Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #211
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
XD4 ...is lightyears ahead of the XD3 in terms of aerodynamics and noise reduction -
Completely agree. Had to adjust my inner speedometer for a while.

Just cut the windscreen. I took about 2.5 inches off and the difference is remarkable.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #212
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I put the carbon screen from inmate Rade on. No more buffeting my head around. Just wind noise. I'm going to experiment and start chopping my stock screen down.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #213
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Wings and a fender

Well, bunch of stuff done yesterday, lol!

Wings came in!!!

And my buddy showed me how to drink beer

It purrs now... Still gonna remap it to the powertripps map as it tries to fall on it's face around 2800-3000rpm. Not too often I ride that range off road, but I want it to run nice all the time, lol! The R map is all well and dandy, but I really don't need extra power. I'm waiting on my 6 pin dongle though... :(

Gratuitous a$$ shot (NSFW)

These I'll post up in the flea market in a bit. 5000kms on them, no dents, dings or scratches. (I haven't crashed this beast... yet.)

High fender:

Also did the 2nd/3rd gear switch mod. Haven't ridden it yet with the mod due to heavy flooding here in Calgary. Tonight I might throw the Oberon slave on, do an oil change, some other goodies. I did go for a ride with the new bars and front end last night though and I'm still liking it, It behaves MUCH more like a dirt bike now. Quicker to turn in, easier to lash the tail end out with a touch of power and much more predictable in the dirt. If you ride a lot of pavement this is probably exactly the opposite of what you want, lol!

Others things that have transpired: Took the suspenders off the 450 and hand delivered them to Lee at Rider's Edge just north of Brooks. Maybe a week for turn around on a complete rebuild, re-valve and re-spring. Such a state this bike is... It's been a fun project though and is closing on completion!!!

It's getting all new white plastics, a six days mexico sticker kit, FMF powercore is here, possibly new Warp 9 rims (yes, I know, cheap... but I'll wreck them anyway so why pay big money?), bars are on, gps cradle on, and now just waiting on my swingarm bearings. I'll worry about lighting and roadbook holder later in the year. Just dying to ride it some, lol!

Plastic goodies!

And a replacement bearing puller for the one I broke trying to get the bearings out of the 450 hubs... Seriously, who lets a bike get into THAT bad of shape that you can't even pull the bearings?!?!?! I went full fat for a bearing puller and no bearing is safe from me now!!!

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #214
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Home Early

P.S. - Lol, I got out of my overseas tour early. Project finished, got home yesterday morning. Priority was working on bikes,
Old 06-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #215
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Would you mind either posting or we don't me a PM with a link to the exact power trip map you are you g to load? I had my local dealer load the 2011 990r Akrapovic map on my bike and despite making decent power, it's bloody awful. - rough, rich as hell even at idle, vibrations, etc. I've got access to a tuneECU cable locally via a friend, I just want to to d a really good, smooth map before I buy a PC-V and spend a bunch of $$$ on a custom dyno tune.

Thanks

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #216
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Would you mind either posting or we don't me a PM with a link to the exact power trip map you are you g to load? I had my local dealer load the 2011 990r Akrapovic map on my bike and despite making decent power, it's bloody awful. - rough, rich as hell even at idle, vibrations, etc. I've got access to a tuneECU cable locally via a friend, I just want to to d a really good, smooth map before I buy a PC-V and spend a bunch of $$$ on a custom dyno tune.

Thanks
About halfway down on the TuneECU page for KTM's under custom maps. Just cntl-f and typer "power" in and it should find it for you. Power-Tripp map for Wings, baffle in and BMC air filter.

http://www.tomhamburg.net/KTM_Tune_list.html

I can't attest to how good it is yet or the fuel mileage. It's just something I want to try over the "R" map that is on my Baja. If I don't see a smooting of the low end rpm range I will load up a stock ADV map and try that. If that doesn't work then I'm afraid I'll have the task of smoothing the low end AF mixture manually, lol! It's ok though. If I do that I will save and upload the map for other to use. I don't plan on changing the air filter from stock, but the wings do let the bike breathe heavier.

