Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #91
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
If you go up in suspension, plan on replacing the center/side stands. I just did it, and parking the bike is wonky. One can get away with it, but really not stable.
Not going to replace, merely modify, :) I'll cut them and weld in a new section to stretch them out. Much cheaper than buying new stands, lol!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #92
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Unfortunately I don't have my mapsource loaded up on my laptop at the moment... Needed a fresh Win7 install before I came to work this time, but here's the rough route on the southward section. This is the maiden voyage, solo ride, shakedown. I apologize for the amount of pavement involved, but at least it's not interstate, lol! The % of slab explains the tire swap I'm doing too...

http://goo.gl/maps/V7D8u

Where I stay the first night depends on the time crunch. I'm thinking St. Mary's if I get a late start on the 23rd, but if not I'll push all the way to West Glacier. There's a pretty nice campground there and I'd be that much closer to Spokane which is destination #1. Stay a night there, visit a friend and his wife then on to Puyallup the next day. It's only 1440kms so it's a pretty casual schedule. I'm leaving room for bugs and gremlins and shakedown oddities, lol! After Puyallup I'll head North to Van Island for a few days and then back East through BC to Edmonton to visit family, then home to Calgary via the ever so boring Hwy 2...
Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #93
crunchiespg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
do you know of anywhere in Calgary area that might have a 990 available to test ride? or even where one could be rented for a day?

im very tempted by one, but wary of spending $17k on a bike ive never ridden..
cheers
'05 F650GS Dakar (sold)
Plus about 50 previous bikes in Europe...
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #94
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
do you know of anywhere in Calgary area that might have a 990 available to test ride? or even where one could be rented for a day?

im very tempted by one, but wary of spending $17k on a bike ive never ridden..
cheers
Nope... Unless Blackfoot has a demo. Check their website or go down and talk to Jay Fox. They only brought 5 in and I had #2 of the 5 last month. Far as I know he was down to only 2 units before I flew out here so there might still be one in stock, :) I doubt it is a demo though... What do you ride now? What do you want to ride?

*Edit: Lol, RENT a 990??? I'm pretty sure that place doesn't exist. Anywhere.

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 09:10 PM
Old 05-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #95
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Just an FYI for other Baja owners reading this thread. The death wobble that occurs from 65-85mph is gone now that I put a Michelin T63 on the front. My bike currently has 110 miles on it. I bought it two days ago. I can now go up over 100mph smoothly. Grooved pavement also didn't upset the bike. I still plan on a steering damper for riding in sand and better control in rock gardens. I had a Scott's on my 640 Adventure and I loved it.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #96
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Just an FYI for other Baja owners reading this thread. The death wobble that occurs from 65-85mph is gone now that I put a Michelin T63 on the front. My bike currently has 110 miles on it. I bought it two days ago. I can now go up over 100mph smoothly. Grooved pavement also didn't upset the bike. I still plan on a steering damper for riding in sand and better control in rock gardens. I had a Scott's on my 640 Adventure and I loved it.
Lol, thanks Jon, I meant to actually link your thread to here so that it becomes an awareness issue. I will do a tire swap in the front also and report back on success/failure of getting rid of that wobble. Those 908's are awesome for everything BUT pavement and it seems the 990 front end geometry accentuates it. Cheers and kudos for adding that!!! (T63 has been my favorite front tire for 8 years now... so cheap and great for ANYTHING! They wear fantastically too imo.)

*Edit: Jon's wobble thread

More wobble info

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 02:45 AM
Old 05-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #97
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 320
Dampener

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Lol, I meant the choice of what's out there for the 990 as far as dampeners go. The 990 has a twitch to it that makes me leery, but only at 100kph+ or on roads with an excess of tar stripes. It may be a combo of the soft standard suspension setting (which I dialed up to sport before shipping out, but never got to ride it due to heavy snowfall...) and those wonderful 908's that are stock. I have zero complaints as far as the handling goes when off road. Deep gravel, no twitch. Muck, no twitch. Perhaps I should tune the suspension to my needs prior to that choice and see if I can remedy it? It's a lot more bike power-wise than the Dakar and maybe I'm just abusing that power when on pavement too... Sell me on why not to do it and I'll save $700, lol!!!

Had a front tube failure while in Mexico at 75 mph about 20 days ago and my dampener saved my arse.....also do a bit of beach, sand and volcanic ash riding here and gets my recomendation for sure.

My 2 centavos worth!

Stigo

First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #98
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Haven't put a pic up lately... Inspiration Point, Bryce Canyon. (Ignore the pork chops, it was a bet. I won.

THREE DAYS TILL SHIPPING OUT!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #99
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:

I am not a Baja owner, nor have I ever ridden one, but I have had 4 950's now. The Baja is a 990, no different, and the 990 chassis is a 950. The wobble you speak of has been there, for some bikes, from the beginning. It can be dealt with, or chased, with tires, but it is truly a suspension tuning issue. A damper can also help, but this can almost ALWAYS be tuned out with preload and compression settings.

If the KTM manual for these bikes still has a suspension baseline for 'Soft', 'standard' and 'sport' settings, go to the 'sport' settings and I would bet money the wobble goes away regardless of tire.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #100
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
If the KTM manual for these bikes still has a suspension baseline for 'Soft', 'standard' and 'sport' settings, go to the 'sport' settings and I would bet money the wobble goes away regardless of tire.
You would have lost your money to me then. First thing I tried was setting preload and the "sport" settings. It still wobbled just as bad as on the standard suspension settings. I'm going from Phoenix to LA in a few minutes and will set it back to standard settings to see how it does. I will report back tonight. Then tomorrow I will go play in the deserts of Southern California and get the suspension even more dialed in.

Kaptinkaos,

I love riding Utah. You should also check out Antelope Canyon in Arizona if you haven't been.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Canyon

If you ever need a shower and a place to crash just west of Phoenix(exit 103 off I-10), feel free to PM me. I've got a spare bedroom or a travel trailer next to the house.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #101
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
You would have lost your money to me then. First thing I tried was setting preload and the "sport" settings. It still wobbled just as bad as on the standard suspension settings. I'm going from Phoenix to LA in a few minutes and will set it back to standard settings to see how it does. I will report back tonight. Then tomorrow I will go play in the deserts of Southern California and get the suspension even more dialed in.

Kaptinkaos,

I love riding Utah. You should also check out Antelope Canyon in Arizona if you haven't been.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Canyon

If you ever need a shower and a place to crash just west of Phoenix(exit 103 off I-10), feel free to PM me. I've got a spare bedroom or a travel trailer next to the house.
Sorry it wasn't a easy fix Jon, but it is a balance between front and rear weight distribution. So now you need to try varying the settings (sport/standard) from front to rear. It is there, I swear it!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #102
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

I need to respring it first. I weigh 275lbs. I also just ordered my first farkle. The carbon rally style windscreen that an inmate(rade) makes.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #103
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
I need to respring it first. I weigh 275lbs. I also just ordered my first farkle. The carbon rally style windscreen that an inmate(rade) makes.
Lol... Thou shall not called it a farkle no more ser... Farkle is a Beemer guy term. Like me, you gotta shake the fuel mileage/safety first cobwebs out... Lol! Rade has a nice piece of kit inbound to me in a couple of months too... We'll call it project x for now. I'll post some pics of an updated item tomorrow when I get back to a laptop. I hate posting from a phone!!!

Btw, ditto for crash space and a shop to work on a bike if you're ever up north around Calgary, Alberta. If I'm in the country and hope my tools and time are free to anyone who needs them! I have a feeling I'll be in your neighborhood in a few months though... The flat pans of Vermilion Cliffs are calling me...
Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #104
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Sneak preview...

Of the TF5 that I will try out... DAYUM dats sexy! I hope it performs as good or better than the stock and if so then I won't be disappointed. I really didn't mind the stock screen, but this shape screams awesomesauce on this bike. I opted for the cheaper fibreglass as I tend to break windscreens a lot in the bushes. I have a feeling this will be a "touring" shield for me and that I'll either cut down the stocker for bush-banging or just get a Moose shorty and keep the stock screen as is.

(I like to keep all the stock parts off a bike in a rubbermaid container for those times I'm waiting for a spare to arrive or in the case of an issue arising with chassis tuning. That way I can go right back to stock to sort it out step by step.)

A shout out to Warren for doing this for me!
http://www.rallyscreens.com/index.html
As far as I know it's the only white one to date, lol!

Someone just asked me, "How do you see through that?" I resisted the urge to respond sarcastically and instead asked them if they rode a cruiser with a delivery bike style half moon windscreen...
Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #105
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Went from Phoenix to LA with the T63 front tire and 908 rear tire. No death wobble. Once I got into the crappy roads of LA county I had some wiggle changing lanes over wide grooves, but nothing I would consider dangerous.

Before I left the house.

What the T63 looked like after 350 miles of slab at 80-90mph. 95-110F ambient temps, so you know the roads were HOT.