User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #196
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Other bits and things I got done on the 990 while tinkering

Got the CJ's footpeg extensions fitted. Like power steering in my feet! Much more comfortable to stand on too. I don't feel halfway off the peg anymore just to get enough pressure to move the bike around when stand up riding in dirt.

Weld86 skid plate fitted after some minor adjustment to the cross brace. Had to grind a bit off the brace to make the two mate properly. No biggy as long as you have the tools. The bash plate looks and feels bloody indestructible though and has already been tested, lol! Ran over some fair sized boulders and I hardly scratched the powder coating... I'll have to try harder!

HDB top clamp fitted up on some RC high bars. I'm a little disappointed with the fitment of the HDB handguards though... I'll have to tweak the guards a bit and make them fit... I hope. I really like the mirrors inside the handguard and I will find a solution to this problem for sure. :)

Still waiting to be done:

Oil tank line install (oil change before I leave to Oregon in a month anyway)
2nd/3rd gear switch mod
SAS-ectomy (waiting on those blanking plates and some plugs for the resistors)
Completion of canisterectomy (just need to take that pump off)
Suspension hike (210mm to 'S' 265mm - Winter time project as I'll send it to SPS)
'S' center stand and side stand. Not going to mod the stockers, just replace them.
Front high fender (waiting on some brake line guides)
1-2 more inches of rise in the bars
Along with the bar rise I'll re-plumb the brake lines to fit properly (after the suspension is stretched)

And some other stuff I can't remember right now... LOL!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #197
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Got the CJ's footpeg extensions fitted. Like power steering in my feet! Much more comfortable to stand on too. I don't feel halfway off the peg anymore just to get enough pressure to move the bike around when stand up riding in dirt.

Weld86 skid plate fitted after some minor adjustment to the cross brace. Had to grind a bit off the brace to make the two mate properly. No biggy as long as you have the tools. The bash plate looks and feels bloody indestructible though and has already been tested, lol! Ran over some fair sized boulders and I hardly scratched the powder coating... I'll have to try harder!

HDB top clamp fitted up on some RC high bars. I'm a little disappointed with the fitment of the HDB handguards though... I'll have to tweak the guards a bit and make them fit... I hope. I really like the mirrors inside the handguard and I will find a solution to this problem for sure. :)

Still waiting to be done:

Oil tank line install (oil change before I leave to Oregon in a month anyway)
2nd/3rd gear switch mod
SAS-ectomy (waiting on those blanking plates and some plugs for the resistors)
Completion of canisterectomy (just need to take that pump off)
Suspension hike (210mm to 'S' 265mm - Winter time project as I'll send it to SPS)
'S' center stand and side stand. Not going to mod the stockers, just replace them.
Front high fender (waiting on some brake line guides)
1-2 more inches of rise in the bars
Along with the bar rise I'll re-plumb the brake lines to fit properly (after the suspension is stretched)

And some other stuff I can't remember right now... LOL!
where did you get the SAS stuff and canister plugs etc?

i agree with most of your points, but ill be leaving my gearing stock as i'll be more touring than dirt riding..

i went to the KTM dealer in Kelowna on the weekend intending to get the CJ bash plate as they stock them. but they alse had a moto venture one, made locally in kelowna, and its awesome. 6 bolt attachment, perfect fit, and just as heavy duty, perhaps even more than the CJ one.

i'm 5'10" and find that my arai XD3 does not agree with this bike and i get the peak induced drum machine.. but with a non peaked helmet i find the stock wind protection works great for me.. so ill be changing my helmet rather than the bike..

i got my euro headlight, heated grips and stuff this week too, and luckily found somewhere with the extended rear rack in stock.

crunchiespg screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 09:31 AM
crunchiespg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #198
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
where did you get the SAS stuff and canister plugs etc?

i agree with most of your points, but ill be leaving my gearing stock as i'll be more touring than dirt riding..

i went to the KTM dealer in Kelowna on the weekend intending to get the CJ bash plate as they stock them. but they alse had a moto venture one, made locally in kelowna, and its awesome. 6 bolt attachment, perfect fit, and just as heavy duty, perhaps even more than the CJ one.

i'm 5'10" and find that my arai XD3 does not agree with this bike and i get the peak induced drum machine.. but with a non peaked helmet i find the stock wind protection works great for me..

i got my euro headlight, heated grips and stuff this week too, and luckily found somewhere with the extended rear rack in stock.
Yep, if you aren't at the minimum 50% off road and doing something more than a gravel road then stick with the 16/42 for sure. I would leave it 16/42 myself, but I have had the big beast on some gnarly single track and a whole pile of pretty technical double track/men's pro loop at some of my local riding spots west of Calgary. It's why I'm tempted to get a second set of wheels... Stock wheels w/ 16/42 for touring and some skinnies from Woody with 16/48 gearing to ride the mountains. If I ever get my 450's suspension sorted I may ride it more though so I'm holding off until I actually finish that project, haha!