The other thing that I may do tonight/tomorrow because of all the flooding and rain here is to tear the 990 down and do the SAS-ectomy and blank off the SAS. I think that might have something to do with the low end roughness... maybe. All that junk is coming off anyway, lol! I like my bike lean and to the point and the SAS isn't doing anything right now without CAT pipes.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #217
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 791
Drinking beer, doubt that will ever catch on !
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #218
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Can you post a pic showing the NOS pipes once its all back together please. Youll have to let me check them out in the flesh too!
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #219
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
Drinking beer, doubt that will ever catch on !
It's way overrated... No, wait, that's marriage I was thinking of. Beer NEVER gets old!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Can you post a pic showing the NOS pipes once its all back together please. Youll have to let me check them out in the flesh too!
This pic shows them from the back, do you want some side shots?

To be honest, from the side you can hardly tell they aren't oval. I really like them now that I see them on the bike and the physical difference of having more surface area is enough to convince me of NOS. These things sound freaking GREAT when you're ripping on it! So good I haven't been out with the db killers in yet to see what they sound like too, lol! I'm game to ride anywhere man. How's the flooding on your end? You and your family safe? I heard Hwy 1 is wiped out and lots of evacuations everywhere... I'm way SW by Spruce Meadows so nothing bad around me. If you wanna see them up close just PM me and I'll shoot you my number and we'll meet up or go for a ride. I'll go take a few pics while the light is still ok.

Some dude pulled up beside me on my way home from a muddy/watery foray out in Tsu Tsina this afternoon and said, "Dude... that thing is sick. Has KTM been making that bike for very long or is it new?" My answer was 10 years and a honkin' arse 1rst to 3rd wheelie, LOL!!! Then I smoked some guy in an SS Camaro that thought he was fast... all this on a DIRT BIKE!

I frackin' love this bike... No really, I mean I really, really, really love this bike. I waited 10 years to have the cash to get one and now I can't stop giggling that it's it's actually BETTER than I could have ever dreamed,
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #220
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Yeh a 45 degree side on kind of shot once the bike is all together would be great.

I'm good for flooding here. On pretty high ground, so would have to be the end of time to get us here. but I've had to work dealing with the floods in Calgary today and all weekend.

Yeh the bike is awesome. I've been away and super busy last few weeks so barely used mine. But that'll change soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
It's way overrated... No, wait, that's marriage I was thinking of. Beer NEVER gets old!!!

This pic shows them from the back, do you want some side shots?

To be honest, from the side you can hardly tell they aren't oval. I really like them now that I see them on the bike and the physical difference of having more surface area is enough to convince me of NOS. These things sound freaking GREAT when you're ripping on it! So good I haven't been out with the db killers in yet to see what they sound like too, lol! I'm game to ride anywhere man. How's the flooding on your end? You and your family safe? I heard Hwy 1 is wiped out and lots of evacuations everywhere... I'm way SW by Spruce Meadows so nothing bad around me. If you wanna see them up close just PM me and I'll shoot you my number and we'll meet up or go for a ride. I'll go take a few pics while the light is still ok.

Some dude pulled up beside me on my way home from a muddy/watery foray out in Tsu Tsina this afternoon and said, "Dude... that thing is sick. Has KTM been making that bike for very long or is it new?" My answer was 10 years and a honkin' arse 1rst to 3rd wheelie, LOL!!! Then I smoked some guy in an SS Camaro that thought he was fast... all this on a DIRT BIKE!

I frackin' love this bike... No really, I mean I really, really, really love this bike. I waited 10 years to have the cash to get one and now I can't stop giggling that it's it's actually BETTER than I could have ever dreamed,
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #221
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Yeh a 45 degree side on kind of shot once the bike is all together would be great.

I'm good for flooding here. On pretty high ground, so would have to be the end of time to get us here. but I've had to work dealing with the floods in Calgary today and all weekend.

