ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #301
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Don't squeeze as hard?
Yeah, easy to say... But my point was that it's a whole lot more brake than a guy needs in the dirt. It's more than I need and squeezing the minimum amount still locks up the front in loose stuff. Having less braking surface would in essence make a larger range of useable braking power. Food for thought for those that think it's as easy as just not locking up the front. ;)
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #302
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
The braking question is really a personal riding issue. The stock Adventure setup is a compromise--too strong for serious dirt riding and too soft for serious street riding. Maybe right for a mix-depending on how you mix it.

Ride a sport bike and experience real on road braking. Ride a dirt bike and experience real off road braking. Now figure out where you want to be between the two or some combination. Dial up the level of compromise that is right for YOU.

Problem is--the Adventure is just too versatile.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #303
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,749
Yeah, I've heard this before.

This is the internet, and it's difficult to hear subtle tone and inflection, so let me make it clear- I'm not arguing, nor insulting anyone. But I would, if you don't mind, offer a different point of view. As this is a public forum, I assume it's ok.

So we're not fighting, OK?

I believe there is great merit to training and practice. I've never met a single farkle or mod (and I've met a lot) that made me go faster and safer than spending the same money on training and practice. Training for me has included track schools at Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Sears Point (yeah- old names) and Motoventures on the dirt.

I can barely buy the argument that a 9xx might be improved by removing one of the front discs/calipers for weight savings- I MIGHT buy it.

But downgrading a bike's capabilites because I'm not good enough to modulate the front brake (and I'm not claiming I AM) does not make a lick 'o sense to me. It indicates I need more practice and training (I do!- always) or a lower performing motorcycle that's more suited to my [lack of] ability- in other words, I've bought a bike that's too good for me.

Instead of downgrading a perfectly good bike, I should UPgrade my skills.

Again, no offense- we don't know each other, and I'm only offering a different point of view.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #304
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Lol... We're not arguing. Fwiw, I haven't switched to a single rotor and ride the 990 like it's an SE, ;)

SE's had a single rotor, no? All of the Dakar 9XX's had singles. I'm just saying a single rotor iseasier to manage off road. Is it a street downgrade? Absolutely. Again, I haven't removed mine, won't do it for weight savings, but maybe down the road when I do the brake lines I'll do it single rotor.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #305
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Fakename--I get that you don't get it.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #306
NMZens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Eh? Why are so many people so passionate about single disk conversions on an ADV990?

I don't get it.

I have a '12 990 R, and I've been contemplating going to a single disk for a while now. I agree the stock dual rotors are much too powerful for off road. I also live in New Mexico, where without rain our sand can swallow up a 500 pound bike quickly, so a little unsprung weight couldn't hurt.

I've filtered through numerous posts about the advantages and disavantages of going to single disk and most neigh-sayers argue (and it inevitably leads into an argument) that stopping distances will be dramatically affected on the street.

Agreed, but only if a street biased tire is utilized.

My stock tires are Pirelli Scorps, on the street the dual rotors were more than adequate and a good match, however what no one really has discussed is when a 990 is running a set of knobbys, which lets face it that's why we ride 990's!!! How over-powered are the dual rotors for a front knobby on the street?

I just installed a dirt set of rims and tires (Dunlop 908's) on my motorcycle at the beginning of this riding season for the first time. The first thing that I noticed was that braking distances were HUGELY increased as the tire just didn't have enough surface contact area to keep from skidding under hard braking (heck, firm braking will break the front loose) especially in a panic stop situation. I never hear anyone refuting the use of a knobby tire on the pavement, which I believe poses more of a risk than a 990 with a pure street tire and a single disk on the pavement ever would.

To each his own, build it for how you ride it. Keep it safe and the rubber side down!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #307
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

OK. First apologies to the OP for this thread who didn't appear to be looking for a discussion of single vs 2 disc braking. I posted here based on my misunderstanding that the Baja model used a single disc like the Super Enduro.

I already know I want to go to a single disc. I won't even go over my rationale, which has been widely discussed on many other threads. You may think I am wrong. You may not understand why I would want to make this mod. But, I am NOT asking for advice as to whether or not I should make this mod. There are many threads which discuss/debate this question. Go there and weigh in, if that's your deal. For your riding, it may not make sense. For mine it does. More power to you.

As suggested by the last responder, set your bike up for what you ride.

PS: You might even learn something from listening to others riding different conditions than you. I sure do.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #308
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMZens View Post
I've filtered through numerous posts about the advantages and disavantages of going to single disk and most neigh-sayers argue (and it inevitably leads into an argument) that stopping distances will be dramatically affected on the street.

Agreed, but only if a street biased tire is utilized.

My stock tires are Pirelli Scorps, on the street the dual rotors were more than adequate and a good match, however what no one really has discussed is when a 990 is running a set of knobbys, which lets face it that's why we ride 990's!!! How over-powered are the dual rotors for a front knobby on the street?

I just installed a dirt set of rims and tires (Dunlop 908's) on my motorcycle at the beginning of this riding season for the first time. The first thing that I noticed was that braking distances were HUGELY increased as the tire just didn't have enough surface contact area to keep from skidding under hard braking (heck, firm braking will break the front loose) especially in a panic stop situation. I never hear anyone refuting the use of a knobby tire on the pavement, which I believe poses more of a risk than a 990 with a pure street tire and a single disk on the pavement ever would.

To each his own, build it for how you ride it. Keep it safe and the rubber side down!
^--- I agree with all of that 100%. I don't ride much street and when I do I would rather modify my riding habit on the pavement to be more cautious than to have to modify my braking habits off road. I ride 450's quite a bit and am used to their nature off road and really the only time I want to be on pavement is... wait, I never WANT to be on pavement. That's where you get speeding tickets and that's where the young mothers that don't pay attention while driving their minivans are. Fwiw, when on pavement I generally stick to speed limits, give a LOT of distance between me and the car in front and basically ride like everyone else on the road with me is a total idiot who just got their license yesterday. I've had to emergency brake ONCE in the last 5 years on pavement and that was on a 450 on some back road in San Felipe and it was cabby who didn't care who had the right of way. Single rotor then, locked up the front, calmly released a bit, didn't go down, no one hurt. I can handle a front lock up, ;) Freaked me out a bit though. Pavement is hard as my broken kneecap last year demonstrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
OK. First apologies to the OP for this thread who didn't appear to be looking for a discussion of single vs 2 disc braking. I posted here based on my misunderstanding that the Baja model used a single disc like the Super Enduro.

I already know I want to go to a single disc. I won't even go over my rationale, which has been widely discussed on many other threads. You may think I am wrong. You may not understand why I would want to make this mod. But, I am NOT asking for advice as to whether or not I should make this mod. There are many threads which discuss/debate this question. Go there and weigh in, if that's your deal. For your riding, it may not make sense. For mine it does. More power to you.

As suggested by the last responder, set your bike up for what you ride.

PS: You might even learn something from listening to others riding different conditions than you. I sure do.
No worries man!!! I intended this to be a suppository of 990 goodness and opinions are completely welcome. I hate to say it, but I haven't gone to a single rotor out sheer laziness. I couldn't be bothered to get a single line made up, haha! Been so busy building this years Baja bike (2013 Honda 450X yippee!), working, and getting around to servicing the EXC I took to Baja last Dec that I just wanna ride. You assumed correct that the SE had a single and I only wish the 950SE was still around. My bike is basically becoming an SE, but with ADV fuel tanks. As far as my riding and touring etc go, it'll work perfect for me. I can compromise on the street handling as I don't ride hard where cops can chase you, but I do like to have a bit of fun in the dirt. As you said, setting it up for what I ride, ;) Now if only I could find an extra 12 hours per day to work on bikes and ride... 3 full on tear downs all at once is almost nightmarish!

Cheers everyone and so long as the convo stays civil I'm absolutely open to all opinions and discussions on any and every facet of this bike. I LOVE IT and still have a lot to learn about it!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 PM   #309
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
I believe there is great merit to training and practice. I've never met a single farkle or mod (and I've met a lot) that made me go faster and safer than spending the same money on training and practice. Training for me has included track schools at Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, Sears Point (yeah- old names) and Motoventures on the dirt.

I can barely buy the argument that a 9xx might be improved by removing one of the front discs/calipers for weight savings- I MIGHT buy it.

But downgrading a bike's capabilites because I'm not good enough to modulate the front brake (and I'm not claiming I AM) does not make a lick 'o sense to me. It indicates I need more practice and training (I do!- always) or a lower performing motorcycle that's more suited to my [lack of] ability- in other words, I've bought a bike that's too good for me.

Instead of downgrading a perfectly good bike, I should UPgrade my skills.

Again, no offense- we don't know each other, and I'm only offering a different point of view.
Of course, practice makes perfect. I've been on bikes most of my life and the 9XX is truly the penultimate bike for me to ride off road. I don't live near Laguna Seca, nor do I like to go fast on pavement unless it's a 450 with SM rims on it. I live and ride in the mountains. I travel to the desert to ride too. Canada doesn't have race courses like the US, lol! I like quick, but high speeds give me the heebies when I'm on asphalt. Oddly, 100mph+ on dirt? Doesn't even make me blink... I'm seeing a distinct difference in our riding though and I can tell you that the only thing I get out of going fast on pavement is bad habits off road. It's a completely different riding style right down to weight transfer.

The weight of a rotor and caliper is insignificant compared to the weight of the bike. Performance gain would be exceedingly miniscule. I would get rid of it mostly to decrease the harshness of the braking power off road only.

I upgrade my skills every day I ride. However, doesn't make me a 9XX pro rider overnight. Equipping the bike to your specific needs allows for some forgiveness and a sense of familiarity if it's what you're used to, right? If you like a certain tire compound on one bike when you are on the track wouldn't you prefer the other bike you ride to perform and feel the same? Especially under braking? Of course the weight will be different, but predictability goes a long way off road. Knowing your machine and it's tendencies is huge for me.

I see your point of view, but I feel it applies more to pavement where the traction is much greater than off road. By off road I mean off road, not a gravel road. Your view absolutely has merit though and should not be taken lightly. If the 990 was going to primarily on pavement then I would probably leave the brakes just the way they are and modify my riding off road to accommodate the harshness of the brakes. I've dealt with it so far and it hasn't been an issue, but I think I would prefer it a little softer. Thanks for your input!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #310
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

One other tidbit, Pyndon did the Dakar on a 950... with DUAL brakes, lol! Skill has a lot to do with everything and well, my skill isn't as high as his, ;)

Braking distances in snow are much decreased too, ;)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 11:35 PM
Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #311
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
No worries man!!! I intended this to be a suppository of 990 goodness and opinions are completely welcome.
Great thread indeed (subscribed since the start), but could we make it into a repository instead...
Old 05-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #312
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Great thread indeed (subscribed since the start), but could we make it into a repository instead...
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I am such a Derp sometimes... I'm so leaving that in there to scare off the people who don't actually read it all, haha!

But yes, repository is a much better idea than a rectally administered version, :)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #313
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Of course, practice makes perfect. I've been on bikes most of my life and the 9XX is truly the penultimate bike for me to ride off road.
Now I'm really curious- what would you consider to be the ultimate bike to ride off-road?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #314
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Either a 660RR or a 950RR of course, :)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #315
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Or... To answer that more literally... Meoni's bike like Meoni would have ridden it. I'm not that good though and doubt I ever will be. I can settle for less than the ultimate, ;)