Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #181
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
I just helped a buddy install Touratech racks and panniers on his 990 Adventure. Robust bracket design and the panniers are tucked in close to the bike. They are angled forward a bit and not horizontal to the ground. They do not interfere with the passengers legs. We haven't installed the top box yet.

2011 KTM 250XC with lots of protection stuff for when I bounce it down a hill.
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #182
wheeler23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
I just helped a buddy install Touratech racks and panniers on his 990 Adventure. Robust bracket design and the panniers are tucked in close to the bike. They are angled forward a bit and not horizontal to the ground. They do not interfere with the passengers legs. We haven't installed the top box yet.

Do you know if a full face helmet will fit in the top box? Thanks!

KTM 990 Baja Edition, KTM 250SXF, KTM 150XC
wheeler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #183
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler23 View Post
Do you know if a full face helmet will fit in the top box? Thanks!
Depends on the brand and dimensions. Your best bet is to get internal dimensions of the box and then measure your helmet. Or better yet, find someone close to you with the top box you like.

2011 KTM 250XC with lots of protection stuff for when I bounce it down a hill.
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #184
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler23 View Post
KaptinKaos, How do you like the KTM hard bags you installed? Will the side boxes interfere with a passanger? Do you have the matching top box? Will a helmet fit in it? Any good pic's of the bike with them on it? I know lots of questions right???? Lookin to get those same bags for mine?
Sorry for the tardy response... Was a few hours north visiting family for the weekend and been tinkering in the garage since I got home this morning.

Love the hard bags. Waterproof, small, yet big enough for my packing and not a hindrance to a passenger. I don't have too many passengers, but there's plenty of leg clearance. No top box. I pack my clothes and assorted things in an 80L Ortlieb dry bag that goes over the back seat instead of on a rack. The top box is 48L I believe and may fit a helmet, but I'm not sure...
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #185
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

I played hooky from the 990 on Saturday too... Had the 450 out for it's first play time.

A short GoPro vid of some tame stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax0MY...ature=youtu.be

Man... it was in dire straights! And it still needs a TON of work. It runs now though and stops (kinda). After a helluva good ride which included me doing this to a front sprocket: (new one is on the left)

and limping it the 45kms home like that I dug back into it today... Fixed the trip meter (PO had the 2 wire connector jammed up and the pins were bent... Arg.), pulled the chain, sprockets and rear caliper off and started doing a closer inspection. I wish I hadn't... Need seals, bearings, brake pads, rotors, and possibly a rear master... It's just gonna be like that I guess. Serves me right for buying a used bike sight unseen. Meh, I like projects!

In the meanwhile, I did get the lower brace ground down to clear the skid plate on the 990. Fits like a charm now and man... is that thing ever beefy! I like it! As a treat tonight I'm going for a midnight ride for some greasy food instead of working in the garage for another 4 hours. Also fitted the footpeg extensions, SS re-locator bracket with side stand switch extension (I'll bung it off later when I feel like soldering) and procured myself some bars that I think I will like much better than the stockers. RC High is what I'm going with for the time being. I'm waiting on my heated grips to do that project though... It will involve a complete tear down of the front end with the triples being replaced by my Emig 20mm offset kit. I'm not starting that until I know I have everything I need. Just gonna put some miles on it till my sched leaves on Sunday. I'll try to take some pics and load them up... Just so bloody busy lately. Tomorrow I have two Dakar top ends to attend to also...

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #186
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

I lied about taking a break... Throttle cable, grips, bars, and washed some filters. Maybe a ride in the morning. (If my sprocket is in... if not, the beast is coming out for some rear tire time!)
Old 06-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #187
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Well, I've finally had the big Wampa out for a high speed jaunt and have completely, 100% decided that it needs more suspension. Man, at one point through some whoops and pot hole kinda stuff it sounded like gun fire the suspension was taking such a beating. Granted, I was doing 140+kph over a pretty nasty boulder and hole filled road... My two buddies on their Dakar's were far in the rear even though the 990 210mm suspension was basically maxed out the whole time. I can hardly wait for 265mm and some proper fork valving and beefy springs!!!

