Old 05-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #316
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Either a 660RR or a 950RR of course, :)
Or smth like this:

Lyndon Poskitt's new toy (lucky bastard!), details and more pics here: http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...egory/the-bike
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #317
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,707
Lyndon competed on a 450 Factory R in the Dakar. He rode his 950 to and around North Africa, Dakar. Big difference.
Now, he is off on a truely big adventure on his hand built 690 Rally Factory replica.

Quote:
One other tidbit, Pyndon did the Dakar on a 950... with DUAL brakes, lol! Skill has a lot to do with everything and well, my skill isn't as high as his, ;)

Braking distances in snow are much decreased too, ;)

Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #318
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Lol... Yes, I forgot... 450RR not a 950RR. :) And yes, Africa, not Dakar, lol!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #319
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Fender

What's the main reason you went to a raised fender kit?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #320
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
What's the main reason you went to a raised fender kit?
Mud... Alberta gumbo to be specific, lol! Had a low fender on my Dakar for years and fought with it every spring. Get enough of our lovely clay mud in there and the front wheel stops turning. Figured I'd forgo that pleasure with this bike. High fender works great! I will probably swap it back on if I intend on doing a mostly paved trip though just to keep the spray off my legs when it rains.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #321
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Mud... Alberta gumbo to be specific, lol! Had a low fender on my Dakar for years and fought with it every spring. Get enough of our lovely clay mud in there and the front wheel stops turning. Figured I'd forgo that pleasure with this bike. High fender works great! I will probably swap it back on if I intend on doing a mostly paved trip though just to keep the spray off my legs when it rains.
Ah, that's what I figured. We don't too much of that in the Southwest Deserts. Thx
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #322
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

RAD Manufacturing pulled through and got me this quickly, I've been having fun being a total hooligan on my street legal 450's, but I really miss the 990 and it makes me stare longingly at the pile of parts and disassembled back end of it, lol! Ta-daaaa! Dropping it off to be laced and trued in the AM. I am in the middle of a move right now and just don't have the time or room to do it myself, :( My guys owe me a few hours anyway, ;)

Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #323
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
RAD Manufacturing pulled through and got me this quickly, I've been having fun being a total hooligan on my street legal 450's, but I really miss the 990 and it makes me stare longingly at the pile of parts and disassembled back end of it, lol! Ta-daaaa! Dropping it off to be laced and trued in the AM. I am in the middle of a move right now and just don't have the time or room to do it myself, :( My guys owe me a few hours anyway, ;)

Of all of the things I can do to a motorcycle, lacing a wheel is something I've never learned to do. I know it isn't rocket science, but still.

Any reason you can't use the stock spokes if the bike is fairly new?

ben
Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #324
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Of all of the things I can do to a motorcycle, lacing a wheel is something I've never learned to do. I know it isn't rocket science, but still.

Any reason you can't use the stock spokes if the bike is fairly new?

ben
Lol, lacing a wheel is tedious... Very tedious. A decent trueing stand isn't expensive (~$80), but a spoke torque wrench can be. If you consider the time needed though and you plan on doing more than one wheel it's worth it to save paying shop rates. Great way to spend a snowy winter day, lol!

The stock wheel center is shorter than a normal skinny rear 18" by about a half inch. The stock spokes were about that much too short to really have a good amount of thread contact in the nipples. I did order spokes and they are long enough, but forgot to check off heavy duty spokes so the ones I have are pretty sloppy in the spoke holes. RAD has a second set on its way to me now. I just wanna ride this beast, :( The wait will pay off though and as is normal in modifying stuff it's a learning process, ;)
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #325
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Rear 2.5" wheel

Well, now she's a 990ADV-SE!!! What a difference!!! Just a short recon ride, but it turns like I would expect it to, handles great in the loose stuff and doesn't feel sluggish in the bum anymore, lol!

Stock 4.25" compared to the 2.5"

Gratuitous a$$ shot,

I'm probably going to head south on a solo trip soon to hook up with some buddies in Spokane, Seattle and then on down to San Fran. Mostly paved the way there, hence the T63 on the back. I'l put a T63 on the front now too. When I get down to San Fran I'll pop on something more dirt friendly like some Michelin Deserts or 908's as the guys I'll link up with will want to head out to the desert and/or do some trails in Mendocino or similar areas. This bike is aaaaaaalmost what I want it to be. Suspension and probably ditch one of the front calipers are about all that's left.

Bled the brakes amongst other servicing today while waiting to pick up the wheel and only one caliper bled dark... Leads me to believe I definitely have WAY more brakes than I need or use. Might not be a mod for everyone, but after seeing the brake fluids and interpreting that one caliper is basically dead weight, I'm for sure on side for that mod now.

Sexy b!tch...