SAS blanking plates can be found many many places. Everywhere from KTMTwins.com to MotorcycleSuperstore. SAS-ectomy is only really if you want to lean the bike off the silly EU emmisions crap. It's not going to give you a lot more power or make it magically wheelie more (as if a 990 needs to wheelie MORE, haha!). If you plan on leaving the exhaust stock then don't mess with the SAS. It's part of having the catalytic converter cans on and you may have issues if you don't do both.

The Weld86 is 4 bolts, just like the stocker. It's very simple and rugged and was a great price, :) I like to support the little guy directly which is part of the reason I chose it. To grind off a couple mm's of aluminum from that brace to make it fit like a glove is really minor to me. I have no complaints about it and would recommend it to everyone!

Dude, ditch that XD3 and get an XD4. I'm not sure what they changed that makes it so much quieter and better, but the new XD4 I have compared to my old XD3 is VAST! At your height you might have your head juuuust in the buffet zone. Might wanna try the cut-down screen or just wear a non-peaked lid if you're not riding a lot of dirt. I prefer a peak for most everything now though just for glare... Lol, I even wear a dirt helmet with goggles on sport bikes. I'm weird though...

Euro headlight is a big improvement over the lame-o North American one we get with that H4 dual bulb. Good choice and it's seriously the easiest part install you'll ever do on this bike. Literally plug and play. I popped out the bulbs of the Euro fixture I ordered and plunked some PIAA white's into it. I like the tone of light better than the mellow yellow of stock halogens and I haven't been able to burn one out yet (except that one I drowned and popped, ha!). I'll add more light to the bike in the coming months or over the winter in the form of Baja Designs marine white Squadron LED's. The HID's that came stock will go up for grabs then. The HID's are actually great and super bright with three settings, but for off road I find them to just be the wrong tone/color for my eyes. I lose depth perception it seems... Not many people have reported such, but everyone's eyes are different and how we all ride is different too, :)

Glad you found that rack! I would have sold you mine, but I'm secretly holding onto it with the hope (fear?) that I'll be riding two up with a girlie on the back soon... Dun dun duuuuuuuuh! LOL!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #199
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, if you aren't at the minimum 50% off road and doing something more than a gravel road then stick with the 16/42 for sure. I would leave it 16/42 myself, but I have had the big beast on some gnarly single track and a whole pile of pretty technical double track/men's pro loop at some of my local riding spots west of Calgary. It's why I'm tempted to get a second set of wheels... Stock wheels w/ 16/42 for touring and some skinnies from Woody with 16/48 gearing to ride the mountains. If I ever get my 450's suspension sorted I may ride it more though so I'm holding off until I actually finish that project, haha!

SAS blanking plates can be found many many places. Everywhere from KTMTwins.com to MotorcycleSuperstore. SAS-ectomy is only really if you want to lean the bike off the silly EU emmisions crap. It's not going to give you a lot more power or make it magically wheelie more (as if a 990 needs to wheelie MORE, haha!). If you plan on leaving the exhaust stock then don't mess with the SAS. It's part of having the catalytic converter cans on and you may have issues if you don't do both.

The Weld86 is 4 bolts, just like the stocker. It's very simple and rugged and was a great price, :) I like to support the little guy directly which is part of the reason I chose it. To grind off a couple mm's of aluminum from that brace to make it fit like a glove is really minor to me. I have no complaints about it and would recommend it to everyone!

Dude, ditch that XD3 and get an XD4. I'm not sure what they changed that makes it so much quieter and better, but the new XD4 I have compared to my old XD3 is VAST! At your height you might have your head juuuust in the buffet zone. Might wanna try the cut-down screen or just wear a non-peaked lid if you're not riding a lot of dirt. I prefer a peak for most everything now though just for glare... Lol, I even wear a dirt helmet with goggles on sport bikes. I'm weird though...

