User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #226
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Wings and Baffles and Results

Well... Got to have it out on some trails in McLean and a decent highway ride to get there too, :) Smiles all around... Just pure smiles. This bike FINALLY feels like it was made for me, lol!!!

1. The bars. Man, do I like these RC High bars. Not too much sweep and I'm still kinda straight armed, but it's perfectly comfortable for me even after an hour or two of boring straight highway. I finally don't feel like I'm reaching forward all the time when standing up now too... That made a world of difference to day on the trails. I could really rip on it, get my weight back when standing and just glide over the rough stuff (until the suspension started bottoming out, lol!) They are very similar to the stocks, but about 1/2" higher and bit tipped up on the end. Is this for everyone? No... This is for TALL riders and for people who intend to be off road as much or more than on pavement. It's definitely a comfort sacrifice for touring slab, but I could care less cause it feels GREAT off road and standing up. 130-140kph standing now on rough roads/double track feels pretty ok.

2. 2nd/3rd gear mod didn't add power, but it sure made both of those gears feel right. The power is linear now and predictable instead of feeling like a VFR's v-tec, lol! Took 5 mins, just do it!

3. HDB mirrors and bark busters. Mint. Just awesome. They don't jiggle on the highway, they don't upset the air around my arms or shoulders or head, the bloody bike looks frackin' amazing with them on... Best part is they fold right inside the handguard when on trails! Pfft, get some!

4. She purrs... so smooth... No need for a re-map anymore. I have had the small baffles in and the medium ones and the bike just bloody purrs now! Starts on the very first turn of the starter and that whole gross mess at 2500ish rpm's is totally gone. I can finally roll through a school zone in second at just under 3000rpm and not look like I'm about to fall off it cause it's lurching about like a drunken camel. Add to that not having to feather the throttle so much on slower 2nd gear trail work and I'm truly happy! I may send KTM that SAS system with a note asking if I could have a refund... lol! I'll run it tomorrow for a hundred klicks or so with the baffles completely out and see if the result stay the same. I will of course do the 15 min idle before testing as I have every change so far.

5. Emig 20mm... still happy. Even happier. I can really plant the front end where I want it now. It does initially give a guy a sense that it's falling too fast, but only because it falls in faster than a stock 18mm.

6. High fender... Either I gotta ride less aggressively or I need to shave some of the fender off, lol! When I bottom the forks out (it's pretty common now that I'm comfy on it off road) the tire definitely touches the fender... I can see rubber marks on the inside back where the vents are and also on the inside of the nose of the fender. It's nothing major and isn't hurting anything, just an observation. No, I don't have the fender shimmed down to fit around the brake lines... I have the brake lines secured in my own fashion and the fender is flush with the bottom clamp.

7. Brake lines on the outside of the forks... they stick out and loop just enough that I am worried about catching them on the crash bars... The top of the crash bar has kind of a knob on it and I may do the old hacksaw job and cut it off so it's flush with the down tube on the front of the crash bar. It's not super serious, but when steering quickly in the woods at 60+kph a guy doesn't want to have his steering lock up like that... trees are hard... and I've done a good job of not destroying this bike in a crash so far. Would hate for an oversight like that to ruin my luck!

On a sidenote... When I dropped the oil yesterday I definitely got less than 3L back... Yes, I pulled the screens and filter and drained everything. In fact, I had dinner while it was draining with the right side of the center stand on a 2x4 even.. I put 3L back in and it all fit right up to about 1/8" below max line after it was warmed up. I haven't measured exactly how much I got back yet, but I will tonight. I'm thinking at the most I got 2L back... probably more like 1.5L. That's a 1.0-1.5L's of oil burnt in a brand new engine in 4000kms... yuck. Is this normal? There could be a reason for this though... When I left to Idaho I had just changed the oil/done service. I personally never saw the coolant system burped and bled, but assumed my dealer had it done properly... after riding all day through the snow and getting to Spokane I noticed the coolant overflow was empty. Lol, I just about freaked out! I let the bike cool over night, popped the cap, fluid was up to the cap... I put some water and coolant in the overflow, closed the lid and rode it. It only sucked up about 10ml... I decided that the dealer must have not burped it completely and it was just an air pocket that finally came out on the first bike long day. It was 0C-10C and raining so the bike never went over 5 bars, lol! The next 3000kms showed no more coolant magically disappearing. I did notice that my plate had a nice brown burnt oil tinge to it which is why I did this service early. Another thing to note is when I pulled the plugs to check them they were perfect brown... not black, not white, just that right color of tan you expect from a healthy motor. No oil in the air filter either nor in the throttle bodies or airbox or anywhere. Nothing in the bash plate. No visible signs of leaks and I checked the torque on every external bolt on the engine just to make sure.

Now, my question is... Where did the oil go? Obviously it went out the exhaust pipe as smoke, but why? Here's to hoping I don't have a lemon motor cause I definitely have overstepped the warranty protocols, lol! Meh, I'll ride it till it sounds sick or just feed it oil all the time. I'll be closely monitoring the oil level every ride and tracking if I add to the system. Could be a break in issue, could be bad rings, could be anything... My OCD is screaming at me right now so I'm off to the garage to measure the oil I dropped out of it yesterday. It was back as tar too! Gotta love wet clutches and trail riding!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #227
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Standing by on the oil measurement.........
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #228
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Standing by on the oil measurement.........
False alarm... I must be getting old or something, lol! I have a fancy new catch can and I underestimated it's volume. I got 2.4L back exactly. Could have been 100cc's or so still in the lines so it really only burnt 500ml.

New question which I'm sure I think I know the answer to... 500ml burnt in 4000kms is acceptable? I do ride my bikes like I stole them... But I don't think I ride THAT hard. I'm not racing it or anything, just having fun! I think it is a bit much and I'm still going to watch the level like a hawk till I change the oil again in 4000kms. There was no clag or crap in the screens either and the filter looked good albeit black. I'm not too worried now as I could definitely see the motor burning that much oil due to how it was behaving having that stupid SAS on there for nothing and how rough it was before. Time will tell with that answer though. Shouldn't take me long to put another 4K on it. Maybe a month or less depending on the weather, lol!

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 07:37 PM
Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #229
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

A sneak peek of the twins...

Couldn't help but add this in... Not putting the rallye front end on the 450 till this winter. A bunch of financial stuff to sort out before I go down that road and get my feet wet in that arena. The two of these bikes definitely look paternal now though, :)

And the sticker pack that's going on it with the stock tank for track days.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #230
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

P.S. - I'm in the market for an "S" side stand and center stand. PM me if you have one to sell or know a good "little guy" place to get one. The less I shop at big box places the better I feel. Money in another rider's pocket just makes me feel good, lol!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #231
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
As for side stands, just buy one new (they're not expensive). If you go higher than my 2012 R, you can get the 2010 R-spec side stand:

http://www.partspitstop.com/pages/EC...%257c%257e0011

The one in the link above is 349mm long, versus the 333mm long on the 2011/2012 R (versus your standard 302mm) but these guys sell the 333mm version if you prefer for about the same money.

The centre stand here is 379mm, again; for the 2010 R if you go that high (I believe the 2010 R had 278mm of travel versus the 265mm travel of the 2011/2012 R) otherwise you can choose a slightly lower centre stand from the 2011/2012 R - not as cheap as the side stand so that's the one you may want to consider either lengthening/modifying or find a used one from an early S or R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
P.S. - I'm in the market for an "S" side stand and center stand. PM me if you have one to sell or know a good "little guy" place to get one. The less I shop at big box places the better I feel. Money in another rider's pocket just makes me feel good, lol!

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #232
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
As for side stands, just buy one new (they're not expensive). If you go higher than my 2012 R, you can get the 2010 R-spec side stand:

The one in the link above is 349mm long, versus the 333mm long on the 2011/2012 R (versus your standard 302mm) but these guys sell the 333mm version if you prefer for about the same money.

The centre stand here is 379mm, again; for the 2010 R if you go that high (I believe the 2010 R had 278mm of travel versus the 265mm travel of the 2011/2012 R) otherwise you can choose a slightly lower centre stand from the 2011/2012 R - not as cheap as the side stand so that's the one you may want to consider either lengthening/modifying or find a used one from an early S or R.

Yeah, I can get an S side stand for like $80 shipped new, but haven't found a cheap-ish center stand. The bike will only be going to 265mm S length. I think that combined with beefier springs should be plenty for my riding. If not, I'll upgrade again in the future, lol! It's beginning to be evident that I need to do this suspension hike sooner rather than later... The inside of the fender is showing wear and tear after only 500kms, LOL! Whoops! Good thing they are cheap, ;)

Finally got around to drilling a couple of holes in the swingarm too, Plenty of water came out of the right side, but only a teaspoon out of the left. Extra weight I don't need to carry around, lol!

Was cleaning the chain and just looking everything over and noticed this on the top of the right side of the swingarm:

Am I missing something? Did something fall off? I can't remember if anything was bolted here and nothing shows in the fiche that I can see... If nothing fell off, wth goes in these holes? If nothing then I'm going to put a bolt in the rear hole and tap the front one and insert a bolt also. Hopefully it's not something important, lol!

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 12:46 AM
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #233
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
That's where the wheel speed sensor cable tie down goes on ABS bikes.

Edit: just drilled mine too. Surprising how much water was in there.

tacosupreme screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 07:51 AM
tacosupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #234
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
That's where the wheel speed sensor cable tie down goes on ABS bikes.

Edit: just drilled mine too. Surprising how much water was in there.

Aha! Cool, that makes total sense. My brain was toast yesterday as I had spent the whole day fiddling with the 450 (valve shims, swingarm bearings, shock bearing, de-smog and more detailed cleaning). I didn't think anything had fallen off, lol! Just wanted to make sure. And holy crap that's a lot of water, lol! Mine is still pretty new though and am glad I did it now. Nothing worse than making a bike heavier than it needs to be without knowing it, lol! I'll plug both those holes with bolts and some red loctite. This bike didn't come with ABS (thankfully) and I'll never put it on.

Cheers and thanks man!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #235
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Aha! Cool, that makes total sense. My brain was toast yesterday as I had spent the whole day fiddling with the 450 (valve shims, swingarm bearings, shock bearing, de-smog and more detailed cleaning). I didn't think anything had fallen off, lol! Just wanted to make sure. And holy crap that's a lot of water, lol! Mine is still pretty new though and am glad I did it now. Nothing worse than making a bike heavier than it needs to be without knowing it, lol! I'll plug both those holes with bolts and some red loctite. This bike didn't come with ABS (thankfully) and I'll never put it on.

Cheers and thanks man!!!
Where does the water get in?
crunchiespg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #236
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
That's the mystery. I haven't submarined my bike ever, so it's not from water crossings. I think it is from the dealer using a pressure washer on it, but who knows. On the non ABS bikes I guess through the open holes as noted above? On my bike, no idea.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #237
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
That's the mystery. I haven't submarined my bike ever, so it's not from water crossings. I think it is from the dealer using a pressure washer on it, but who knows. On the non ABS bikes I guess through the open holes as noted above? On my bike, no idea.
My guess on my bike is for sure those two holes... But there has to be another spot also... Without pulling the swingarm off (which I am NOT doing as I am going through that process with my 450 at the moment...) I couldn't say where.

Check out the stickers, They are sisters now! (TIL that I will NEVER be a vinyl graphics applier for a living... Not super tough, but patience is needed and attention to detail to get it right). First go at vinyls, I think they turned out great!

Btw, don't spend money on a bearing press or similar device. Sure, bearing puller has it's place, but for swingarm or press fit bearings just make yourself one of these,

More de-smogging (both bikes are clean now):

Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #238
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Ok fellow OC`rs... I need you guys to throw your votes to me on which 8 inch LED bar to go with for just under my stock headlight. The stock KTM LED spots had to go due to interference with the new high fender and I really don`t like sticking anything to the sides of the bike. It hasn`t been down yet, but I can guarantee it will be at some point, lol! (I`m even debating taking the crash bars off and putting CF Kevlar skid plates on...)

The choices I`ve looked at so far are Baja Designs, Rigid and Cyclops. I`d prefer to have a kit with mounting hardware to save me some fabrication, but no biggy if it doesn`t. Thanks for your input!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #239
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
I found another place for water to get in... On the left hand side of the swingarm there is a rubber plug in a large-ish hole. I would assume some water will seep in there over time for sure. I don`t have a pic, but if you look you`ll see it. I will be un-bunging that hole and shoving a pressure washer inside periodically to clean any dirt out just like you would on a dirt bike, :)
Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #240
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok fellow OC`rs... I need you guys to throw your votes to me on which 8 inch LED bar to go with for just under my stock headlight. The stock KTM LED spots had to go due to interference with the new high fender and I really don`t like sticking anything to the sides of the bike. It hasn`t been down yet, but I can guarantee it will be at some point, lol! (I`m even debating taking the crash bars off and putting CF Kevlar skid plates on...)

The choices I`ve looked at so far are Baja Designs, Rigid and Cyclops. I`d prefer to have a kit with mounting hardware to save me some fabrication, but no biggy if it doesn`t. Thanks for your input!!!
Baja Designs hands down. They are the only company that actually develops LC8 specific mounts. Plus they are a site vendor and have awesome customer service.