Yeh the bike is awesome. I've been away and super busy last few weeks so barely used mine. But that'll change soon.
Just uploading some pics and a vid snip of the armageddon sound they make. Tomorrow is either going to see the bike come apart (again) to a this pile of service/doodads or I'll just ride... When I wake up I'll decide... Just clicked over 5500kms on it and I like to change my oil more frequently than suggested. Best way to prolong the life of a bike aside from clean air filters imho and I'm never scared to ride the rev limiter... must be working so far, :)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #222
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Wings glamour shots: (Pardon the dirt, wasn't gonna wash it till the morning)

And the vid snip. My phone sucks for audio... but I think you'll get the idea, LOL!

Old 06-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #223
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

The pile of dwindling parts on the list... Soon... Lol, still gonna wait till snow flies to pull the suspension off the 990 and send it for a stretch. I don't think I could handle not having it when the weather is nice enough to ride.

Discovered this while re-jetting the 450 and checking valves... arg! Guess a set of TT's is in order. I dye/powdered them too and they have cracks. That's not just anodizing off the fork tubes, it's actually pitted and ringed out... This was after I cleaned them and ran a buff wheel on the inside. Shameful. Meh, this way I can put a 20mm billet set on and a fresh steering head bearing. Off they come tomorrow.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #224
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Well, I almost got that pile taken care of, lol! Almost... Just the Oberon slave to go on now, but until I notice something untoward out of the clutch I'm leaving it be. Fyi, I'm not doing write ups on anything because for the most part all this straight forward or in the HOW or somewhere on the interwebs, but if anyone needs a hand or has a question, feel free to PM me.

Finally got my bark busters from HDB on today... LOVE the clean air all around me now. Took any little disturbance I felt away even though I had no buffeting really before. The mirrors are tiny, but I can manage and I shoulder check a lot anyway. Not too much traffic where I ride anyway, lol!

Also added an extra inch of rise. Finally the bars are where I want them! A total of 4.75" from the top of the Emig trees. Feels fantastic sitting or standing now, :) Had to lose the top clamp for now until I can get some M8x60 Allen bolts to fit the clamp. This works for now and I really don't need the top clamp until I start wiring everything up. This gives me primo access to the damper now too, ;)

Earlier in the day I tore the bike down for some maintenance. Oil change, CJ oil drain hose, SAS-ectomy and finishing the canisterectomy off. Away with you silly smog/pollution crap! (Btw, without removing the oil tank and airbox doing an SAS-ectomy is a mofo... Plan to tear it right down when you do this to save yourself skin, sweat and swears. Trust me.)

And removed that stupid lock on the glove box... For real... who's idea was this glove box anyway? I want one of the old style one piece zeus lock ones. So much easier and better. Who's gonna steal my fuses anyway???

And pulled off the HID's. They weren't allowing me full lock on steering so... Meh. 8" LED bar eventually now I'm sure. Before I get PM's about these, they are spoken for already, :) While I had the bike apart I was going to throw the Iridiums in, but I apparently was sent the wrong plugs... doh.

Had a ride tonight... All of the hesitation at 2500-3000rpm is gone, feels like it is running right now without a remap. I have the medium baffles in the Wings now too, still sounds great, but not overly annoyingly loud, lol! I'm not going to re-map now until I put a couple thousand klicks on it and have a better idea of how it's running. Initial assessment is that the SAS removal has taken the bobble out of the idle and solved my low rpm stumbles. Might be the baffle in instead of out though. I will experiment over the next few weeks with things. Not much else changing on the bike now until the snow flies and I send off the suspension to SPS for a stretch. About the only thing I'm still waiting on is my Renazco seat... Hurry, my bum needs a flat seat to ride on! I really hate sliding back to transfer weight only to run into that ledge, lol! In the seats defense though, it's great for touring, even better if you're short and it's suede so I can't talk too bad about it.

This 990 is really coming together for me... It's a super fun bike to ride, even more fun (take that with a grain of salt...) to work on and the grins I get out of it are the icing on the cake. Oh, 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies are just too much fun.

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #225
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Sidenote: The TKC has a mild speed wobble at 175kph... Not that I would go that fast or anything... Glad I didn't have the 908's on, but they will be on soon. The TKC is cupping bad now and the Scout rear is getting closer to the wear bar... Guess I should use less throttle?

As if.