Trying to upload a vid of the game we called "Catch the 990", but it's kinda long and was taken from one of the Dakar's so all you really see is dust in the distance. I'll run the same route with the camera on my head soon for a better view of the ride, ;)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #188
desert sky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Awesome thread KaptinKaos! Excellent posts as well. I get my new Baja in Las Vegas next week and this thread has been an excellent preparation read. Unfortunately I will only have a day or two to enjoy it as I will have to return to Alaska until November (job and just too hot for Alaskan blood this time of year). Don't worry though, the bike will join 6 others in my cousin's shop in Pahrump. In the meantime, preparation can begin. Thanks again.
desert sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #189
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sky View Post
Awesome thread KaptinKaos! Excellent posts as well. I get my new Baja in Las Vegas next week and this thread has been an excellent preparation read. Unfortunately I will only have a day or two to enjoy it as I will have to return to Alaska until November (job and just too hot for Alaskan blood this time of year). Don't worry though, the bike will join 6 others in my cousin's shop in Pahrump. In the meantime, preparation can begin. Thanks again.
Thanks man! I really wanted a repository of 990 info like Pyndon's thread is on the 950. The two are related, but very different in some aspects. Congrats on the BEST and MOST FUN bike you'll ever own!!!

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 06:23 PM
Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #190
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Just a vid

This is the road I clipped along at mach 2. The vid is of us going in fairly slow. I was in the rear cause I don't like to lead and lose my guys all the time. Sometimes it's easier and relaxing to lead from the back too, :) Gives me a chance to think and ponder and enjoy the scenery too, haha! The return trip out on this road did not give me the pleasure of pondering anything except taking inventory of my senses and practicing weight shifting, ;) I recall glancing down a couple of times and the speedo was sitting comfortably at 130-150kph the whole way. I really, really, REALLY like this bike!

This is the last bit of it after I stopped to get my GoPro back from one of the Dakar boys as they just couldn't keep up to the 990. Filming a whole lot of dust trail is all it was, :(

Old 06-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #191
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Emig 20mm

Well, spent my last bit of time at home before flying out to work tomorrow wrenching like a fool on the 990, :) Got the front end apart and back together and rideable in under 8 hours including bbqing for friends, lol! I'll go for a rip in the morning before catching my flight to Albania. So glad I got this done now as when I get back I'm off to play in the sand in Oregon!!!

I'll post pics and a summary when I get to Rome tomorrow or in to work a few days later. Cheers!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #192
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Well, the quick little rip down some back roads close to home this morning proved why I wanted to do this already. It's much more natural feeling, falls a bit harder in a corner and moves quicker under my feet when I want to plant it around a corner. Me likey!!! The damper I'm still opinion-less about, but I haven't had a chance to run it in anything that would necessitate using it. I'm sure it will come in handy in the OG sands,

Off to catch my car and then my flights. I'll start some write ups on the 10 hour flight to Rome, yuck!

Cheers!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #193
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Emig 20mm Triple Trees

Well, here's a little break down on the install. It went pleasantly well and I had zero issues or hiccups along the way. From start to finish I was done in 8 hours including a BBQ for friends so I figure 5.5-6 hours total wrenching time. Yes, that's slow, but I was taking my time on purpose, ;)

The setup:

20mm offset with a Rev 1 damper courtesy of Emig Racing. Paige, thank you very much for delivering as promised and in the config/color that I chose! It's perfect, :) Every part of this triple tree setup screams custom, quality and off road goodness!

Initial tear down:

Pulled all the controls, draped and zap strapped things in place so I wouldn't have to deal with stuff falling off while pulling the forks and inspecting stuff. This didn't take long as the control setup is very simple compared to some bikes I've owned.

Now to swap the ignition:

This was pretty straight forward also. Just drill out the safety bolts on the stock top clamp, install Jeff's little mounting bracket to the new top clamp, bolt on the ignition and re-zap strap the wiring back to the body of the ignition. Bingo bango done.

Next up was to inspect and insure the stem bearing race and seals were good to go:

All seemed in order and I proceeded to pack the new bearing on the Emig lower clamp with my choice of high test bearing grease. You can't really have too much grease here. The seals on the top were in ship shape and good to go. I didn't expect any issues here as the bike is essentially brand new. I've only just clicked over 5500kms and only half of that is off road kms. Not too much super crazy off road either as I am breaking it in a bit more gently than I normally do.

Slapped the clamps on and put the bars in temporarily just to have something to hold onto while slipping the forks in. It also gave me a good idea as to the rise and fit of the controls with the new risers and bars. I think I'm still gonna need another inch or so on top of the 3.75" Emig risers... :)

Forks in:

Damper stem installed:

I did have to source bolts for this and also tap the holes in the frame as they were full of paint from the factory. No biggy, but glad I have a full toolbox of things I need for projects like this. After buying a heli-coil set and tap/die set a few years I tell everyone I know that wants to wrench on their own bike to have a tap/die at the minimum. It's great for removing old loctite, paint in threads and dirt build up. It's nice peace of mind when running new bolts in too that there's nothing to bung it up. :)

Another thing to note is that a few of the stock bolts and even the stem clamp bolt on the Emig were SAE, not metric... I changed every bolt that was SAE for a metric bolt to save me from having to carry another stupid allen head socket in my toolkit. I like to be minimal when it comes to that and having everything metric is just easier for me.

Sucked up the steering stem bearing to where I thought it should be (find the resistance of the bearing and then back it off 1/4 turn. Cinch up the clamp on the stem and proceed with the rest of the install.). You will be tightening and loosing a lot of bolts throughout this stage as you can't just bolt everything up and call it good. Everything will need to settle into it's proper place and proper torque. I also threw the wheel and brakes on now and tightened up a single axle bolt on each fork just to keep everything in place while I put the controls back together.

Tada!

Once it was all back together (except the hand guards) I rolled it around the lot and jumped on the brakes a few times to settle the front end in. It should be noted that the top clamps on the forks were tight (not torqued) and the lower clamps were loose. The steering stem clamp was also loose and the axle clamps were loose. This is important to allow all the parts to properly settle in under a load. After this si done you can proceed to torque everything up. If this step is skipped you can have a whole lot of stress on parts of the front end that will possibly cause problems in the future... A person should then go for a ride (only after ensuring EVERYTHING is torqued ie. brakes, axle, etc) and get some properly good loads on the front end. Then check everything over and re-torque as needed. It may need some adjusting to get everything to seat properly, but after that you should be good to go!

I did have a chance to go for a short rip down one of the fairly rough back roads near my place on the reserve. Initial take on it is that the front end is definitely more unstable on pavement, but not to the point that it wants to have headshake or anything silly like that. It's just a lot more responsive to input and quicker to fall into a corner, :) Off road the responsiveness shines a bit more and it feels more natural to hit an apex in gravel and pin it coming out. Feels more solid under me and more predictable even though the math says it should be more unstable. 2mm of extra offset isn't a lot, but I think it will suit my riding just fine! The damper works very well with a no-dampening-return-to-center. I don't have a lot of sand near my place so I will have to leave that verdict until I visit OG in a month or two.

All in all this seems like a justifiable expense for me on this bike as I will definitely be able to take advantage of it. Is it worth $900 to a rider who spends 70%+ time on pavement? Absolutely not. There are cheaper options like the Scotts combo which only replaces the upper clamp. I went this route because I wanted a dirt style damper and the offset. I like the black finish a lot and it's very non-blingy which is perfect for me. I'm not a big fan of putting stuff on the bike that looks bling unless it has a specific critical function and does it's job well. This TT set that does all that and without the bling look is great!

There was a question of whether or not the HDB top clamp would cover the ignition or hinder putting the key in and out. I can say it clears fine and the ignition has plenty of room to full-lock in both directions. Be careful if you have a keychain on the key though... The spacing between the dash and ignition is tight enough that full lock is hindered if a key chain gets bound up in there. I plan on removing the dash and relocating the display to the HDB top clamp once I fabricate a mounting plate to put it on. That will give me room to install a lot of other things in the dash like a roadbook, SPOT and/or my GPS on a more rigid mount than the TT one that came on the bike. (It's solid enough now that I've added a bolt through one of the arms into the dash, but it's not very rugged just mounted to the plastic...)

Thanks again Paige and Emig!!!!

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 04:05 AM
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #194
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Shakedown RR

Finally started a shakedown ride report... sorry for being slow, lol! It's hard to give up seat time on the bike to write stuff up. I'd rather be at work doing this and getting paid for it, hahaha!

KK's Shakedown Ride Report

Cheers!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #195
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

A run down of some things

Here's a run down of some things I've formed opinions on:

Chain tension - Still yet to get to the bottom of this. I have never had to adjust a chain on any bike this much and yes, I am completely aware of how to properly adjust the tension. It would need adjusting after ~500-750kms when I would notice a bit of chain slap at 65-70mph. I find it odd, but not completely out of the ordinary. The stock front sprocket is a rubber damped style and I'll be changing out for a normal sprocket when it arrives. This is an issue I can live with. I just keep a 10mm and 13mm wrench in my tank bag for ease of adjustment, ;)

Gearing - I geared the bike down from 16/42 to 16/45 for my love of dirt and may go further with it to a 16/48. 16/45 was more than adequate for everything I rode on this trip. I'm not much of a speed demon on pavement and prefer to flex the throttle when in the dirt. The bike seemed to run fine at 70mph/4800rpm on the highway and no matter the cruising speed I was seeing 38-41mpg. That leads me to think it's running a touch on the lean side, but until my TuneECU cable comes in and I can load the powertripps map it will have to do.

ECU - Not happy still with the snatchy throttle even with a G2 400 cam in... Hopefully the SAS-ectomy and a new map will further help this. The engine really tries to fall on it's face at ~2800-3200rpm in first, second and third gear. There's probably a really lean spot in the stock map there and it's not a big issue for me when off road as I'm generally keeping the revs up when I ride dirt anyway. It rears it's ugly head when moving slowly in traffic though and is mildly disconcerting when in a parking lot. 500 lbs lurching around like a zombie at 10mph is annoying to say the least... My wings will be in when I get back from work and so will my blanking plates!

Tires - The Heidenau Scout rear is becoming more and more a good 60/40 or 70/30 even dirt/pavement tire for me. I don't mind a little less traction on the rear compared to the front and it usually lends itself to keeping me out of trouble too, lol! It performed GREAT in cold, wet, dry, sand, gravel and is wearing very well even with a lot of wheelies and heavy handed riding. The TKC80 front, on the other hand, will be a tire I never mount again. There are much better options out there for a mostly dirt tire. I'm not a fan of how squishy the side knobs are, how soft the rubber is (which leads to cupping in very short order) and how close the knobs are which don't clean themselves out as well as other choices like a T63, 606 or 908. I'm very biased in that I will take a tire that performs better in dirt over a tire that like pavement more, but the TKC falls short on both surfaces for me and costs more than the others.

Luggage - Loving the hard bags for these pavement rips with a bit of back roads thrown in. Smaller than the TT cans I used to have (37L vs 41L) and the tops seems to seal much better. Black isn't ideal for heat, but waterproof is king so I'll live with black. They are also much lighter and come off the rack easier than the TT's. All in all, being cheaper, lighter, more waterproof and smaller makes these a good choice for me. Softies all the way for offroad fun though, leave the cans at home if you plan on beating through the rocks and trees, lol!

GPS - Surprise! I swapped the Zumo out for a Montana 600. I didn't get the 650 because I don't need any of the bluetooth stuff nor another camera. It worked very well through all of that rain and snow and the only issue I had with it was when it locked up on me once or twice. A hard reset solved it both times and I carried on. I did have an update since then so maybe the issue has been resolved. Won't know until my next ride. Is it better than the Zumo 550? In some ways, yes. 25 hour battery life, able to use AA's and not just the stock battery, better handheld features, smaller, lighter, still expandable memory, larger internal memory, a bit wider screen, still glove friendly... lots of pros to it over the Zumo's. It doesn't route as well, though, and some of the build-a-route stuff I liked on the Zumo just isn't there on the Montana. Definitely not a deal breaker as it just makes me take more random roads and explore more,

Fuel Mileage - Pffft, who cares?!?!?! If you haven't ridden a 990 and are still concerned about getting 65-70mpg on your BMW then you're just missing out on all the face-splitting grins that a bike like this will give you. Period. Who CARES about fuel mileage when riding is this fun, this comfortable and this AWESOME? I don't anymore. Fwiw, if it got 20mpg I'd STILL be happy with it. My underseat tank will help stretch the range to that of a stock F650GSPD though and that is more than enough for my needs. If I need more in the future then I'll pick up some Safari's for that adventure, :)

Seat - I think if I was 5'6"-5'9" it would fit me fine. It's WAY too short for me though at 6'1", lol! My Renazco might beat me home for my days off though. I really don't like the stepped seat when offroad either... It's literally a major pain in the a$$ when I try to slide back and shift my weight. I'll debate selling it, but might send it off to Renazco to have it reformed also. The one I have coming will be a 2"-3" rise, flat top, all suede thing of beauty! It'll help my leg position a lot. Even with the really low seat I didn't find myself needing highway pegs though. The crash bars are a built in second foot rest and the lack of 1000 mile fuel range means you have to stop for fuel before you cramp too bad anyway... Win win in my book, lol!

Exhaust - The FMF's are great, but they are loud. Once my Wings arrive I'll swap them out just to have the option of throwing the db killers in for those longer highway stretches. It's nice to not have concert ring after a couple of hours, lol! I had the same feature on my Staintune on the Dakar and I loved being able to make it quiet for touring. It doesn't affect the power a lot, just tames the noise. Don't get me wrong, I like being loud, but 14 hours a day + is annoying even if you're a metalhead. I got the FMF's really cheap and I'll let them go really cheap once I know my Wings are on. The FMF's only have 4000kms on them so they're basically brand new. No dings, dents or mars even!

Windscreen - Maybe I'm tall enough to keep my head out of the buffet zone, but I really didn't notice anything too untoward concerning buffeting, etc. Once my TF5 arrives I'll probably cut the stock screen down for off road use. I hate something sticking up that high when riding technical stuff... I see it every once in a while and it reminds me that it will chop my face in half when I smash into it, lol! Again, a future to-do item once a replacement part arrives.