MZ
BINGO

Always be the lead dog!
DualSport650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #272
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
I ride sweep more often than not to keep myself with the group... Not that I'm pro or anything, I just get heavy handed, lol! Easier to lead from the back anyway.

Cheers!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #273
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Cheers man and thanks for the feedback on the Uni. I'd only read really old info on it and it all sounded like the bike was always running rich with it on. That's even ok with me so long as the bike never runs too lean... That would cause nightmares! Cheers!
I use a foam UNI pre filter with a filter skin and carry extra oiled skins in a baggie in my tank bag.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #274
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,259
Forgot to mention on Uni prefilter..

I did loose some power/ performance by adding the Uni. I gained a bit back with the DNA main filter, but wouldn't recommend that in super fine calc dust. But extra filtration and engine longevity is more of my priority. Other's priorities vary!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #275
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I use a foam UNI pre filter with a filter skin and carry extra oiled skins in a baggie in my tank bag.
Yep, I would definitely carry a few skins too. I do carry a spare skin even when on the 450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I did loose some power/ performance by adding the Uni. I gained a bit back with the DNA main filter, but wouldn't recommend that in super fine calc dust. But extra filtration and engine longevity is more of my priority. Other's priorities vary!
Meh, I'm not worried about losing a few ponies. It has almost too much power now. There's no way I use all 110+hp on tight trails, lol! It's certainly nice to have on the highway and out where it's open, but 90hp is plenty for everything I do. As long as I don't drop it past that mark I'll be happy enough.

Gozirra, did you find that Uni? Get me a shipped price? I'd love to try it out on my next venture to Koocanusa!

Had a pretty busy weekend, but not on the 990... I'm not being a traitor here, but I finally finally finally got my 450 EXC-R trail worthy and rode it almost all weekend! So much fun going straight up the side of a mountain, hahaha! A buddy and I went exploring to a place called Fallen Timber which is pretty close to where I live. Day trip kind of territory. Rode pretty cautious most of the day as we don't really know the trails out there, but certainly had a lot of fun. Had a third show up at around 6pm and I wouldn't say she's novice, but we certainly tamed our riding down a little bit to accommodate. Was a lot of fun and I'm going to start a build/write up on that 08 450 EXC-R sometime later today too. It's a bike that may find itself in Baja for pleasure riding and possibly an entrance in the 250, ;)

Here's a bad pic of it for a teaser. Still waiting on some essentials and still debating some of the rallye kit that I will want to equip, but I have 100+ days to decide on some things yet.

And a short vid from one of our explorations. It's so odd not having a big bike on these trails. Everything is bloody effortless, but the lack of inertia and mass still has my brain kind of screwed up, haha! The custom suspension work done by Rider's Edge (a big shoutout to Lee here locally in Alberta who did the valving and got me that lovely progressive rear spring to go with the plush new bladder/reservoir) is quite the treat... I've never had a suspension tuned just for me and having a works class ride is pretty amazing... I feel very spoilt and I'm so impressed with the ride that I'm going to be getting the 990's stretch/stiffening/revalve done by Rider's Edge also. I know, I know... SPS is the big dog and main man when it comes to the 990 suspension, but Rider's Edge has experience with the same process and frankly I like to spend locally... and to guys who understand my interest in the details and who are willing to get it just the way I want it without being a dick, lol!

Cheers!

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 12:02 PM
Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #276
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

A short blurb on the making of that 450... ;)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903945
Old 07-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #277
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
A short blurb on the making of that 450... ;)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903945
How much did you pay for the 450?

I am looking forward to the 390 enduro. Could be a perfect cheap commuter to university for me and a dirt blaster too. I almost wonder if it would be better than the 990 for me while in school as the 990 is not a good commuter for 40km a day 5 days a week all year. My car is cheaper to run. But a bike for parking would be great. I would even consider a ct110 postie bike if it wasn't for the 15km highway part. I think I could ride one of them even in a decent snow storm.
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #278
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
How much did you pay for the 450?

I am looking forward to the 390 enduro. Could be a perfect cheap commuter to university for me and a dirt blaster too. I almost wonder if it would be better than the 990 for me while in school as the 990 is not a good commuter for 40km a day 5 days a week all year. My car is cheaper to run. But a bike for parking would be great. I would even consider a ct110 postie bike if it wasn't for the 15km highway part. I think I could ride one of them even in a decent snow storm.
Lol... Shamefully I don't wanna talk prices. I over-paid, but it was my bad as I had someone look at the bike for me instead of assessing it myself. Street legal 450's are hard to come by though. Realistically the bike was worth about $3000-3500 as it was when I bought it. If that's in your price range and you don't need to freshen it up too much it would be worth it. I built a pure enduro long legged beast though... I really couldn't tell you what I spent as I've lost track, lol!

A GOOD 450 will probably fetch $4500-5000.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #279
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

You could swing by and check it out if you want. Headed to McLean tomorrow with some buddies, but usually home in the evenings. Just remember that the smaller the engine the more maintenance you do like oil changes and air filters, ;)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #280
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You could swing by and check it out if you want. Headed to McLean tomorrow with some buddies, but usually home in the evenings. Just remember that the smaller the engine the more maintenance you do like oil changes and air filters, ;)
Yeh but they do say the 390 is going to have sensible service intervals.

Something like a wr250 or drz400 would be good. But they seem so cheap alongside the ktms.

But I don't want to mile out my 990 on boring commutes. Especially as I'm trying to be frugal while not working for the next few years.

The pain is the ctrain lot is full so early for my car, so a cheap bike to ride all the way to school would be great. And the small ktm could give me a dirt toy too.

I need to get on and sell my Dakar too. It's just gathering dust.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #281
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Yeh but they do say the 390 is going to have sensible service intervals.

Something like a wr250 or drz400 would be good. But they seem so cheap alongside the ktms.

But I don't want to mile out my 990 on boring commutes. Especially as I'm trying to be frugal while not working for the next few years.

The pain is the ctrain lot is full so early for my car, so a cheap bike to ride all the way to school would be great. And the small ktm could give me a dirt toy too.
Imho... A WR250R with SM rims would be a better commuter... More fun on tarmac and later on you could get some Warp9 rims for dirt for not a LOT of $$$...
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #282
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Imho... A WR250R with SM rims would be a better commuter... More fun on tarmac and later on you could get some Warp9 rims for dirt for not a LOT of $$$...
Yeh makes sense. It's a shame we don't get the great small engines bikes here like the rest of the world.
The Honda farm bikes would be perfect.

In all seriousness I might still consider a ct110. Sure it will take me 15 min longer. But they are so small and light I could ride in any weather. And they would save me a fortune in gas.

I would like to call by and take a look at your bikes for sure.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #283
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Any time man! Just PM me or drop a line on here, :)
Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #284
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Moose

So... Been using a Moose Racing screen for about a week now.

The air around my head is perfectly clean now. I didn't notice a lot of buffeting before, but now there is ZERO. :) Lotsa bugs on my goggles though, hahaha!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #285
chill622
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
What happened to KaptinKaos and his build reports? I enjoyed the story so far.
chill622 is offline   Reply With Quote