ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #256
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Koocanusa

Still uploading most of the vids, but here's a shorty after I dumped it in a rut twice, lol! The skid plates on the tanks worked a treat and I won't be putting the crash guards back on, :) Stay tuned for more lack luster vids. Was feeling the area out as it was my first time out there and only his second. We're taking the 450's out next weekend to scout some stuff out better. Cheers!

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #257
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

More vids

Here's the original hill climb with some trails before it. Yes, I know I made some pretty obvious mistakes like not having a run up on the hill, etc...

And some sandy trails near our campsite in Koocanusa. This place is a ton of fun!!!

Mostly just having fun and exploring and finding our feet in the sand. First time I've gotten to play on a big machine in sand at all really. It was a ton of fun!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #258
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Couple more from the evening. Loading a pipeline trail we followed for a bit now, but it's a huge file...

Sandy twisty double track

The hill redux

Cheers!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #259
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Well... I'm now beseeching the OC's help. I really, really, really need a pre-filter. This is a pic of my filter after the single weekend I rode in Koocanusa. At $51 a pop I can't afford to replace this every 1000-2000kms or else I will go broke! Anyone know if AdventureSpec is still selling Pyndon's pre-filter or where I can find one? Yes, I'm fine with modding the glovebox as I don't use it for anything anyway... Just need to keep some of the fine dust and crap out of these expensive filters,

Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #260
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

No one?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #261
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
No one?
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-uni-ktm-pre-filter

http://www.ktmtwins.com/rottweiler-k...-intake-system
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #262
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Is that uni-filter going to be my only choice? :( I know of it and I really like Pyndon's K&N with a screen better as it will last a lot longer between cleanings than a straight up oiled foam filter. What I'm really looking for is:

I know after Pyndon stopped making them then Adventure Spec picked up the sales and distribution of it... However, I cannot find that particular kit or filter anywehere. I may just start fabbing my own up,
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #263
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,335
I thought at this point the pre-filter is going by the wayside in favor of all the new filter options? I thought there were some interesting main filters which had it's own filter sock for situations like yours. But where they are in this vast site? It's worth digging around.

I really like my current set up which is Uni prefilter with PCSkins pre sock. And I alternate DNR or stock main filter depending on the density of dust in the terrain. I bring pre-oiled pre filter skins that can easily be swapped out on the trail for longer distances.

Some food for thought.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #264
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 159
I think I have a new UNI and a prefilter sittting in a box, pm me an offer if you want it, I will try and dig it out.
Might have something like the pyndon too, I really should check my list tonight.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #265
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I thought at this point the pre-filter is going by the wayside in favor of all the new filter options? I thought there were some interesting main filters which had it's own filter sock for situations like yours. But where they are in this vast site? It's worth digging around.

I really like my current set up which is Uni prefilter with PCSkins pre sock. And I alternate DNR or stock main filter depending on the density of dust in the terrain. I bring pre-oiled pre filter skins that can easily be swapped out on the trail for longer distances.

Some food for thought.
Yes, true... there are lots of new options. I'm just leery of reusable main filters due to their lack of ability in straining those super fine particles out. I will also not be taking my airbox off to mount a rottweiler filter because I've been known to go swimming on my bikes on occasion, hahaha! I guess it's a UniFilter and screens for me too. Nice part of that is that it's a straight swap out for the snorkel and yes, I will be carrying extra screens when riding that silty dust crap I find some places. I'll probably end up ordering a couple Uni's just so I can also have a foam ready to go on the shelf. The screens I can carry in my day bag in a ziploc.

Cheers man and thanks for the feedback on the Uni. I'd only read really old info on it and it all sounded like the bike was always running rich with it on. That's even ok with me so long as the bike never runs too lean... That would cause nightmares! Cheers!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #266
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Rear Axle Noise

Did my due diligence, searchedthe interwebs and found a few things, but nothing in specific to the 990... I'm worried I have an out of true rear axle as it's making some awful groaning noises, lol!

To break down the problem... Last week I was goingto change my rear tir. No biggy, right? Wrong... Couldn't get the axle out. Had to drift it out with a socket and long extension. OnceI did get it out it was evident that the paint on the axle was the issue. It had gummed up the inside of the left side wheel bearings. I replaced the wheel bearing, took the paint off the axle, lubed the hell out of it with my favorite grease, changed the tire, checked spokes and remounted the wheel. Didn't notice anything until I got back from my trip to Koocanusa. I figured it was just built up sand/dust/silt and took it for a wash and the groan/creak seemed to go away. Went for a ride tonight, it's definitely not gone.

No, the axle isn't over-torqued. If anything it's too loose. I only do up the nut with my trail lever and I checked it with a torque wrench and it's way under 90nm.

Yes, everything has grease.

No, the chain isn't too tight, a touch too loose if anything. Also, everything is properly aligned.

No, the adjuster blocks aren't cracked, nor is the axle loose in the adjuster block on the left side.

The wheel is true. The bearings are fine. The noise goes away when it's not tightened up so I'm thinking something must be binding in there. Before I go tear everything apart does anyone have any ideas or links to threads of this problem? I can take a vid of the noise and post it too.

Cheers
Old 07-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #267
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Never mind, fixed it.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #268
jameslawson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
and...

And what was the cause?
jameslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #269
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslawson View Post
And what was the cause?
Well, probably a combination of things. Blown seal on the right side was allowing water and dust into that side. Pulled the seal, about half a cup of water came out mixed with super fine powder silt... cleaned everything out, put a new bearing in the right side to match the new one in the left I replaced last weekend. Greased everything up with Timken pillow block grease (seriously the best grease you can use on parts that move and see water, dust etc). Put a new seal in (spacer is 'ok' but should be replaced next bearing change), new Nilos ring on the left side too. I think the hub bearings are ok, but I'll pick up some spares from my bearing guy tomorrow. They are 6006's in the hub and 6205's in the rear wheel itself. I get them at a fraction of the cost KTM wants, lol! Who seriously pays $45 per bearing?!?!?! The bearings I get do last too. They are FAG's and only cost me about $15 a pop. I'm still trying to source 3 lip seals in appropriate sizes for front and rear as they'll keep out the dust and crud better than the standard 2 lip seals that are on the bike now. I think SKF even makes some, but I need to talk to some people first before I say yes to that.

Funny thing about 6205 bearings... They are the same bearing for a pilot shaft in a small block chevy, :)
Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #270
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Dirty filter

Number 1 tip to having a clean air filter:

Don't follow the BMW guy!

MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Well... I'm now beseeching the OC's help. I really, really, really need a pre-filter. This is a pic of my filter after the single weekend I rode in Koocanusa. At $51 a pop I can't afford to replace this every 1000-2000kms or else I will go broke! Anyone know if AdventureSpec is still selling Pyndon's pre-filter or where I can find one? Yes, I'm fine with modding the glovebox as I don't use it for anything anyway... Just need to keep some of the fine dust and crap out of these expensive filters,

zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote