User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #151
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Weeping Clutch Slave

One quick question about really the only gripe I had about the bike this weekend over 800+kms of dust, mud, gravel, dirt and pavement... My clutch slave seemed to be "weeping", but it was not from the banjo nor the actual slave housing. From what I could see it looked like it was seeping out from underneath the little rubber booty on the nipple? I'm not too worried about it as the fluid level is fine in the reservoir and mineral oil is pretty easy to find where I'm going on my trip. I think it's probably just a break in thing and maybe there was some oil in the nipple when the bike got built or something...? I didn't think I ran it that hard and I wasn't feathering the clutch a whole lot when on the trails (I was too busy mashing the throttle and roosting everything within sight!). I'm not going to worry about it too much, just wondering if a weeping clutch slave nipple (lol, that sounds pretty funny...) is common or not. It won't matter in a week anyway as the Oberon is going on as a hard part upgrade.

Cheers!

*Edit: The clutch isn't dragging, works perfect and I don't notice anything out of the ordinary when shifting either which is why I'm not overly worried. I will keep my eye on it though.
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #152
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

One other thing I noticed too... (I keep thinking of things, lol! This last 3 days has been a whirlwind and I'm still not over the 8 hours of jet lag yet) The stock pegs are CHEWING the bottoms of my boots because they just aren't long enough. They feel wide enough, but I can hardly wait for CJ's box(s) of goodies to get here so I can bolt the extensions on 9and a proper bash plate... an uphill climb through a boulder field got interesting yesterday). I spent probably 2/3rds of the time riding the last 2 day trips (roughly 12-14 hours/800+ kms) standing and a lot of it was pretty aggressive rocky sections, muddy/slick woops and rutty quad trails. It doesn't surprise me about the boot soles as I tear up boots anyway, just wishing I had more "power" in my feet so the inside of my legs didn't have to work so hard.

On a side note, the nice white finish of the bike is gone where my knees hold the bike, lol! In it's place is a beautiful patina of orange/brown mud stain that will NOT come off... I like it!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #153
wheeler23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Tires and Canister

How do ya like the new tire set up? Much better than the stock knobbies?
Also what does the canister removal help with performance wise? Did you have to do any programing or rewiring? Been following your thread..... My new Baja is at the dealer getting set-up.... hopefully get it by the weekend
wheeler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #154
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler23 View Post
How do ya like the new tire set up? Much better than the stock knobbies?
Also what does the canister removal help with performance wise? Did you have to do any programing or rewiring? Been following your thread..... My new Baja is at the dealer getting set-up.... hopefully get it by the weekend
Loving the new tire combo, :) Don't get me wrong, it's not my first choice for an off road combo... Not by a long shot, but I needed to make a compromise because these tires are gonna see more than 50% pavement probably, :( The 908's are nicer for dirt, but that rear rim is still too big for 130's and 140's. The bike behaves more naturally with a 150 on the big rear rim and until I get Woody to make me a 130 rear I'll stick with 150's on the back.

Canisterectomy does absolutely nothing but shed a few pounds of garbage that should never have made it onto the bike in the first place, lol! Nothing to do there but blank a few hoses, route the breather hoses from the tanks properly and ride it like you stole it, ;)

Congrats on the new bike!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #155
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Loving the new tire combo, :) Don't get me wrong, it's not my first choice for an off road combo... Not by a long shot, but I needed to make a compromise because these tires are gonna see more than 50% pavement probably, :( The 908's are nicer for dirt, but that rear rim is still too big for 130's and 140's. The bike behaves more naturally with a 150 on the big rear rim and until I get Woody to make me a 130 rear I'll stick with 150's on the back.

Canisterectomy does absolutely nothing but shed a few pounds of garbage that should never have made it onto the bike in the first place, lol! Nothing to do there but blank a few hoses, route the breather hoses from the tanks properly and ride it like you stole it, ;)

Congrats on the new bike!
does the canister removal require any resistors or anything to trick the bike into thinking it's still there?
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #156
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
does the canister removal require any resistors or anything to trick the bike into thinking it's still there?
No, you're thinking SAS. I will be doing that when I get home from my trip along with new spark plugs.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #157
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No, you're thinking SAS. I will be doing that when I get home from my trip along with new spark plugs.
so it's literally pull the cannister off and re route the hoese etc?

dont you have to also remove the cannister vacuum pump? and doesnt that require a resistor?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #158
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

First fluid drop

Well, to start with, I really didn't think it was all that time consuming or difficult to do an oil change on the 990. Work on a Ducati or any sport bike really and then tell me how easy an oil change is, lol!!! I'm glad it was less work than I thought. While I had the bike taken down I figured it was a good time to do some odds and ends. Still have a few left like removal of the SAS and iridium plugs, but that can wait until I get back from the trip.

So, yesterday I started off my day with getting insurance and a plate for my 450 EXC-R, dropping some clothes off at Goodwill, picking some things up at Purolator, picking a buddy up, dropping off paperwork at my shop and then it was off to do some moto-shopping, lol! Found some odds and ends I needed like new grips, moto boots and a stand for the 450, won a bet against my buddy which cost him lunch and then I stopped by the lumber yard... and then made myself a bench finally!

I'm definitely a happier camper. I basically sacrificed 25% of my oh-so-tiny garage, but it's SO nice to have a surface to work on!!!

After that was finished I figured I better get cracking on the bike. Departure in less than 48 hours and nothing was done! Apart she came!

Now, this being the first time I've had a KTM in my garage and most importantly, the first time I've started a 990 tear-down, I was going slow, being thorough, taking mental inventory of every nut and bolt, taking a few minutes longer looking at things than I normally would, etc... I was familiarizing myself with a new bike. I started tear down at about 5pm. After the body work and tanks were off and I took stock of all the wires and hoses I noticed that in only 1100kms there was a fair amount of dust in my snorkel...

So, upon further investigation this is what the air filter looked like. Remeber, only 1100kms... Looks like I will need a pre-filter for sure. Anyone know if Adventure Spec has any in stock yet? Or has Pyndon stopped making the pre-filter? (New on the left)

Had a bit of a brain fart when first opening the air box... I kept going, "Why won't air filter just lift out?". I have no excuse... It was a solid derp moment.

The oil change was an oil change. I don't take pictures of oil changes usually because my hands are, well, oily, lol! Fired the bike up, warmed all the fluids, shut it off and drained it, checked the screens, changed the filter and cleaned the magnets. There was a fair amount of clag on the oil tank magnet, but not much on the sump magnet. Next to nothing on the screens except a bit of locktite. This is the oil tank drain plug/magnet.

Buttoned her back up, put 2.5L in and got cracking on some other projects on the bike. I really wanted to mount my 3BR TAPP UBS cable, but until I get the front end sorted with the Emig I'm just going to leave it. I really hate rerouting things, lol! I did, however, get the second fan installed which was pretty easy at this stage of dis-assembly. I think I took it off once after the pic and rotated it 90 degrees. The wires were to close to rubbing on something metal, yuck!

More rewiring in the front end. Turns out I will be using a different GPS for this ride. I'm not sure it will be as good as my Zumo 550, but it has a few things that trump the 550... When I have a better opinion of it I'll do a write up.

After that it was sleepy time... Nearly 1 am when I finished. My roommate was kind enough to have made pork, spinach salad and grilled asparagus even... I spent a lot of time staring at things on the bike to memorize them, reading torque values out of the manual, doing a lot of things twice... lol! The oil change itself I bet I could do in 2 hours from tanks on to tanks back on. It's really not that much more work aside from the tanks and glove box.

Things I did last night (yes, I need to make a cumulative list soon and add it to the first or second post):

- quick connects in the fuel lines (Nice stainless, no plastic)
- oil change
- air filter change
- rewired GPS harness
- wired in second fan and mounted it
- dielectric grease on all fuses and electrical behind the bash plate
- new throttle grip (I wrecked the stock one trying to take it off the old tube, lol!)

- cleaned my roommates K&N for her Lancer... (like my time crunch isn't tight enough, lol!)

I will need to run the bike a bit today and make sure everything is put back together properly as tomorrow is my departure day. Off to Montana!

Cheers!

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 11:16 AM
Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #159
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
so it's literally pull the cannister off and re route the hoese etc?

dont you have to also remove the cannister vacuum pump? and doesnt that require a resistor?
SAS is pumps and resistors.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287278

Check that thread for more info on the short version of the canisterectomy on a 990, :) I've left a few things on like the little pump at the front and just blanked off the hoses that needed to be blanked until I do a full SAS-ectomy. Cheers!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #160
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

So I picked up a brand new 2012 in blue last night. Got a great deal on it. And all I can say is wow. It's so much better than I imagined. I thought my gs adventure was amazing but this is a different league. But you're wrong. Blue is faster. :-p

Anyway, more about mine later.

Does you baja have the euro headlight switch? The one in Blackfoot does, and I was hoping mine would too but no luck.

Do you like/use the extended luggage plate to strap the soft bag to? Riding my new one home last night I did find the area to strap the bag a bit small and had to strap it down to the grab handles and over the seat to keep it secure and not touching the pipes.

Also does anyone know which power supply the oem ktm heated grips use (the plug and play ones with 4 settings) because I hope it's not acc2 as I want that for a GPS.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #161
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Hey - congrats on your new bike but at the risk of bursting bubbles and pissing on people's parades, I have to inform you guys that Black is fastest; its the one with the big orange "R" on it :)

I have the Euro headlight but decided that I didn't need or want the Euro headlight switch - not sure why you want it or what you want to use it for but for me, managing auxiliary lights with a separate switch (I used the HDB top clamp and switches) was the answer for me. I can say though that the Euro headlight is lightyears better than the POS North American headlight assembly and I haven't even installed my HID kit into mine yet. As for the OEM heated grips, regardless of whether you use ACC1 or ACC2 (switched with ignition or unswitched), you should still be aware of their draw (amperage) against what that particular circuit is rated for. I haven't installed heated grips yet but when I do, I will use a relay fed from battery power and switch the relay with ignition power source so there's no risk to leaving them on when the bike is off. I have purchased a Centech AP2 fuse block to help me organize accessory power requirements though I won't have many; heated grips, GPS, auxiliary lights, heated vest/clothing and maybe rear-facing laser :)

Quote:
So I picked up a brand new 2012 in blue last night. Got a great deal on it. And all I can say is wow. It's so much better than I imagined. I thought my gs adventure was amazing but this is a different league. But you're wrong. Blue is faster. :-p

Does you baja have the euro headlight switch? The one in Blackfoot does, and I was hoping mine would too but no luck.

Do you like/use the extended luggage plate to strap the soft bag to? Riding my new one home last night I did find the area to strap the bag a bit small and had to strap it down to the grab handles and over the seat to keep it secure and not touching the pipes.

Also does anyone know which power supply the oem ktm heated grips use (the plug and play ones with 4 settings) because I hope it's not acc2 as I want that for a GPS.
Thanks
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #162
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:

Thanks
Congrats!!!

Yes, all of the Baja 2013's have the euro switch gear. It's because the 2013's come stock.with the hid spots. Mine even has a euro headlight to go with it now, lol!

I don't use the luggage plate. I never did on the Dakar either. I don't like the sharp edges and how I pack I don't need a lot of support. I pack really light, lol!

No idea which power supply though dude... I don't have heated grips, but will later in the year, :)

Off I go on my trip! Yay rain and frigid temps... Should be an.interesting ride through the mountains, hahaha!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #163
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Hey - congrats on your new bike but at the risk of bursting bubbles and pissing on people's parades, I have to inform you guys that Black is fastest; its the one with the big orange "R" on it :)

I have the Euro headlight but decided that I didn't need or want the Euro headlight switch - not sure why you want it or what you want to use it for but for me, managing auxiliary lights with a separate switch (I used the HDB top clamp and switches) was the answer for me. I can say though that the Euro headlight is lightyears better than the POS North American headlight assembly and I haven't even installed my HID kit into mine yet. As for the OEM heated grips, regardless of whether you use ACC1 or ACC2 (switched with ignition or unswitched), you should still be aware of their draw (amperage) against what that particular circuit is rated for. I haven't installed heated grips yet but when I do, I will use a relay fed from battery power and switch the relay with ignition power source so there's no risk to leaving them on when the bike is off. I have purchased a Centech AP2 fuse block to help me organize accessory power requirements though I won't have many; heated grips, GPS, auxiliary lights, heated vest/clothing and maybe rear-facing laser :)
Yeh I'll be getting the euro headlight ASAP. But riding in the dark last night I thought the stock headlight was better than I expected after all the bad reviews. Certainly better than the dakar.

Well acc1 is powering the power plug and I want to keep that. And acc2 is switched so I want that for the GPS. The ktm grips are plug and play so I'm wondering if there's a 3rd supply just for them? Because I don't want to give up either of the other two.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #164
crunchiespg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Congrats!!!

Yes, all of the Baja 2013's have the euro switch gear. It's because the 2013's come stock.with the hid spots. Mine even has a euro headlight to go with it now, lol!

I don't use the luggage plate. I never did on the Dakar either. I don't like the sharp edges and how I pack I don't need a lot of support. I pack really light, lol!

No idea which power supply though dude... I don't have heated grips, but will later in the year, :)

Off I go on my trip! Yay rain and frigid temps... Should be an.interesting ride through the mountains, hahaha!
Yeh I don't plan on panniers. Just use my ortlieb rack bag. But the strap locations as stock are too small.

Wanna sell that plate then?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #165
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
My KTM rear rack (I have the same one that the Baja comes with) is perfect for my Kriega US30 or US20 bags a d anytime I use my large duffel, it's with my panniers mounted so I've got more width to work with.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote