I might nik my bike and call it "Perv". It makes me want to misbehave... ALL the time! Not too much to be said about today other than what a glorious day it was! Sun, water, mud, dirt, gravel... GIGGIDY!

Went out with my buddy that bought the Dakar off me and we had a blast. Got a few things done to the bike last night after getting home from Albania. Took those retarded cats off and plunked the FMF's on. Wow, sounds like a beast now, lol! The are much better than the stock junk. Lighter by a LONG shot and much cooler. Didn't seem to affect the AF much, but it does seem to stumble a bit more at 3K revs or lower. I'll try the powertrips map when my cable gets here. Swapped the 908's off for a TKC80 front and a Scout rear because I plan to actually see a fair amount of pavement next week. Turns out it's a pretty damn good combo on the bike! Super on pavement, better than average in the dirt and mud and just about perfect for gravel imo. I'm of the mind that the rider makes more of a difference than the tire though.

Just about 700kms on her now. I may or may not drop the fluids early. Depends if my buddy can get out for another ride on Monday or not. He's got major gf agro now after today though, lol!

To update on my Baja head-shake. It's gone. It was gone yesterday before I changed the tires. I cannot urge everyone with a new 990 enough to set the damn forks up. I can stand up at 60mph, let go of the bars, nothing happens. Hit the bars? A tiny wobble, then nothing. Land a nice wheelie? Nothing. It's like it never existed. Now with the TKC on the front it hardly moves at all unless I move it. It's rock solid... and smooth as silk. Oh, and the TKC is only on there because I'm still waiting on a batch of T63 to come in for next week. I figured I could do an actual mileage test and form my own opinion of a tire I've refused to use over the years because I've heard bad things about it. So far? Not the best, but certainly a lot better for some things than other. The mileage I get out of it will be the big test.

Forks - I may not stretch them now... I dunno... Probably will. Maybe, maybe not. I dunno. More important I spend that money on some proper skinny rims first. I don't like paying 150 size tire prices, lol! I can see going through EASY 3-5 rears per year the way I ride so I will get the savings back in no time.

Time to go take the bike apart and wash it up nice and fit some parts. New euro light swap, swap that piddly horn for a 12V Stebel and some odds and ends. Fun! Borrowed a G2 throttle cam too, gonna try to get rid of the snatch in the low rpm's... I was really getting sick of that on the single track and rutted/rocky quad trails as the day wore on.

Glamor shot of Perv's a$$:

Yes, I know my garage is tiny... But I make do with what I've got. I'd rather ride, buy tools, work on bikes and enjoy my hobby than house hunt for a place with a big garage, lol!

(no one answered for walkthroughs or pictures etc so screw it. I'll just enjoy the quiet wrench time with my girl and leave the camera inside, lol!)
Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #145
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,721
Skip the rims.
Skip the exhaust.
Skip the doo-dads.

Do the suspension.

Really.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #146
Cris
AB+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgyis View Post

Please expand on this.

How much do you weigh?

Dirt? Tarmac?

I am 160 pounds and any off-road would be fairly mild.

Thanks!
Cris
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #147
Ryno041
Do it! You won't...

Oddometer: 44
Suspension Update

So here is the Deal....I too have a '13 baja. As promised here are the options from PC.
Dropped it off at Preceison Concepts the other day with interest in gaining more travel, and springing/ valving for my weight and style (6'1, 190lbs, expert). Diane called me friday evening to give me my options.
Stock travel is 210mm = 210mm = 8.27in
ADV R option +55mm = 265mm = 10.4in
PC Option 1 +66mm = 276mm = 10.86in
PC Option 2 +91mm = 301mm = 11.85in

What to do, what to do?....
Ryno041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #148
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Please expand on this.

How much do you weigh?

Dirt? Tarmac?

I am 160 pounds and any off-road would be fairly mild.

Thanks!
Cris
You weigh less than I do and if you aren't pushing the bike I'd say leave it stock, tune the front to sport and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno041 View Post
So here is the Deal....I too have a '13 baja. As promised here are the options from PC.
Dropped it off at Preceison Concepts the other day with interest in gaining more travel, and springing/ valving for my weight and style (6'1, 190lbs, expert). Diane called me friday evening to give me my options.
Stock travel is 210mm = 210mm = 8.27in
ADV R option +55mm = 265mm = 10.4in
PC Option 1 +66mm = 276mm = 10.86in
PC Option 2 +91mm = 301mm = 11.85in

What to do, what to do?....
I'm sure there are suspension threads where you guys could discuss, :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Skip the rims.
Skip the exhaust.
Skip the doo-dads.

Do the suspension.

Really.
I know, I know... I'm just putting off the inevitable, lol! I am going to really make up my mind after my little shakedown trip. 4-5000kms should help me decide how much more I need/want out of the suspension. Cheers!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #149
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Well, after ripping her down to almost the frame and learning a lot more it's together again for it's last rip today before I drop the fluids tomorrow.

I'm going to leave the major front end work/suspension work until I get home and have a more formed opinion on these forks. Canisterectomy, SAS-ectomy and anything major will happen post-shakedown ride as I don't much like missing a ride due to finding out something is screwed up a day before I leave, lol! I'm really happy with how stable and solid front end is now. G2 throttle cam did the trick for that snatchy throttle response, doubletake mirrors are nice (but I think once I get my HDB handguards and mirrors on I will just use them), and I'm still happy enough with the stock screen.

When I get back from the ride there will be a bit longer of a list of things getting done, but for now I need to ride it to realize just exactly what needs to be changed,

A sticker for the masses!

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 09:41 PM
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #150
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Finally ticked over 1000kms (lol, finally... I've only really had it to ride for 3 days!) and tomorrow will be oil change and tear down day. Nothing major going to happen other than service though as I'll be heading to Montana Thursday, then West to Spokane for a night at a buddies place, Seattle the next night to another buddies place and then catch a ferry up to Victoria. My Dakar buddy is going to meet me on the island as we both have friends there and I'm also going to visit some family too, :) Maybe a few days of camping before heading to Edmonton and then home.

My weekend started with this:

New rubber and a 45th rear sprocket. Much nicer for tight trails.

These FMF's are nice, but a touch noisy on the highway for longer rides. Ear plugs are my best friend. The Wings will be nice with the db killers for touring.

Picking it's brain and dropping in a Euro headlight:

Canisterectomy

And back together for a Monday ride!

The bits and pieces I've swapped or changed are adding up and I'll compile a list soon and probably add or edit the first post to reflect.

Got to play in a lot of gravel today... Stupid GoPro battery was dead though, :( Meh, just as well. I was enjoying the ride too much to give a crap about taking pics or video, lol! Here's a few snips.

Cheers!

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 11:40 PM