Euro headlight is a big improvement over the lame-o North American one we get with that H4 dual bulb. Good choice and it's seriously the easiest part install you'll ever do on this bike. Literally plug and play. I popped out the bulbs of the Euro fixture I ordered and plunked some PIAA white's into it. I like the tone of light better than the mellow yellow of stock halogens and I haven't been able to burn one out yet (except that one I drowned and popped, ha!). I'll add more light to the bike in the coming months or over the winter in the form of Baja Designs marine white Squadron LED's. The HID's that came stock will go up for grabs then. The HID's are actually great and super bright with three settings, but for off road I find them to just be the wrong tone/color for my eyes. I lose depth perception it seems... Not many people have reported such, but everyone's eyes are different and how we all ride is different too, :)

Glad you found that rack! I would have sold you mine, but I'm secretly holding onto it with the hope (fear?) that I'll be riding two up with a girlie on the back soon... Dun dun duuuuuuuuh! LOL!
yeh ill be ditching the stock pipes at some point, i like the akra's but leaning towards wings just for the price difference. i saw ktm twins had the plates, was just wondering where you chose and how the shipping went etc across the border..

i would try the XD4 as like you i like the peak for the glare etc. but it could be an expensive mistake if it doesnt work. i was thinking of the Signet Q.. the xd3 was fine on every other bike ive ridden, but at exactly 107kmh on the ktm the drums start and are aweful, even through my etymotic earplug headphones which are as quiet as safety plugs. lower speeds if any crosswinds.

the weld 86 is nice for sure, and like you i like supporting the little guy and the kelown guy makes some nice stuff. it was apples and oranges really. the moto venture one uses 2 extra bolts where the rubber lower mounts are on the stock one.

you must ride past my house to get to your riding spots west of the city..

on a side note, have you seen the price of the baja at black foot now, down to less than $15k.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #200
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
yeh ill be ditching the stock pipes at some point, i like the akra's but leaning towards wings just for the price difference. i saw ktm twins had the plates, was just wondering where you chose and how the shipping went etc across the border..

i would try the XD4 as like you i like the peak for the glare etc. but it could be an expensive mistake if it doesnt work. i was thinking of the Signet Q.. the xd3 was fine on every other bike ive ridden, but at exactly 107kmh on the ktm the drums start and are aweful, even through my etymotic earplug headphones which are as quiet as safety plugs. lower speeds if any crosswinds.

the weld 86 is nice for sure, and like you i like supporting the little guy and the kelown guy makes some nice stuff. it was apples and oranges really. the moto venture one uses 2 extra bolts where the rubber lower mounts are on the stock one.

you must ride past my house to get to your riding spots west of the city..

on a side note, have you seen the price of the baja at black foot now, down to less than $15k.
Ah, I see. Talk to Kenny at http://www.alternatecycle.com . He is the Canada side importer for Wings and can hook you up. I believe he has Carbon tipped NOS (Non-oval style) in stock ready to ship at the moment. He also has the blanking plates in stock too, ;) Kenny is good to deal with. Brought me in a special order of non-carbon NOS's. The slow delivery time isn't his fault, it was a special order all the way from Slovenia, lol!

Yeah, if a peak drums like that it's pretty annoying. Cutting the screen down is a cheaper option or getting a moose shorty to try out instead of cutting the stock screen. I prefer clean air on my helmet instead of being hidden behind a windscreen, but not everyone does. I would experiment with windscreen/seating height before spending big bucks.

Ah, yes... Rubber mounts. I've had bad luck on some past bikes with rubber mounted skid pans, but I don't think you beat the crap out of skid pans like I do, lol! If it's 50/50 or less riding I wouldn't worry. Constant hard bashing on boulders I would start to worry.

I might go by your place, but I doubt it. I live basically on the last street/Avenue in the SW. I leave my back door and head through the reserve or down 22X to get out there. I hate riding in the city and actually moved to where I am so I didn't have to ride through town, hahaha! If you're game for some tamer off road a buddy and I are planning on having Thursday night McLean rides again soon with ADSMC/AlbertaDualSport. Been a few years since we did stuff like that, but I love introducing new riders to dirt!

I hadn't noticed the price drop... But I try not to worry about stuff like that. I got the bike I wanted for a price I felt was fair at the time and it's half way through the season now and I've bonded with my big katoom... Who knows, if the price drops more maybe I'll pick it up for a parts bike, ;)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #201
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ah, I see. Talk to Kenny at http://www.alternatecycle.com . He is the Canada side importer for Wings and can hook you up. I believe he has Carbon tipped NOS (Non-oval style) in stock ready to ship at the moment. He also has the blanking plates in stock too, ;) Kenny is good to deal with. Brought me in a special order of non-carbon NOS's. The slow delivery time isn't his fault, it was a special order all the way from Slovenia, lol!

Yeah, if a peak drums like that it's pretty annoying. Cutting the screen down is a cheaper option or getting a moose shorty to try out instead of cutting the stock screen. I prefer clean air on my helmet instead of being hidden behind a windscreen, but not everyone does. I would experiment with windscreen/seating height before spending big bucks.

Ah, yes... Rubber mounts. I've had bad luck on some past bikes with rubber mounted skid pans, but I don't think you beat the crap out of skid pans like I do, lol! If it's 50/50 or less riding I wouldn't worry. Constant hard bashing on boulders I would start to worry.

I might go by your place, but I doubt it. I live basically on the last street/Avenue in the SW. I leave my back door and head through the reserve or down 22X to get out there. I hate riding in the city and actually moved to where I am so I didn't have to ride through town, hahaha! If you're game for some tamer off road a buddy and I are planning on having Thursday night McLean rides again soon with ADSMC/AlbertaDualSport. Been a few years since we did stuff like that, but I love introducing new riders to dirt!

I hadn't noticed the price drop... But I try not to worry about stuff like that. I got the bike I wanted for a price I felt was fair at the time and it's half way through the season now and I've bonded with my big katoom... Who knows, if the price drops more maybe I'll pick it up for a parts bike, ;)
the kelowna one doesnt use rubber mounts, i was just trying to explain where it has the extra 2 bolts. it just bolts where the rubber ones were on the stock plate right in the middle of the plate.

i need a new helmet anyway, my xd3 is getting pretty tired now.. it's a shame you cant demo a helmet for a ride first..

as for the pipes, im not sure if i like the carbon or not!
i like the naked akra oval ones, but the wings i cant decide which i prefer of oval or nos..

yeh i dunno how much the price will drop on that baja.. it makes me laugh at the ones you see for sale used charging more than a brand new cost.. i saw one asking $19500 last week, with 8000km! even at full price you copuld get it for $18k out the door. i guess you have to pay for someone breaking it in for you.. lol
cycle works finally phoned me saying the imaginary recall had been done and they could now sell me the one they had, i told them their messing around had lost them the sale..
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #202
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
the kelowna one doesnt use rubber mounts, i was just trying to explain where it has the extra 2 bolts. it just bolts where the rubber ones were on the stock plate right in the middle of the plate.

i need a new helmet anyway, my xd3 is getting pretty tired now.. it's a shame you cant demo a helmet for a ride first..

as for the pipes, im not sure if i like the carbon or not!
i like the naked akra oval ones, but the wings i cant decide which i prefer of oval or nos..

yeh i dunno how much the price will drop on that baja.. it makesme laugh at the ones you see for sale used charging more than a brand new cost.. i saw one asking $19500 last week, with 8000km! even at full price you copuld get it for $18k out the door. i guess you have to pay for someone breaking it in for you.. lol
cycle works finally phoned me saying the imaginary recall had been done and they could now sell me the one they had, i told them their messing around had lost them the sale..
What size is your head? I wear a medium Arai and if you're the same it's only been worn in almost sub zero so not been sweated in, lol! If it fits you could try it out.

I'm not a big fan of carbon anything myself... I need to replace the exhaust heat shield though with a carbon one nd get a rear heat deflector... So much heat up my arse and leg, lol! I chose NOS for something different and I think the shape suits the bike all angular like. Plus, more surface area for cooling. I love original ovals and have always had that type, but different is good too. :)

I'm serious about buying a second one... although, to be honest, id rather it be an SM! i dont have enough real estate in my garage though so I'm thinking 17" rims for my 450 instead... Cycleworks is actually a decent parts dealer. If/when you need parts talk to Allison and tell her I sent you. She's da bomb!

Dealers are always gonna play price games and try to maximize their profit... I just make sure I'm happy with what I buy and that I'm treated well. If money was my primary issue I'd ride a Sherpa, lol!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #203
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What size is your head? I wear a medium Arai and if you're the same it's only been worn in almost sub zero so not been sweated in, lol! If it fits you could try it out.

I'm not a big fan of carbon anything myself... I need to replace the exhaust heat shield though with a carbon one nd get a rear heat deflector... So much heat up my arse and leg, lol! I chose NOS for something different and I think the shape suits the bike all angular like. Plus, more surface area for cooling. I love original ovals and have always had that type, but different is good too. :)

I'm serious about buying a second one... although, to be honest, id rather it be an SM! i dont have enough real estate in my garage though so I'm thinking 17" rims for my 450 instead... Cycleworks is actually a decent parts dealer. If/when you need parts talk to Allison and tell her I sent you. She's da bomb!

Dealers are always gonna play price games and try to maximize their profit... I just make sure I'm happy with what I buy and that I'm treated well. If money was my primary issue I'd ride a Sherpa, lol!!!
im a large in arai :( thanks for the offer though.

those crazy prices were used private sales.. lol..

yeh i dont like carbon, but the extra surface area is a good reason for the NOS. how long did he say for delivery? i actually emailed wings direct, and they sent me to the canadian dealer who offered me a pretty good price on those in stock ones.

a second one could be a good idea if youve got the change...
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #204
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
im a large in arai :( thanks for the offer though.

those crazy prices were used private sales.. lol..

yeh i dont like carbon, but the extra surface area is a good reason for the NOS. how long did he say for delivery? i actually emailed wings direct, and they sent me to the canadian dealer who offered me a pretty good price on those in stock ones.

a second one could be a good idea if youve got the change...
What about just slapping the new brim on? I could loan you my brim to try... They bolt up the same.

My special order was about 8 weeks, but the in stock would only take days to get to you. Fml is another choice, but no db killers. If you like a bit of rumble you could save $$$ that way.

All of my real life sacrifice and dedication to my career has yielded a surplus in change... m not rich, but single and having fun with some money that doesn't need to be saved or put away, :)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #205
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What about just slapping the new brim on? I could loan you my brim to try... They bolt up the same.

My special order was about 8 weeks, but the in stock would only take days to get to you. Fml is another choice, but no db killers. If you like a bit of rumble you could save $$$ that way.

All of my real life sacrifice and dedication to my career has yielded a surplus in change... m not rich, but single and having fun with some money that doesn't need to be saved or put away, :)
it might be worth a try for sure.. the brim does seem to be the main difference..
id like the xd4 to work as the new orange colour is sharp..

im having to be a bit sensible with cash now, decided to finally give up work and go back to school this fall to follow my dream career, but im gonna be poor for the next few years as a result..
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #206
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
it might be worth a try for sure.. the brim does seem to be the main difference..

im having to be a bit sensible with cash now, decided to finally give up work and go back to school this fall to follow my dream career, but im gonna be poor for the next few years as a result..
School pays off... Trust me. Look at me now!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #207
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
School pays off... Trust me. Look at me now!
yeh, its just been hard mentally walking away from a six figure salary to no salary at all for years, especially with a family.. but in the end it will pay off for sure..

so unless something crazy happens with my uni application i'll be officially a student full time in 3 months..
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #208
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
yeh, its just been hard mentally walking away from a six figure salary to no salary at all for years, especially with a family.. but in the end it will pay off for sure..

so unless something crazy happens with my uni application i'll be officially a student full time in 3 months..
Again, it's worth it in the long run man. I wouldn't change my decision to go back to school for anything. It's paying me forward in leaps and bounds! I can afford to take a year off out of every 3 now which suits me just fine. My clock is ticking on another extended break from work... maybe next year when the bike is dialed in, :)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #209
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Again, it's worth it in the long run man. I wouldn't change my decision to go back to school for anything. It's paying me forward in leaps and bounds! I can afford to take a year off out of every 3 now which suits me just fine. My clock is ticking on another extended break from work... maybe next year when the bike is dialed in, :)
i totally agree, thats why as soon as i get my 100% confirmation ive got my class spot i'll be saying adios to my job of 12 years.
and then the real hard work starts.. lol
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #210
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I ride my 990 almost exclusively with my XD4 (in Explorer white and black colour theme) and I can tell you that it is lightyears ahead of the XD3 in terms of aerodynamics and noise reduction -I don't think what Arai did to it was revolutionary, more of an evolution of their design but it seems to work. I have one AGV helmet (the Rossi Chicken GP-Tech) but everything else is an Arai. Having said that, I am 6'3" and with my stock windscreen on my 990, I still get the dreaded buffeting no matter how much I adjust my helmet. I'd like a windscreen that is better and I absolutely hate the KTM touring screen - maybe cutting mine down by one inch will help. I've seen a million threads on what people have done and used but it's hard for me to determine what works best for my height, etc.

Quote:

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote